• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Premiere Pro - wrong duration after AVI import

Mammam

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hey guys, I'm having a weird problem

Quite a while ago, still under W7, I was working on a project and wanted to entertain the possbility of going back to that project one day.
I exported the then-final video (premiere pro export, sequence setting) and ended up with an .mpeg that I could easily re-import
the sequence setting was based on the original m2ts file, that I just imported into Premiere Pro

I also exported all 6 .wav files for my audio

the video as well as the .wavs have a duration of 2:51:52

Fast Forward a year, now using W10, all the files a re still intact and I want to re-ignite the project.
First of all, I can't import the .mpeg (the .mpeg Premiere Pro created itself)
"There was an error decompressing audio or video"
Despite extensive google research I couldn''t find a fix for this

Then it dawned me that if Premiere has a problem with the container, why not change it?
I simply renamed my .mpeg into an .avi and it imprtet without problems

HOWEVER suddenly the file has a duration of 2.51.55
sure, it's just 3 seconds but given that I exported and saved all my .wav audio files seperetaly (and they a re imported with the correct duration) you can image the sync mess in the second half of the movie

So I'm puzzled by this. If I play the .mpeg/.avi in VLC it has the correct duration. The stretching seems to happen while importing the file into Premiere. The original file has a framerate of 23,97 and according to the Premire so does the importet file

Any ideas?

ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : High@High
Format settings, BVOP                    : No
Format settings, Matrix                  : Default
Format settings, GOP                     : N=3
Duration                                 : 2 h 51 min
Bit rate                                 : 24.4 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 24.9 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.491
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Closed
Stream size                              : 29.3 GiB (96%)
Color primaries                          : BT.709

First off, I highly doubt this is a Windows 10 problem. Second, I don't think you can just change the extension of an MPEG2 to an AVI. Even though they are both container files they use different codecs unlike M4V and MP4.

Is this the same project file as you used before? If so have you tried creating a new one and importing the MPEG2? Have you tried playing the MPEG2 in VLC or some other player to see if it plays?

It's a new project file. I only saved the raw video and audio files, not the Premiere project file.
As I said, it plays in VLC without problems (both as an .mpeg and .avi) and with the correct duration.

Mammam said:
The stretching seems to happen while importing the file into Premiere. The original file has a framerate of 23,97 and according to the Premire so does the importet file

This portion of an old post by TMBTM might be worth consideration.  (The rest of the post is largely about PAL-to-NTSC conversion and is not relevant to your situation.)

TMBTM said:
- Beware: if you're editing in Premiere Pro: please ALWAYS go into the settings and change the frame rate of your video accordingly to your project setting. In this case it should be 23.976 fps. Sometime Premiere Pro change it to 23.98 and this cause kind of interlacing trouble. So check the 23.976 fps of your video (even if Premiere Pro take it back to 23.98 fps, it will be ok once you did it. Don't ask me why...)

However, it's likely that the way that you are handling the file is part of the problem too.  First, you should decode the MPEG-2 and convert to an intermediate codec that is suitable for editing.  Secondly, MPEG-2 was a bad choice for rendering HD from Premiere: it's not the best choice for a delivery format, because AVC offers better compression, and it's an even worse choice when it comes to archiving a project that might be revisited (because multiple lossy recompressions are detrimental to quality).

If you're determined to use the MPEG, I suggest you decode it using the instructions in my guide.  DGIndex should be able to decode it properly.  If I were you, I'd consider restarting the project and adopting a better workflow.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try tonight!

Update
Captain Khajiit said:
If you're determined to use the MPEG, I suggest you decode it using the instructions in my guide.  DGIndex should be able to decode it properly.  If I were you, I'd consider restarting the project and adopting a better workflow.

It worked. I encoded the .d2v as a largarith .avi in VirtualDub. Now it has the correct duration in Premiere Pro and the quality looks great
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom