• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As long as it isn't overly cheesy, I'm glad to see some new Trek. If it has some good character development with compelling cultural/moral/ethical analysis ala TNG I'll be happy. I just hope the stories rise to the visuals.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not a great trailer. I think the creative meeting went something like this...

Executive A: "What piece of spine-tingling Star Trek music shall we choose for the trailer?"
Executive B: "I just don't know, there are so many stirring pieces by so many great composers."
Executive A: "Wait I've got it! We don't use any of them, we use a weak boring indie song instead!"
Executive B: "Er okay...but we use a little taste of the TOS theme at the very end to get people excited right?"
Executive A: "No, that would be too exciting."

;)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^@"TM2YC" you have been challenged to make this trailer exciting!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
homByZpG.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
She's called "Michael"? Okay.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's so much piling up in this new TREK show that's making it even easier for me to just look on it as being set in a totally 'parallel/alternate universe' to the original TOS 'primeline'...

I was okay with the introduction of Spock's previously-unheard-of half-brother 'Sybok' for THE FINAL FRONTIER movie, but this is getting a little ridiculous now.  :dodgy:   

Yet another previously-unheard-of 'family member/sibling' strikes me as a wholly unnecessary 'connection' for this new supposed TOS-era show.  I strongly suspect there's a good chance DISCOVERY will include a 'young Spock' appearance of sorts (perhaps even a 'flashback') eventually...but he will only  be a 'parallel/alternate universe' version in my eyes, if he does turn up! (along with everything else)  :p

However, I'm still curious to see everything they've come up with for this latest re-imagined spin-off, and just hope it includes a great 'Main Title' theme to kick things off in style.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everything we know so far about the series.....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA[/video]

...to quote another Star franchise, "I got a bad feeling about this."

Around 10min45sec mark, it is revealed there is a legal reason why DISCOVERY does not visually look like classic Trek, having something to do with the new series is being produced by Paramount, not CBS... each own different rights to Star Trek.

This video seems to have been released just before the EW article with Bryan Fuller, it which he revealed he originally proposed the new series would have been an anthology, with each season taking place in a different prime Trek era.

At this point, I think I am becoming more excited for THE ORVILLE than Discovery...lol.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the critics are talking about is the trailer. We've been mislead many times by flashy trailers. I'll wait until it's released and then see what people think.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm positive it won't meet the likes of TNG, but if it's better than Voyager I'll be happy.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm positive it won't meet the likes of TNG, but if it's better than Voyager I'll be happy.

I'm actually rewatching Voyager and am enjoying it. :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I'm actually rewatching Voyager and am enjoying it. :)

I'll admit, once it got into seasons 6 and 7 the stories and characters were much better. I enjoyed the first few seasons of DS9 and loathed the first seasons of Voyager and then loathed the latter seasons of DS9 and enjoyed the end of Voyager. When they started to focus more on the minor characters like the Doctor, Seven and Kim, the show became much more interesting.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has  the new series star trek discovery gone too far. In a recent quote in a interview the director said that there should be no god in star trek universe. There are supposed to be  multiple races in the expanded universe and all the races do not mention worshipping god or their version of god(apparently its to stop people from being offended who do not believe in god in any form) i mean star trek 5 what about searching for god are we supposed to gloss over that fact also when the new look klingons die do they no longer goto stovokor anymore? 

What do you guys think too far or do you agree in taking away god and mention of dieity away is a good idea?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
Has  the new series star trek discovery gone too far. In a recent quote in a interview the director said that there should be no god in star trek universe. There are supposed to be  multiple races in the expanded universe and all the races do not mention worshipping god or their version of god(apparently its to stop people from being offended who do not believe in god in any form) i mean star trek 5 what about searching for god are we supposed to gloss over that fact also when the new look klingons die do they no longer goto stovokor anymore? 

What do you guys think too far or do you agree in taking away god and mention of dieity away is a good idea?

Producers recently clarified this misunderstanding about the use of the word "God" on the show...

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/enterta...er-says-gods-name-is-not-banned-from-the-show

http://nerdist.com/yes-internet-the-star-trek-discovery-cast-is-allowed-to-say-god/

It has always been part of the Trek mythos that the majority Humans who reside on Earth do not believe in a religion.  Roddenberry himself was an atheist.   However, all the various Trek series at one point or another has explored the concepts of faith and religion in some respect.  Heck, DS9's main driving story arc was about religion and the existence of God or Gods.

Nothing I have read about Discovery says they are banning "God" from the series.  In all the trailers, you clearly see the Klingons performing a very religious death ritual.

Honestly, I think this is a non-story that the internet has blown out of proportion.   :p

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
At least they don't use money in the 23rd century...so no Federation Credit Card :D

Good job theres no money in 23rd century. With another female captain and first mate and gay crew members . The 13 episisodes would be about intergallactic shopping and the cargo hold would be full of shoes and handbags
:D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
Zarius said:
At least they don't use money in the 23rd century...so no Federation Credit Card :D

Good job theres no money in 23rd century. With another female captain and first mate and gay crew members . The 13 episisodes would be about intergallactic shopping and the cargo hold would be full of shoes and handbags

If this is meant to be a joke, I'm not laughing...

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
gazza said:
Zarius said:

If this is meant to be a joke, I'm not laughing...

Lifes too short to take life so seriously. If we cant laugh at ourselves whats the point . Yes it was a jk . Sorry if offended any women.

Top Bottom