• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Fringe

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else watching this one?

I DVR'ed the first 2 episodes and watched them last night.

The previews made it look like it had a X-Filesy flair w/ the FBI investigating paranormal events.

While I wasnt blown away, I felt it was a solid enough beginning w/ a few hit/miss scenes.

I loved the old scientist "Walter". The lead "Olivia" seemed capable but needs to tighten up her acting. The guy "Peter" was the one I had the most hit/miss with. He is essentially the comic relief and while it works well, his delivery is too formulaic - he always chimes in with a quip thats just too "written" and he comes off as a douche. anyway, he needs some work.

The stories were interesting enough although require a great deal of suspension of disbelief.

In short its basically its a less plausible, more over the top x-files. I know thats not too flattering sounding but thats the best I could do.

what say you?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be honest, they tried so hard to cram "A JJ ABRAMS TV SHOW!!" down out throats that I was sick of it before it even aired.

That coupled with the fact that the first episode was just kinda "Meh" means I won't bother again.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw the first episode. DVR'd the second. I wasn't totally blown away, but I'll give it a chance. John Noble from Lord of the Rings is always fun to watch as someone teetering on the edge of insanity. Glad to see he got another gig after Journeyman was canceled.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've seen a few episodes now, and while the content is interesting (and john noble as "walter" is as well) i don't think this show will last. it just lacks chemistry and well thought out subplots to keep the show going.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its a good show but dawson creek in freaken annoying, a couple of episodes ago they finally gave his caractor a reason to identify with his father and if the writers actually expand on that to grow his caractor then it might get better

Faustus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched the first 5, because here in the UK Sky has only shown 5 so far. I'm a bit lukewarm about it. Nothing particularly outstanding about it and then again nothing that bad about it. It's building up this 'Pattern' thing slowly but not adding much to it with every episode. It seems that Denethor-Steward-of-Gondor/Walter has done just about everything, the main woman character is bland and Dawson's-Creek-dude just kind of stumbles through it all. As it stands, I don't think I'm going to bother watching the entire series.
On a separate rant, it really annoys me how series are all planned in 5-year stints. Why can't a series last a single season any more?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fringe has been a grower for me - didn't particularly like the pilot, the blatant ripoff of the X-Files titles, the female lead or those big chunky location titles that no-one seems to walk into.

It has however seemingly improved. Walter is fantastic and easily the breakout star here. Anna Torv - meh, she's OK and Pacey(that's who he was in Dawsons Creek) has always been a fairly strong actor - although he's Pacey again here but older. Ironically enough, on AintitCool - they're blessing this as the best thing last year....hmmmm, wouldn't go that far....

fixati0n

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been watching since the beginning and love it. I hate waiting until April for new episodes.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have watched 4 episodes now and it seems it is getting lame...

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i felt the same way. it was ok but not enough for me to tune in each week. I will give it another chance when the dvd gets a release.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like this a lot (six episodes in). It's silly, and it seems the actors are having fun with their characters. While it's HEAVILY inspired by X-Files, it doesn't have that show's seriousness. That's both good and bad - good if you want entertainment. You should have popcorn with this.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
episode 12 from season 2 was obviously left over from season 1. besides it being not great, I feel offended to be shown an episode that totally spoils the time frame.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i abandoned season 1 and have seen a few eps of season 2 and think it is a LOT better

but the show really suffers from workable subplots or ANY driving force linking the episodes together. really frustrating.

MonkandHam

Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
episode 12 from season 2 was obviously left over from season 1. besides it being not great, I feel offended to be shown an episode that totally spoils the time frame.
My biggest gripe with this was.....I record episodes and make my own box sets of shows....I had season one finished....now I have to go back and figure where to put that episode into the timeline and redo my covers.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the show, but not liking season 2 nearly as much as season 1. Where in season one even though each episode had it's own story and mysteries, there was always some connection, even if it was small, to the main plot driving everything. Every single episode tied into it in some form. Now lately, there have been several episodes that did not have this connection, and it's been somewhat disappointing, and the overall story seems to be meandering quite a bit right now.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well its like X-Files in that some episodes will deal with the mythology and others won't. The last episode they showed, "Jacksonville" dealt with Olivia's childhood experiments and the ability to see things from the alternate universe. At the end of the episode she discovered Peter's secret, and the new episode for next week is entitled "Peter" and will deal with Walter going into the alternate universe to kidnap the other Peter. I believe this will not only explain why he went crazy, but hopefully set up an ultimate showdown with an evil Walter angered with revenge from the alternate universe. I hope :)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd filed Fringe away as a silly, but entertaining show, and just barely kept watching. But the streak from the Jacksonville episode to the season finale was pure brilliance, with playfully batshit concepts making the show spin out of control - in the good sense. I LOVED LOVED LOVED the two part finale, and I'm psyched to see the third season now.

Oh, and in a (for me) rare case of perceptiveness I totally called both the direction with angry Walternate (great name, btw) as the "villain" and the exchange of Olivias at the end. And I LOVED seeing the magic typewriter again! That's the best silly-effect ever. I may be wrong about who's writing what on the show, but the typewriter is one of the (few) things about Fringe that seems like pure Abrams to me.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched all of the episodes a short while ago (I didn't realize there was a thread for it LOL) based on boon's recommendation.

This show just kept on getting better as the characters grew to know each other more and more.

However, I have a feeling that they are going to screw this up, but I hope not.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's back on! I loved the season premiere, and there's plenty of room for interesting developments from here.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was leery of Fringe when it started, and almost didn't stick with it, but by the sixth or seventh episode they really hit their stride. One of my favorites on tv now.

Top Bottom