• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Justice League

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
You should watch BvS just to lead into Justice League, and I really, really recommend you watch Wonder Woman as it probably is (at least in my opinion) the best superhero film of the last 5 years with X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Really? I mean, it was pretty good, but the best of the last 5 years?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, how are you guys reacting to the news of a Joker standalone film produced by Mr. Scorsese?  

And then… (deep breath - WARNING: RANT BEGINS NOW) what do we make of the news that “The Batman” seemingly won’t be a part of the DC Extended Universe anymore, but rather a standalone story a la the Joker film?  What I think is that Warner Brothers is ready to backup if Justice League indeed does not meet expectations.  Furthermore, I do feel they have little to lose as two of the shared films prior to Wonder Woman (who was, de facto, a standalone film where the director had basically all of creative control - and it showed) have been terrible at best - one of the reasons for this being exactly because they spent too much time trying to come to terms with the fact they are a part of a “shared universe”.  Personally, preferring standalone films with a beginning and an end compared to shared universe films, if this were the case I couldn’t be happier since it could still give Warner Brothers and DC the opportunity to go out and make at least some of the films they were planning as part of a bigger franchise (I would point my finger toward Flashpoint, another Superman film as well as Gotham City Sirens, which has been confirmed) but would free them from the heavy comparison with Marvel’s work that has arisen until now.  

I am very sorry for my extremely long rant, but I wanted to give as many inputs I could on the current situation :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If a Batman movie is, or isn't part of the DCEU matters little compared to the question of if it is good. The Wonder Woman movie effectively played no part in the DCEU plot wise and people loved it and want to see more. It's almost as if people want to see movies because they are enjoyable and not because they are linked to other terrible movies in the same universe.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree.  I wasn’t trying to say otherwise.  A film, may it be Captain America: Civil War or Justice League needs to be worth watching because of what it presents and not because another good film lead into it or because the bad film in question leads into a wonderful film.  Regardless of how good Justice League will be, Batman v Superman isn’t worth much of a rewatch, even though it acts as a direct prequel and you may not understand JL fully when it comes out.  Especially in the superhero genre of this era, many people tend to think the contrary.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I welcome this development if it means that we'll be getting more standalone movies that don't have to function as trailers for other movies and that Warner Brothers will allow more creative freedom on each project.

I hope that this doesn't stop the standalone Batman movie from featuring Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, and J. K. Simmons, though.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always believed Batman is best suited to a world without Superman-level superheroes. I don't demand the full Nolan treatment - an occasional (mildly) enhanced/powered/meta player is fine, and maybe even Wonder Woman, depending on how strong she's portrayed as, but while I'm no DC expert, putting Bruce in his suit alongside Kryptonians and Lanterns and Flashes in outer-space command centers has always struck me as absurd. So, sure, a solo Batman, why not? All I ask is a decent script, which none of the DCEU movies (no, not even WW) have had so far.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Comics history spoilers below)

On the one hand, I've been saying for years that Marvel and DC are different properties that do different things well, and they should play to their strengths rather than try to copy each other.

Marvel has done well for a long time in the comics with having an interconnected universe. DC isn't as good at that, which is why they have to keep rebooting. But has Marvel ever produced such a large number of famous stories that stand outside of continuity, such as "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Superman: Red Son"?

And considering that they started their connected universe way late into their company's history (i.e., Batman's already older, and Jason Todd is already dead), it would be nice to see some of rhe great stories they skipped over.

On the other hand, will audiences get confused if there are multiple movies with conflicting versions of the Joker, Superman, etc. coming out within months of each other?

The upcoming "Flashpoint" movie might be the best way to deal with the issue, if it presents multiple parallel timelines as existing at once. Then they can actually do movies under a "DC Elseworlds" banner.

I don't know if that will be enough, but that might be the only way to handle it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One key MCU/DCEU difference is that Feige has had a plan from the start: an introductory phase, a second-act complications phase, and a third-act new intros and more complications phase all leading up to the big Infinity War event. Now, granted, it looks as though this whole saga may well wind up turning into one big Power Rangers story, with colored gems in magic gloves and shit. But, there's been a clear plan and direction from the start, minor modifications along the way notwithstanding.

With the DCEU, everything is haphazard. Nothing in MoS suggests there's Gotham right across the river from Metropolis. When Lex deals with government types in BvS, where's Amanda Waller? WW has a clear ending set up in BvS - she turns her back on humanity for a century - and her movie can't even be bothered to line that up, because for Zeus' sake don't send people out of the first major superheroine movie feeling glum! And now we may or may not be getting a solo Bat movie, there may theoretically at some point be a Justice League Dark and/or Batwoman movie, and, screw it, maybe we'll just scramble the whole damn timeline with this Flash movie we've announced multiple actors for, but have zero idea who'll direct what script when. And I just realized I wrote this whole paragraph without even remembering Aquaman is a thing, because Holy Gowron, do I not care about that.

Not everything has to be connected - I'm glad the X-Men are distinct from the MCU, and who knows if the events of Logan will ever be referenced again. DC can make multiple separate universes for all I care. But if you're going to put all your action figures in the same sandbox, you should know what the hell you're doing beyond the moment at hand.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
One key MCU/DCEU difference is that Feige has had a plan from the start: an introductory phase, a second-act complications phase, and a third-act new intros and more complications phase all leading up to the big Infinity War event. Now, granted, it looks as though this whole saga may well wind up turning into one big Power Rangers story, with colored gems in magic gloves and shit. But, there's been a clear plan and direction from the start, minor modifications along the way notwithstanding

Just remember that the infinity gauntlet has been around for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Infinity_Gauntlet

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought these were pretty fun and clever....

RETRO TRAILER....
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5W2iro0B0[/video]

ANIMATED...
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hkGH1XciU[/video]

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Newest (  ...final?) trailer...

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9-DM9uBtVI[/video]

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok… once again my feeling is mixed after seeing the trailer.  The “human” scenes look really good… but the plot and the action seem too super natural for my tastes… I don’t know.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
there is an alternate version of this trailer with slightly more footage in it.
i'm still not 100% on wonder woman's sword flip/trick it looks too cgi,but im liking how they took the comic com scenes which were of a blueish hue and went with a more reddish apocalypse feel .im also liking the song choice they went with.i dont think it will be the final trailer i think they might bring one more,maybe

Belgarath

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

'Familiar tunes' is what I call this track. I knew Elfman said he'll do a variation of the Williams' Superman theme (a hint of his own Batman theme is also present), but I cannot deny it feels kinda strange hearing those when new themes have been established for these characters. Sounds cool, though..

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedits of this have begun already!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
*sigh*

Yeah, looks like I'll be saving my money and binge watching The Punisher instead, this weekend.

The re-shoots are going to look exceptionally obvious, given its a new director.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The full "Justice League" soundtrack has been released, and Watertower Records (Warner Brothers' record label) has put the whole thing up on their official Youtube channel.

Here are Youtube link to all of the Danny Elfman tracks (ie, none of the pops songs included on the album), all arranged in the proper order:

The Justice League Theme — Logos

Hero’s Theme

Batman on the Roof

Enter Cyborg

Wonder Woman Rescue (Features an Elfmanized version of Junkie XL's Wonder Woman theme.)

Hippolyta’s Arrow

The Story of Steppenwolf

The Amazon Mother Box

Cyborg Meets Diana

Aquaman in Atlantis

Then There Were Three

The Tunnel Fight

The World Needs Superman

Spark of The Flash

Friends and Foes (Features Danny Elfman's Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme.)

Justice League United

Home

Bruce and Diana

The Final Battle (Features Danny Elfman's Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme.)

A New Hope

Anti-Hero’s Theme

The Tunnel Fight (Full Length Bonus Track)

The Final Battle (Full Length Bonus Track) (Features Danny Elfman's Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme, although the latter is oddly truncated compared to its longer appearance in the non-extended version of this track, which can be found above.)

Mother Russia (Bonus Track)

And here's the whole album as one long video:

Justice League Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Danny Elfman (Full Album)

Also, here's the entire album on Spotify:

Justice League (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

What does everyone think of the album as a whole?

Also, what do you think of the track "The Final Battle" (the regular version, not the extended bonus track) in particular? What are your thoughts on how Danny Elfman utilized his own Batman theme and John Williams' Superman theme? Also what are your thoughts on the Elfmanized version of Junxie XL's Wonder Woman theme?

Belgarath

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL I can even hear cues from his Spider-Man score in there (which is alright. I mean, Zimmer integrated his Da Vinci Code sounds into BvS). 
It's a proper Elfman score. Overall, it's alright. Not something I gonna listen on repeat.

I don't mind the use of his own Batman theme and the classic Superman theme as long as they work well in the movie. 
I do mind, however, completely abandoning the already established themes. And I'm not a fan of what he did with the WW theme. 

The JL theme sounds too much like Avengers.

For me, it lacks the cosmic magic of Hans Zimmer and the electronic fury of Junkie XL. It feels like it doesn't belong anywhere in the established musical momentum.

As for the movie itself, I'm hopeful but very skeptical.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Belgarath said:
It feels like it doesn't belong anywhere in the established musical momentum.

As for the movie itself, I'm hopeful but very skeptical.

I get the impression that "Justice League" is meant to be a "soft reboot" of the DCEU. Geoff Johns was brought on board to bring hope and optimism to the DCEU, Henry Cavill recently said that the tone of "Man of Steel" and "Batman v. Superman"  was a mistake*, a tie-in book for "Justice League" says that it will be the first time in the DCEU that we will see the "true Superman"** (ie, with his proper personality), Zack Snyder was allegedly trying to Whedonize the movie even before he left the project, Gal Gadot has recently said that Wonder Woman was superheroing in the "world of men" for a whole century after WWI*** (contradicting her century-long retreat from said world which was established in BvS), and Danny Elfman was allowed to use classic themes for Batman and Superman. I think that Warner Brothers is trying to turn "Man of Steel" and "Batman v. Superman" into the DCEU equivalents of the MCU's "The Incredible Hulk" (ie, technically part of the universe, but nearly forgotten).

[img=1076x600]https://web.archive.org/web/20171112220037/https://i.redd.it/qb5jtpens1xz.jpg[/img]

Top Bottom