• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Justice League

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Found some tweets from one film critic, Bob Chipman, which were...enlightening...

Hey remember in AVENGERS when every other line of expository dialogue about Loki kept talking about "Thanos," "Planet Titan," "Infinity Gauntlets" etc and then NONE of those things appeared or were part of the story?

Oh, right. That didn't happen.

If [2016 MOVIE] was a goblet of scalding hot piss, the main difference for [2017 SEQUEL] is that the piss is now room-temperature.

Still gross, unpleasant and you shouldn't swallow it; but at least it won't actively hurt you going down.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it doesn't sound like Whedon was able to save it. Oh well...

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And now, for the second (spoiler free) opinion:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure what DC was expecting with this one. DC and Snyder fans that didn't like Marvel and Whedon were sure to not like Whedon's approach and the others that didn't care for Snyder's approach were sure to not be satisfied with this movie. It seems like a lose lose situation from the beginning. Perhaps this will help make the transition from all of the super hero movies towards some originality and genuine excitement at the box office?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got almost zero interest in this movie, but I've talked to a few people who have seen it and they were pleasantly surprised. They all pretty much agreed that it was good, but certainly not great.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I'm not sure what DC was expecting with this one. DC and Snyder fans that didn't like Marvel and Whedon were sure to not like Whedon's approach and the others that didn't care for Snyder's approach were sure to not be satisfied with this movie. It seems like a lose lose situation from the beginning.

I think that they're trying to transition away from the Zack Snyder style altogether. "Wonder Woman" was their biggest success thus far, and it felt more like a mashup of "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "Thor" than it did any of the previous DCEU movies. While the Snyder movies have their fans, I think that Warner Brothers would rather make more non-polarizing crowd-pleasers in the vein of "Wonder Woman" than worry about pleasing fans of the Snyder style (and simultaneously alienating those who don't like said style). Everything that everyone involved has been saying and doing for months now makes it appear that this is the case. Henry Cavill even said that he considers that tone of the Snyder movies a mistake, and no one involved in the DCEU has spoke up to disagree with him.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I at least enjoyed enough to be excited to see it again ..... that was the thing with Thor. Eh, it was funny, but not a desired repeat experience. JL was def. not perfect and def. unambitious, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points

"What we have here is a film that is neither dark nor light, it is just absolute rubbish" ~ Mark Kermode

I don't get where WB got the idea that the dark tone was the problem of DC films.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw it last night.  This had negative hype surrounding it and yet everyone I saw it with had a blast.  It's definitely not a perfect movie, but it was a fun ride watching the heroes come together.

I'm starting to think more and more that Disney has cast a wide net around these "critics" because some of the crap they nitpick this movie for are all things the Marvel films do.  Basically, these critics are looking to ::graphic expletitive:: Marvel movie's ::graphic expletive:: because the complaint that DC once again has a forgettable villain in Steppenwolf and no mention is made of Ronin or Malekith is starting to seem suspicious.  There's plenty to pick a part without saying, "but Marvel does this," when Marvel also seems to make some of the same mistakes as DC in some regards.

Bottom line.....Rotten Tomatoes critic scores are in the 30's last I checked and the audience scores were in the upper 80's.  Take that for what it is.

Side note, Wonder Woman's villain was fine for the film, but easily forgettable and yet the critics had nothing to say about it.  It just all seems fishy.

Don't my angry rant.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^yes indeed. And JFK wasn't assassinated because he knew the secrets to the government faking the moon 9/11

#JetFuelCantRotFreshTomatoes

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thor is at 93% and that movie was rubbish. Talk about bad cgi .... that film's norway is worse than <spoiler>Superman's cgi-ed lip.</spoiler>

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if they might do some more work on some of the CGI (especially Superman's lip) before the home video releases?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can we remember to be careful of spoilers. I know Moustache-Gate has been discussed all over the internet but it's still technically a big spoiler.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry about that, as you said been out so long forgot it was a spoiler.

hbenthow said:
I wonder if they might do some more work on some of the CGI (especially Superman's lip) before the home video releases?

Most of it I couldn't tell at all .... so hoping people just edit out the real bad spots.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you didn't know about the mustache, most probably wouldn't have noticed to be honest.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BOOYAH!!!

Just got back from seeing Justice League, and I pretty much smiled through all of it.

It's a FUN movie.  I don't know what film most of the critics saw, but this was very enjoyable ride for me.

Is it perfect?  No, far from it.  Is it the disaster the naysayers were predicting?  Hardly.

It is easily superior to Batman V. Superman in terms of narrative and tone.   The heroes are allowed... well, to be HEROES!
The strength of the movie is in the forging of the team and character dynamics between our heroes as they learn to respect and trust each other.   There is a lot of humour in this movie, but is more natural and character based, rather than outright comedy like the recent Thor.  This works to the movie's advantage, as it allows the audience to connect to the characters more easily and faster, which is necessary as there is a lot of groundwork to cover in the two hour run time.  But there is also some very nice dramatic beats involving each Leaguer, which adds some much needed weight to the film.  In fact, each new character proved themselves so nicely that I look forward to seeing more of them in their solo film adventures.

As others have pointed out, the villain Steppenwolf is another in a long line of underdeveloped CGI Monster bad guys that have plagued most superhero movies.  But he is no better or worse than Marvel's Hela, Ronin, Malekith or Ultron.  Did I feel any real sense of jeopardy with Steppenwolf?  No, not really.  But did I cheer when Superman shows up to kick his cgi butt?  HELL YEAH!!  

Speaking of the Big Blue Boy Scout.... THEY FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT!  Wow!  Cavill nailed it.  After two cinematic missteps, Cavill proves he is more than worthy to wear the red cape.

In fact, this movie get far more right than wrong imo.  It is still uneven narratively and I am not a fan of the over all look of the movie, but considering the behind the scenes chaos that reigned this production, it is far better than it has any right to be.   Of course, it all comes down to personal taste; so for me, it is not as good as Wonder Woman, but easily better than Age of Ultron.

So, as I said before, an imperfect but FUN popcorn flick.
Thumbs Up!  :D

alzagor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone found a copy of Zak's original script?  I'd like to see the plot differences.

While I don't want a 3hr movie, I could've used a little more before Superman gets jumpstarted.  In the larger picture it feels like he died fairly recently without seeing more than just big banners.  I'm not sure what would've made his death and rebirth feel less movie trivial.

Overall though -- it was a fun movie if you strip out all of Steppenwolf and the yet-another-world-ending plot.  Supes was spot on the vibrant boyscout.  Bats looked at home in his Gotham poses.  Wonder Woman continues to be perfect.  I was never a Cyborg fan, however the actor added a depth to it behind all the CGI.  Aquaman is no longer Southpark's Sea Man.  He has a lot of brooding texture to challenge Bruce Wayne's.  (Two separate groups of women, not girls, sighed whenever Jason Momoa appeared, haha).  The star of the show for me was Barry Allen.  I had low expectations and he shot it out of the park -- his delivery and quips were better than classic Spiderman.  I'd watch a movie with just him.

I was hoping for more with the last ending scene.  I thought maybe a Lantern?  Several people even clapped when the movie ended.

So I'm curious what they'll release as deleted scenes without confusing or souring Zak fans.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Spoiler tags added to the above two posts. Please be more careful guys.

Saw this last night. It was okay, definitely not bad but not great either.

It felt heavily hamstrung by trying to course-correct after BvS and having to introduce too many characters and concepts that were not properly introduced in that movie. I think given the mess Whedon was probably presented with, he did the best possible job he could have done in clearing it up and giving us a fun outing at the movies.

Aquaman wasn't particularly likeable. The actor playing Cyborg stole the show. Wonder Woman was great again.

Loved the scene (after the first big rumble) where all the other Super-Beings are chillin' in the Wayne-Plane and we see how bruised and battered Bruce is. It felt quite sad in a way. You forget sometimes that this character isn't an indestructible Superhero and is just a frail man pretending.

Cavill finally gets to be proper Superman. The moment where he puts the big fight on hold to go rescue some civilians (because everyone matters!) was what he should be doing. The rescue gag with Superman Flash was a classic. Here is hoping we get a 'Man of Steel 2' now.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
alzagor said:
Has anyone found a copy of Zak's original script?  I'd like to see the plot differences.

It's not a script, but there's an allegedly leaked list of differences between the two versions.

Spoilers (obviously):

Does This List Set Out Which Justice League Scenes Were Whedon And Which Were Snyder? [SPOILERS] - Bleeding Cool

Also, you might want to check out the DCEU Leaks subReddit, which features a lot of interesting rumors and leaked information about various DCEU projects (some real, some fake).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know about anyone else, but after the initial sadness at seeing all the bad reviews for this movie, eventually a different thought set in: "Oooh, this is so gonna be a big one in the fan editing community! How exciting it's going to be when we have multiple edits of this thing!" :)

Top Bottom