• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

2017 Movies

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I have not seen Shin Godzilla yet, hopefully it gets a Region 1 blu ray release sooner rather than later.

Funmation has the rights, and they typically release several months after the TOHO edition in Japan. The TOHO blu-rays are coming out next month, so I wouldn't expect a North American release until late this year. TOHO has some cool special editions planned, but to my knowledge, none of them have English subtitles. So, it looks like we wait...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coming to blu ray this year from Mill Creek...

Before there was a hobo with a shotgun, 

There was a hobo with a sword....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU4ZO1851_g[/video]

I love this movie!  :D

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone else see a trailer for Guardians (Russian translation) ?

[img=350x600]http://filmcutting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/zaschitniki-poster.jpg[/img]

here's the trailer, i'll embed it later.

it looks, well, interesting and fun.  certainly no worse than what Hollywood force feeds us.
(of course one of them is a bear !)                         

edit: (crap, where did my poster go?  /\  oh well, the link still works.)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll collect my thoughts later, but John Wick 2 is a must watch for any action fan.  Unless you loathed the first movie for some reason, I really can't see anyone having a bad time with this one.  Improves and expands on virtually every aspect from the original.  The cinematography is stunning, the best I've ever seen in an action movie.  Puts Skyfall to shame.  Constant visual splendor.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CureforWellness2-600x240.jpg

How on Hera's Blue Earth was Gore Verbinski, after delivering a 168-minute Pirates 3 and a 149-minute Lone Ranger, allowed to let A Cure for Wellness run yet another butt-numbing, bladder-busting 146 minutes?! Surely if any movie cries out for a trim 90-minute-and-done runtime, it's a schlocky mental asylum horror flick?? Fan Editors, saddle up! :p

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not saying I didn't enjoy 'John Wick: Chapter 2' because I did but if JW1 was a proper 80s style action-movie, then JW2 was like an 80s sequel. Everything in theory is done better and taken to the next level but it all adds up to less somehow. The plot and character motivations are on shaky ground, so the action isn't as well underpinned as in the first movie.

One thing you can take from both movies, is that you never, ever, mess with John Wick because he's an unkillable super-assassin from the depths of hell. Unless he's gonna kill your son and you've no other choice (JW1)... or you just need the movie to happen and stuff because reasons? (JW2)

It's still well worth seeing for the excellently directed action sequences and some really wonderful cameos from Peter Serafinowicz and Laurence Fishburne (Even if I couldn't tell you what the latter contributed to the plot). Oh and how good was the scene where he has to do the thing in Italy but something else happens and it's kinda oddly beautiful.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Luc Besson combines The Last Starfighter with Forbidden Kingdom....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSWcBzCSYM[/video]

Might be fun...  :blush:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pro Trailer Tip: If your movie is called "Atomic Blonde", you should use "Blondie Atomic" or you're just going to disappoint people.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh my. 
Charlize is a great actress, but she's being wasted here! She's no action herione - that first scene proved that. "The breeze of my fist passing your face is sufficient to knock you down"
And the lesbian love scene just comes across as... desperate. I'm sure it should be thrilling and edgy?
Charlize was more badass in Mad Max by far!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Kong: Skull Island' is getting mostly slated but even in the negative reviews the word "fun" and "enjoyable" seem to crop up. Kermode liked it:

Simon found John C. Rielly's comedy character distracting (As we all guessed from the last trailer) and the script "woeful" but still enjoyed it "enormously".

There is nothing else on at the cinema this weekend, so maybe I'll give it a go after all.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Took the kids to a free preview screening of Boss Baby today. The four year olds liked the fart jokes. Got a big meh from the adults. Much better recent animated features out there.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
If 'La La Land' doesn't win Best Film and/or Best Director and/or Original Screenplay and/or All of the Awards available at the Oscars I'll eat my tap-shoes ;) .

Also loved it. What a movie! It's hard to go wrong with tap-dancing in long takes, no matter the decade. Grade: A-! Now, about that ending...

That the leads don't end up together doesn't bother me one bit, in large part because I'm clearly far more of a type with the guy Mia does settle down with than I am a Sebastian/Gosling. More Mia/Emma Stone types for me! :p (He's successful and the ladies adore him; he'll be fine.)

But for them to lose touch so completely that she had no idea he'd opened a successful club with her suggested name and logo, to boot? Maybe she'd heard about it, but had forgotten where it was. I'll go with that... Regardless, it worked in dramatic terms, also.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw Moonlight last night and loved it. The only issue I had was the physical transformation between story two and three was a bit too much and took me out of the film for a moment.  However the acting across the board was so good I quickly got over it. I understand for narrative reasons why, but ...

I wished Juan was in the film longer. He was magnetic.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the physical transformation is supposed to shock you. The shot with Chiron driving that starts zoomed in on his fronts is kind of devastating in a way.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I saw Moonlight last night and loved it. The only issue I had was the physical transformation between story two and three was a bit too much and took me out of the film for a moment.  However the acting across the board was so good I quickly got over it. I understand for narrative reasons why, but ...

I also loved this and agreed with your comments, especially the one in spoiler tags :)

Dom is right though, in that the change between acts two and three are supposed to be dramatic and make you feel uncomfortable.

That was a fantastic film. I really loved the score.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I also loved this and agreed with your comments, especially the one in spoiler tags :)

Dom is right though, in that the change between acts two and three are supposed to be dramatic and make you feel uncomfortable.

That was a fantastic film. I really loved the score.
Yeah I watched the special features where they say that. I think the more honest answer was when they said they felt that if they cast the best actors emotionally the other physical differences wouldn't matter. And I agree to a point. The actor was terrific and I quickly forgot about it. I think when they said the physical difference was supposed to shock you that it was kind of rationalizing it.  No amount of workouts is going to transform your body type. Manute Bol could never have a Shaw body.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kong was a lot of fun, it's just a shame that so much of the human cast hinged on Tom Hiddleston playing sandpaper and Brie Larson playing a tank-top.

Sam Jackson and JC Reily were the better parts of the movie.

What I liked most about Kong was its approach to cosmic horror. Human life is treated with complete disregard, as it would be by any creature of that size.

Bring on the MUTOverse :D

Top Bottom