• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Discovery

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After much delay, the first full trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xhb-mGU2w[/video]

We get our first good look at the bridge, uniforms, starship and tech.... they keep saying this a prequel to the Prime Universe but I dunno... it sure looks Kelvin to me.  Though I do like the new uniform design, it has a nice 1950s retro sci-fi look to them.

As for those Klingons... uhg.   I just hope the new look is part of the plot, a divergent race or something.

Watched a third time, if it is a Prime Prequel, why are the Discovery crew wearing the Enterprise insignia?

Hhhmmmm..... it appears Burnham might have been raised on Vulcan?  She seems to have a close relationship with Spock's father.

All in all, the trailer has left me very intrigued, with far more questions (and concerns lol) than answers.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ScreenJunkie dissect the trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X7H1xRxa2k[/video]

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that didn't last long; it's already down.

bionicbob said:
After much delay, the first full trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_xhb-mGU2w[/video]

We get our first good look at the bridge, uniforms, starship and tech.... they keep saying this a prequel to the Prime Universe but I dunno... it sure looks Kelvin to me.  Though I do like the new uniform design, it has a nice 1950s retro sci-fi look to them.

As for those Klingons... uhg.   I just hope the new look is part of the plot, a divergent race or something.

Watched a third time, if it is a Prime Prequel, why are the Discovery crew wearing the Enterprise insignia?

Hhhmmmm..... it appears Burnham might have been raised on Vulcan?  She seems to have a close relationship with Spock's father.

All in all, the trailer has left me very intrigued, with far more questions (and concerns lol) than answers.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Well that didn't last long; it's already down.

Must be regional, still plays for me.  :blush:

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My own STAR TREK 'prime universe' purely consists of the original TOS show and movies, and ends with 'STAR TREK VI: The Undiscovered Country'...and anything else outwith that is set in an alternate 'parallel universe' as far as I'm concerned, no matter what the 'official canon' claims.  :D

And after seeing this trailer's footage, I reckon I'll enjoy STAR TREK DISCOVERY much better if I look on it as being yet another 'parallel universe' storyline which is completely seperate from the 'prime universe' one. 

It's easy enough for me to imagine that the 'Kirk', 'Spock', and 'Enterprise' mentioned in the trailer are NOT the one's featured in the actual TOS 'prime universe'...but merely refer to the 'alternate' versions eventually seen in J.J. Abram's 're-imagined' storyline - so none of this new show's 'creative choices' will bother me one jot as far as TOS-related 'continuity issues' of any sort are concerned.  :p  

However, I'm hoping this particular STAR TREK reboot will be an entertaining re-launch of the concept on tv, and that the show will prove very watchable in it's own right.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it looks terrible. They're gonna sell subscriptions based on that?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't mind the look.   It is definitely stylized after the recent movies.  It's grand, cinematic look with rich, bright colours is delicious.   But really, do we need more lens flares? LOL  And can they maintain such a look on a tv budget?

At the end of the day, I don't care if it is Kelvin or Prime, (though I do feel a bit misled lol), all I really, really, really want is a good Star Trek story.  :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
they keep saying this a prequel to the Prime Universe but I dunno... it sure looks Kelvin to me.

Aren't they technically the same thing? If this takes place before the timeline was changed.

I like everything about the Kelvin timeline, tone, look, design etc... except the stories (STB was good). So this could be great. Yay it's on Netflix! I thought this was going to be an exclusive on some obscure streaming service?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
bionicbob said:
Yay it's on Netflix! I thought this was going to be an exclusive on some obscure streaming service?

If I'm not mistaken, it's a CBS All Access exclusive in the USA, and on Netflix in other countries.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer makes the series look like a high budget fan film. uggg.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
bionicbob said:
they keep saying this a prequel to the Prime Universe but I dunno... it sure looks Kelvin to me.

Aren't they technically the same thing? If this takes place before the timeline was changed.

Sorta.
Maybe.
Yes and no.

:p

I am about to get grumpy old fanboy-trek-nerdy for a moment.... LOL

I loved Star Trek 2009!!!  LOVE!!!!!   But the time period presented on screen aboard the USS Kelvin (BEFORE the appearance of Nero's ship), in terms of ship design, Starfleet Uniforms and ship technology does not even remotely resemble the time period of either TOS or the episode of "The Cage" or even the original movie series.

Of course, the easiest way to reconcile this is, "hey its a movie for a new generation and in the 60s they did not have the money to make the show look like how it should, so just go with it and pretend it always was this way."...    sort of like how we accepted the Klingon new look in the 80s without explanation...lol

But for canon nerds like me, I need a more logical in-universe explanation.... :D

Theory one, when Nero and Spock emerged from the Red Matter Hole, they created an alternate time line not just moving forward, but backwards too, a ripple effect up and down the timeline, thus explaining why the time period could look different.

This theory really does not work for me for far too many reasons to list.

I tend to favour theory number two....

Nero and Spock did not create an alternate timeline, but they instead travelled to a parallel universe where events unfolded differently.  To me, from a narrative stand point just makes more sense.   

Thus, when the Discovery producers kept saying this series would take place in the Prime Universe, I was probably unrealistically half-hoping the show would have a more retro-1960s TOS look to it.    

Though there is still a part of me thinking, hey, we have not seen the Discovery bridge yet, maybe it will be more classic Trek in design?  LOL ;)

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I amended my previous post slightly to clarify my own take on this franchise bionicbob, but I certainly agree that the opening scene's of J.J. Abram's STAR TREK 'reimagining' made little effort to include anything which truly reminded me of the TOS 'prime universe' stylings to begin with.  

Sure, it shows an updated version of a 'TREK-looking' ship with updated-looking bridge and crew...but it's not an updated version that really evokes the TOS-era to me - not surprising, since J.J. wasn't such a big TOS fan to begin with...but it would have made his supposed 'new timeline' change of aesthetic work more effectively if his beginning had evoked more of the TOS stylings a little more...even if they were still lathered in 'lens flares'.  As it stands, the U.S.S. Kelvin and crew have more of an updated 'Next Generation'-era look to me overall.

And like you, I prefer to think that Nero and 'prime Spock' actually entered an alternate 'parallel universe' where events had unfolded differently...as opposed to creating a whole new 'timeline'.  The movie's new 'timeline' scenario just gives the confusing impression that the 'prime TOS universe' no longer exists, as far as I'm concerned (despite what the writers and director claim) ...and I'm not going along with that! :p  

But instead of imagining that Nero and 'prime Spock' actually entered a 'parallel universe', there's an alternative way of looking at J.J.'s movie which equally allows the 'prime TOS universe' to remain intact in my mind - you can just imagine that the elderly 'Spock' which chases Nero is NOT the 'prime Spock' version in the first place...but rather one from an alternate 'parallel universe' to begin with, BEFORE the supposed 'timeline' split! - in fact, a 'parallel universe' where this new STAR TREK DISCOVERY show looks like it will fit right in. :D

Nevertheless, there's a certain re-watchability in these 'reimagined' movies for me, so I've already had fun working out my own ideal cut-list for the first entry (and will get around to it's two sequels eventually too, sometime)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
you can just imagine that the elderly 'Spock' which chases Nero is NOT the 'prime Spock' version in the first place...but rather one from an alternate 'parallel universe' to begin with, BEFORE the supposed 'timeline' split!

Hmmm, doesn't work for me. Spock alludes to the events of the Wrath of Kahn in Into Darkness pretty blatantly. Also, his mind meld from ST 2009 kind of puts him in the TV/Movie or "prime" era, imho. The uniforms did change for the movies in the OS too. I think they did a good job of reinvigorating the series.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Hmmm, doesn't work for me. Spock alludes to the events of the Wrath of Kahn in Into Darkness pretty blatantly. Also, his mind meld from ST 2009 kind of puts him in the TV/Movie or "prime" era, imho.

That's okay, as I know it's a VERY convoluted way of looking at things, but the 2009 STAR TREK storyline already made my head hurt. ;)  

To clarify things a little, I reckon that his dialogue to young nu-Spock in 'Into Darkness' doesn't really matter...as the idea is that the elderly (non-'prime TOS universe') Spock in J.J.'s 2009 movie is MISTAKEN about believing that he and (non-'prime TOS universe') Nero have 'travelled back in time'/'entered a new timeline'...but have actually entered into another similar-looking, alternate 'parallel universe' instead...and that this elderly Spock has indeed had a previous encounter with a bad character called 'Khan Noonien Singh' in his own past...except he WASN'T the 'prime TOS universe' version seen in 'The Wrath Of Khan' movie, but rather a 'parallel universe' version of the one seen in this movie, who looked and sounded exactly the same as Benedict Cumberbatch too! - so because this elderly Spock WRONGLY thinks he's 'gone back in time' in his own universe, he is therefore wrongly led to believe that this is the exact same 'Khan' he dealt with previously...but it wasn't, and there could be quite a few things that are different concerning this particular 'Khan's past and character.  

And of course, this scenario means that the Nero character (from the same 'parallel universe' as this elderly Spock) is EQUALLY mistaken about thinking that he and his crew have 'travelled back in time' inside his own universe also...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the parallel universe theory. If events are unfolding similarly to the Prime universe then there's no reason and Old Spock from the parallel universe couldn't also have encountered the parallel Khan in his own past.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched the preview at last - agree with Throw, not impressed. Looks like shades of "Broken Bow" with the style of the Abrams movies.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Comic Con Trailer....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqBz8QsZNcQ[/video]

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"You're mad!"  "I'm Mudd."

iWKad22.jpg