• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
new season two promo....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_bmWFqN5qY[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g43fgSq8yjg[/video]

Pretty much agree with the above assessments, except for Tilly and Saru.  I feel both characters have grown and have becoming endearing.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally got a chance to watch the premiere last night. I enjoyed it, but I think they veered to far into the comedy trying to react to the downer of a first season (which I also enjoyed). Hopefully they level off somewhere in the middle by the end of the season.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season two, episode two -- "NEW EDEN"
Directed by Jonathan Frakes

The series course correction continues as this single episode captured the essence of Star Trek more and better than the entire first season combined. 

A planet of the week in jeopardy/mystery that explores science versus religion.  While Trek has done this numerous times over the decades, it was usually through allegory of an alien race perspective, since Roddenberry was an on the record atheist.  What was new and refreshing here, the discussion was from an Earth Human view point.  Definitely new ground for Trek.

The bridge crew continues to be developed.  While I still can not remember their names yet, they are all becoming distinct personalities instead of eye candy furniture.

Captain Pike continues to shine.  He brings a wonderful TOS vibe, but more importantly, he brings the much needed balance of humanity component to the crew.  Two episodes in, and I never want this guy to leave! lol

The "Red Angel" mystery expands, with hints they may be connected to the mycelial energy...and dead people? ...very tantalizing stuff.

Closing random and probably completely wrong thought --- could the Red Angels be the Preservers? 

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season two, episode three "Point of Light"

Third episode in, and still going strong.  Though I was a bit worried during the opening teaser, as the dizzying fast moving/cutting camera  and too clever for their own good location transitions left me geographically confused and my head spinning.  But once the credits rolled, it all settled down lol.

The "A" plot was re-tooling the Klingons and trying to align them with known TOS/TNG continuity.  I like the ideas brought forth, though it still all contradicts what was established in Enterprise.  But once you put that aside, it was a great Klingon politics episode. 

The "B" plot was the continuing Red Angel plot.  We learn a lot more about Spock's past and connection to them.  Spock's mother Amanda guest stars, and we learn she was forbidden to show Spock any love or affection by Sarek, and thus transferred her feelings to young Michael.   Also another tidbit about Michael and Spock's falling out... Michael did something unforgivable in order to save Spock from Logic Extremists....

The "C" plot was Tilly and her "ghost".   This one really felt it got the short end of the stick and could have easily been a full episode in itself.

Things I loved about this episode.... the characters believe in each other and stay loyal.   A character is accused of murder, the Captain and Michael do not accept this and know the character is innocent.   Tilly says she sees a ghost, the crew do not think she is crazy, they believe her and search for a rational explanation.   Very refreshing.

There is a funny TOS  bit how Pike is old fashioned and still communicates to Starfleet by screen rather than hologram lol

A big yellow square TOS style floppy disc plays a signifiant part of the plot lol

The Game of Throne stylings and violence are still present, as we get some Klingons fighting and beheadings.  Not sure if the episode needed the blood spray splatter hitting the camera fx?

:)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody working on this series? It could certainly be tightened up. Especially the first season.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The "C" plot was Tilly and her "ghost".   This one really felt it got the short end of the stick and could have easily been a full episode in itself.

Yeah, I wish they devoted more time to this. It could have been so much better.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that was a pretty action packed episode. And I was happy to see Tilly's story with that entity didn't end last episode like I thought it did. This season has been pretty solid IMO.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anyone's confused about why Star Trek has turned out the way it has as of late, this video explain it pretty nicely: 

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
wilhelm scream said:
If anyone's confused about why Star Trek has turned out the way it has as of late, this video explain it pretty nicely: [video]

Midnight's Edge is a questionable source of information.
https://fanfilmfactor.com/2018/11/19/my-love-hate-relationship-with-midnights-edge-editorial/

Good article.   Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  I love the spotlight FFF gives to other Trek Fan Films but even I find it difficult not to think FFF is biased when it comes to its coverage of AXANAR.  Some of the facts they present excusing Alec Peters actions and choices often make my eyes roll...

So both sources have positives and negatives.  You really need to keep a questioning mind when reading anything presented as "fact" on the old interweb.   :p

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  
I'm not super familiar with the site, hypocritical as that may be. Sorry!

So both sources have positives and negatives.  You really need to keep a questioning mind when reading anything presented as "fact" on the old interweb.   :p
Absolutely agree.

I don't mean to imply that everything Midnight's Edge says is a lie. But if something they report seems out of the ordinary, it may be worth researching deeper.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
bionicbob said:
Oddly though, many of the points Fan Film Factor makes about Midnight Edge could be applied to themselves.  
I'm not super familiar with the site, hypocritical as that may be. Sorry!

Absolutely agree.

I don't mean to imply that everything Midnight's Edge says is a lie. But if something they report seems out of the ordinary, it may be worth researching deeper.

Oh I agree with you completely.
Both Midnight Edge and Fan Film Factor produce a lot of great content.  I enjoy both sites.  
But you still have to be wary.  Both sites, as with many online, on occasion seem to have agendas or biased slants or disguise opinion/conjecture/commentary as exclusive news content.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am currently abroad, travelling from my beloved Canuckland to the USA to take my daughter for treatment at the Mayo Clinic, so I have not seen the latest episode and I am religiously avoiding any spoilers, but it sitting long hours in waiting rooms has given me time to dwell on the Klingon continuity issue and possible ways to align it to the visuals of TOS which is only about 10 years after Discovery....

In the last episode I watched, there was major retooling of the Klingons to align them towards the culture we know on TNG.  But strangely there was no acknowledgement of the established canon from Enterprise.... a 100 years has passed since the time of Captain Archer, thus there should be about 3 generations of Human looking Klingons running around by now.  But so far, there has been no mention or sight of them.

But maybe this on purpose.   Maybe they exist but are shunned and segerated within the Klingon Empire.  Maybe they are viewed as an inferior and dishonorable.   Maybe they are used as a slave race.  Thus they are present in all facets of the Klingon infrastructure, serving as soldiers and servents throughout the Empire.  Leaderless and waiting for someone to rise up to guide them.

And maybe Ash could be that character.

Maybe Ash, frustrated by the lack of respect and honor he receives from his fellow Klingons, leads the human klingons in revolt and they seize majority control of the council, and thus become the face of the Klingon Empire in the coming new decade....

Lots of maybes....

But fun to speculate.... :p

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I am currently abroad, travelling from my beloved Canuckland to the USA to take my daughter for treatment at the Mayo Clinic...

Sorry to hear about your daughter. All the best to her and your family.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks my friend.

In other news, there could be major news about the re-merger of Viacom and CBS in coming days or weeks...
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/06/reports-cbs-in-talks-to-end-shareholder-lawsuit-with-viacom-merger-on-hold-moonves-negotiating-exit/

If this happens, it would put all Star Trek properties back together in a single pot.  It would remove some of the storytelling handcuffs Discovery has to endure.
I imagine it would be a massive boon for the upcoming PICARD series as well.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Maybe they exist but are shunned and segerated within the Klingon Empire.  Maybe they are viewed as an inferior and dishonorable.   Maybe they are used as a slave race.  Thus they are present in all facets of the Klingon infrastructure, serving as soldiers and servents throughout the Empire.  Leaderless and waiting for someone to rise up to guide them.

And maybe Ash could be that character.

Maybe Ash, frustrated by the lack of respect and honor he receives from his fellow Klingons, leads the human klingons in revolt and they seize majority control of the council, and thus become the face of the Klingon Empire in the coming new decade....

Oh! I like the idea of them not being able to get Ash back into his old Voq body, but being able to modify him enough to have that more human-style Klingon body.

bionicbob said:
In other news, there could be major news about the re-merger of Viacom and CBS in coming days or weeks...
https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/06/reports-cbs-in-talks-to-end-shareholder-lawsuit-with-viacom-merger-on-hold-moonves-negotiating-exit/

If this happens, it would put all Star Trek properties back together in a single pot.  It would remove some of the storytelling handcuffs Discovery has to endure.
I imagine it would be a massive boon for the upcoming PICARD series as well.

In general I don't like big companies merging, but in this case the way they split was such a mess that I don't have any qualms with it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disco lives!!!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/st...s-michelle-paradise-co-showrunner-1203150809/

So as many of you know, I did not love season one for many, many, many reasons... lol
To the point I questioned if my Trek days were finally behind me?

But NO!!!!

I am SO LOVING season two!!!!  I still have lots of canon nitpicks, but the improvement is so dramatic over season one it feels like a completely different show.   Last season, the show felt schizoid, a war show with no war, an exploration show with no exploring, a character drama with no earned development... it was a frustrating watch.

But this season so far has been amazing.  The jump in quality is much like going from Next Gen season one to season three.

The writing and narrative structure, while still accelerated, has purpose and design.  Better use and development of characters.... making the characters likeable, is always a plus! lol  But more importantly, it actually feels like Star Trek.  From the renewed crew camaraderie to adhering of Roddenberry's Trek principals, the show feels more confident.  It no longer feels like it is trying to be another show (ie.. a more hip show or Games of Thrones-is) but is instead embracing what makes and has made Trek successfully work for over 5 decades, while still trying to be modern and take it in fresh directions.

Top Bottom