• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

So what are your movies?

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This post was inspired by the THEY CALL HER ONE EYE (R rated edition) post.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4770
in it the member wrote that the hard-core sex scene spoiled the movie and made other adults blush and my thought was "i guess it depends on the adult"
i mean if you're watching it with your granny, I can understand.
But what if you were watching it with that special female someone that you want to get to know better?

And that got me to thinking about the films that i do watch with women.

When I am getting close to a girl, she has to pass the MOVIE tests. And I say tests because there are many.
For example:
- To check if she has a brain I put on NETWORK. I discreetly pay attention to her body language. Need to know if she's engrossed or bored. Afterwards we discuss.

- To check if she has a sense of humour i put on RICHARD PRYOR LIVE and see if she laughs at the right part. How hard she laughs and with what abandon. Sit the fuck down!

- To check if she's into quirky I put on HAROLD AND MAUDE. Those of you who know will understand.

- To check if she has a higher understanding of movies i will put on THE GODFATHER. No, its not about gangsters, its about family.

- To show her i am sensitive too, i will put on SCHINDLER'S LIST and cry like a baby. It also works with BAMBI.

- To get close i usually will play SEA OF LOVE and comfort her when it gets scary. there, there, i got you.

- To check if she has patience for classics I put on TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT. You do know how to whistle? Just put your lips together and blow.

and finally to check if she loves me its 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. If she will sit through that and not tear me a new one, she loves me.

ReverendBeastly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Really, I can pretty much have all of those questions answered by one movie: The Forbidden Zone.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
....and I have all this questions answered when I back dead drunk.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to test people like this but I find its best to appriciate them for their own personal likes and dislikes. If you are constantly grading people you can only be dissapointed.

Dont get me wrong I understand the need for it and I am more aggressive with it when it comes to music but I do test when getting to know someone new.

That said, I have been w/ the same girl for almost 4 years and we have already been all through these like/dislike discovery periods so I'll just say her favorite movies are Children of Men, Office Space, Fight Club and Dumb and Dumber.

*bonus points* She also sat with me through BOTH AvP movies in the theatre and didnt leave me afterward.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
I used to test people like this but I find its best to appriciate them for their own personal likes and dislikes. If you are constantly grading people you can only be dissapointed.
I disagree. We are constantly grading people. Even loved ones. as Q said to Picard "The trial never ends."

Dont get me wrong I understand the need for it and I am more aggressive with it when it comes to music but I do test when getting to know someone new.
That's what I'm talking about.

*bonus points* She also sat with me through BOTH AvP movies in the theatre and didnt leave me afterward.
You got a winner there.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
If you are constantly grading people you can only be dissapointed.

I totally disagree, it is part of human nature.

As for movies...I put on Mona Lisa Smile, followed by Debbie Does Dallas. Always works for me.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
As for movies...I put on Mona Lisa Smile, followed by Debbie Does Dallas. Always works for me.
Not very subtle but if it works for you... :D

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I totally disagree, it is part of human nature.

it is, I mean that I enjoy what makes someone unique more than what makes them similar to me.

its nice when we connect on the same level but I cant fault someone who doesnt agree w/ me and my opinions of preference all the time.

If I did, I'd never have any friends or releationships. thats all I meant.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
its nice when we connect on the same level but I cant fault someone who doesnt agree w/ me and my opinions of preference all the time.

If I did, I'd never have any friends or releationships. thats all I meant.
Who said anything about faulting? the search is for affinity, specifically with the opposite sex.
i don't know who you're dating but my experience with women, its easier if you both like the same things.
Trust me.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
Who said anything about faulting? the search is for affinity, specifically with the opposite sex.
i don't know who you're dating but my experience with women, its easier if you both like the same things.
Trust me.

ok, I thought of "test" as a pass/fail scenario like if she doesnt like dr. strangelove then I am going to stop seeing her.

guess I just read into it too much.

I agree that its easier (and really only possible) to get along when you share the same likes/dislikes but I am not going to dock a friend/girlfriend 'respect points' if he/she values something higher or lower than I do.

for example me and my girlfriend were watching se7en the other night and she made the comment "brad pitt is a great actor" to which I replied "he's ok but I dont think he has a broad range" implying that he is similar in all his films. she disagreed and our conversation continued on and on with which I wont bore you.

my point is we disagreed about it and rather than lower my respect of her due to our opinions being different, I value that she has her own viewpoint and isnt a submissive drone.

people change over time and their opinons of things change with them. being able to accept and understand that is the only way any relationship can stay strong and healthy IMO.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When Harry Eat Sally followed by Bridge On The River Kwai always helps with dinner conversation.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... for me, the girl first has to listen to me talk about movies... then she has to listen to me talk about my films... then she has to watch the bloody things.... and then repeat the whole thing.... so i guess if she's still here after that.... i'm doing well :lol: :lol:

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
its easier if you both like the same things

this way starts boring relationships...... what do you learn from each other?

Personally I dont care if she likes movies which I like or she reads books which I read.Im tolerant man and she is.....everything decides in the bedroom.....If there dont work....nothing helps.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
......and besides..... when boy like same things the girl like .....it is something wrong for sure (...with girl or with boy) ;)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, my girl loves football and I hated it when we met, now I am more interested but not as much as she is.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not too bothered what movies my girlfriend likes as I don't think generally men & women like the same things anyway. I mean there's a reason why "Chick Flicks" are called "Chick Flicks".

The way I look at it, it's give & take. If my girlfriend comes along with me to watch The Dark Knight agaisn't her will then she has the right to drag me along to watch Sex & The City The Movie. Besides there's loads of films couples can enjoy together Gross Point Blank, High Fidelity & Some Like It Hot automatically spring to mind.

Then again I'm like elbarto1 when it comes to my girlfriend's taste of music. Being a singer songwriter dating a girl who likes manufactured pop is a big no no for me.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i dont think that 'having' to like the same sort of movies is necessary for a relationship to work at all (as a few people have already said) but where i do think its important (at least for me) is those guilty pleasure/only a mother could love movies.

as many of you know im a big fan of shit* films so when a girl is prepared to sit down with me and watch all three hours of ADM's Dune or actually have something interesting to say about American Psycho then it just makes me love them more

*or at least films that didnt to well or were misunderstood by the mainstream

MonkandHam

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't "test" my wife with movies when we were dating....but I definately took notice when she mentioned liking some science fiction or action movies without me asking about them.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i can instantly tell whether or not my wife will like (or watch :) ) a movie now. 15 years of watching movies together (and knowing what they want to watch and what you DON'T and vice versa) will do that.

it has less to do with genre of the movie (except for anime and horror) and more to do with the central themes and/or foundations of movies. she doesn't like: time travel, non-linear storytelling, space, ultra-violence, etc.

she's a smart girl (MBA) so it's not a matter of intellect, but usually something in the film that dissolves her interest.

my fav. movies she DOESN'T like:

dead ringers
naked lunch
brazil
vampire hunter D

my fav. movies she likes (and i'm thankful for!):

say anything
total recall
godfather
taxi driver
usual suspects
do the right thing