• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Latest trailer has dropped....

I was very critical of season one, but this newest trailer reignites my hope in a better second season....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKf7pyxa1w[/video]

Klingons with hair!  A classic D7 cruiser!  Holy course correction captain!  :p

THX 1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just wish Netflix UK would show the Short Trek episodes i hope they will prior to season 2 arriving in January

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SHORT TREKS:

"RUNAWAY" -- exploring the always watchable and entertaining Tilly's background.  Some sloppy writing.  I think the producers tried to play with viewers expectations by copying PREDATOR sound effect and cloaking effect, but the ultimate alien reveal was underwhelming.  Also the ending with the transporter was confusing, since the starship geography was never firmly established... Kelvin style interplanetary teleportation???  6 out of 10.

"CALYPSO" -- Beautiful. Lyrical.  A fairy tale love story.  My only nitpick, if you establish the Discovery still exist 1000 years in the future, it removes a certain amount of tension for any and all future storylines.  9 out of 10.

"THE BRIGHTEST STAR" -- Saru's backstory revealed.  Not exactly what I expected based on Saru's comments in season one, but Doug Jone's performance is wonderful and holds your attention.  8 out of 10.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't watch the show beyond the pilot that aired on actual television here in the States, but I recieved the Blu-Ray set as a gift.  Idk when i'll actually get around to watching it, still working my way through DS9 (about halfway through S6) and my brother is just dying for me to watch My Hero Academia with him.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SHORT TREKS:

"THE ESCAPE ARTIST" -- we get a look into the scheming mind of Harry Mudd.  It had some nice laughs.  Wilson definitely brings a darker edge to the character than Carmel, which I still can not decide if I like or not.  It was nice to see some TOS aliens... Tellerites and Orions.   The story has neat twist ending that is slight nod to the classic episode "I, Mudd".  
7 out of 10 for me.

Less than 2 weeks til the season two premiere.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
This article may be of interest here...

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/01/12/star-trek-discovery-canon-alex-kurtzman/

It seems reasonable to me.  It becomes difficult when you have so much "external" material (such as novels, graphic novels).  You either decanonize everything, like Lucasfilm did in 2012, or try the middle ground at cost of violating some of the rules.

Canon.  

A subject that leads to endless debates with fans.

For me, it's very simple.  If its on screen, it's canon.
Books, comics, video games... no matter what the producer may say at the time... are not canon.

Are there Trek books I love and wish they were part of official canon?  Absolutely.  But I know they are not and I don't get upset when those  novel elements are ignored or contradicted in the series or movie proper.

And I am even okay when canon episodes are given soft retro-cons.  TOS episode "Turnabout Intruder" suggests there are no women Starship captains.   Which was insanely sexist even in 69 when it aired and would completely contradict the principles of the Federation.  It is a statement that has re-interpretted by fans (Lester specifically was not eligible for Captaincy or no Captains as yet of a Constitution Class starship as suggested in STC) and future Trek writers, as Starship Captains have been seen in Enterprise and Discovery.

But when producers decide to outright contradict established on-screen canon and continuity "for the story's sake", I take that as disrepectful to longtime fans and as a display sheer laziness/lack of creativity by the production team.   

Season one of Discovery, while entertaining, was a frustrating viewing experience for me in terms of canon.  No matter what the producers say, there is nothing in that season that can make be reconcile that it takes place in the Prime Timeline.  And I am fine with that.  If the production team just has the balls to outright say this is a full on reboot/alternate universe, I could enjoy the show much more.  Until then,  I go into season two very wary.

:p

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't believe in canon, official or personal. The concept's an albatross around the neck with a ball and chain at its foot.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I won't stand for any badmouthing of Cannon.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
I don't believe in canon, official or personal. The concept's an albatross around the neck with a ball and chain attached it its foot.

:huh:

I do not understand this in the slightest.  Could you clarify?

Any story, be it a 12 volume epic saga or a single 5 page short story, has a canon.

Canon is a set of in-universe rules and history,  it is one of the key foundations of storytelling, be it fiction or historical.

You don't write a story set in World War Two and have your character use iPhones or say Roosevelt was not the US President... 
(unless you are Harry Turtledove LOL)  :rolleyes:

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:
I don't believe in canon, official or personal. The concept's an albatross around the neck with a ball and chain attached it its foot.

Any story, be it a 12 volume epic saga or a single 5 page short story, has a canon.

Canon is a set of in-universe rules and history,  it is one of the key foundations of storytelling, be it fiction or historical.

You don't write a story set in World War Two and have your character use iPhones or say Roosevelt was not the US President... 

Perhaps it's my Surrealist/Postmodernist sensibilities showing, but I don't really care about any of that, certainly not when it comes to fiction. I don't care if Klingons had smooth foreheads in TOS and ridged foreheads in TMP+; I don't care if Yoda was Obi-Wan's master in the OT and Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan's master in the PT; I don't care that the Highlander sequels contradict the ending of the original film and each other; I don't care about the various discrepancies between the Evil Dead films and TV show. In my POV, quality and tone matter more than continuity.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:

Perhaps it's my Surrealist/Postmodernist sensibilities showing, but I don't really care about any of that, certainly not when it comes to fiction. I don't care if Klingons had smooth foreheads in TOS and ridged foreheads in TMP+; I don't care if Yoda was Obi-Wan's master in the OT and Qui-Gon was Obi-Wan's master in the PT; I don't care that the Highlander sequels contradict the ending of the original film and each other; I don't care about the various discrepancies between the Evil Dead films and TV show. In my POV, quality and tone matter more than continuity.

American Graffiti is ruined by the fact that a movie theater is showing Dementia 13, even though the setting of Graffiti is 1962, a year prior to the release of Dementia.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree to a certain extent, @"Duragizer" .  What I mean is, that continuity can be contradicted for the narrative's, for the characters' inside that narrative, but not for their own sake.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would argue continuity is part of quality.

But my point was I care when the creator of somethings says something is canon, even when the evidence on screen clearly contradicts their statement.
But maybe you are right, maybe I care too much.

To each their own.  ;)

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
U
bionicbob said:
I would argue continuity is part of quality.

To each their own.  ;)

Oh, I agree!  But if a story can be better because of it, then be it.    :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:

Perhaps.

I guess it comes down to the old argument, just because you CAN do something, SHOULD you?

If I can write a fantastic Star Trek story that will win the hearts and minds of new Trek viewers,  even though this same story will openly contradict/negate a previously well established respected story loved by old fans, I should definitely do it?

Or can I write the same original amazing new story but have it build upon the past rather than ignore it, honouring the franchise as whole while paving new ground?

One path is easier and gives an immediate pay off, the other is harder but in the long run more rewarding.

Too many people these days seem to do things simply because they can, never questioning if they should until after the consequences.

But then then again what do I know?  Just another grumpy old fanboy....

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Duragizer said:
bionicbob said:
Duragizer said:

American Graffiti is ruined by the fact that a movie theater is showing Dementia 13, even though the setting of Graffiti is 1962, a year prior to the release of Dementia.

But Dementia 13 is ruined by the non-existence of Dementia 2-12, so it all balances out.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Canon Editor said:

Perhaps.

I guess it comes down to the old argument, just because you CAN do something, SHOULD you?

If I can write a fantastic Star Trek story that will win the hearts and minds of new Trek viewers,  even though this same story will openly contradict/negate a previously well established respected story loved by old fans, I should definitely do it?

Or can I write the same original amazing new story but have it build upon the past rather than ignore it, honouring the franchise as whole while paving new ground?

One path is easier and gives an immediate pay off, the other is harder but in the long run more rewarding.

Too many people these days seem to do things simply because they can, never questioning if they should until after the consequences.

But then then again what do I know?  Just another grumpy old fanboy....

Well, I agree.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow!  Wow oh WoW!

Just finished the season two premiere, "Brother"....

Of course I need to rewatch before really over analyzing it or nit picking (lol) but on first watch, this was highly entertaining!

Anson Mount was great as Captain Pike!  Very charming, a cross between Archer and Kirk.

The bridge crew finally all get names! 

We get a much better look at the Enterprise, it essentially seems to be the Motion Picture version but with TOS nacelles.  It looks great imo.

Tig Notaro as engineer Jet Reno (now that's a name!!!) was hilarious, hope she is sticking around!

The pacing was a runaway train, so I am still not clear on the whole set up mystery of the "signal" they are investigating.

The Spock/Burnham relationship mystery is intriguing.... but please, please, PLEASE don't have it turn out they were foster siblings and LOVERS!!!! :s

While we don't see new Spock in this episode, we do get to hear Ethan Peck's voice, and I was quite impressed, he captures Nimoy's inflection very well, much better than Quinto.

Visually still beautiful and cinematic!  The scoring was excellent as well.

All in all, a wonderful and exciting season premiere, that has seemingly course corrected many of the issues from last season.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Anson Mount was great as Captain Pike!

Tig Notaro as engineer Jet Reno

You're making these names up.

UK Netflix is saying the episode will be available sometime today. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom