If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Justice League
(08-06-2018, 12:00 PM)Gaith Wrote: Welp, my takeaway here is my blu-rays will not be rendered outdated by 4K blus or whatever the way my DVDs have been.

Yep. UHD will last longer than 3D BD but it won't pass it. The only real advantage it has is the decrease in price of 4k tv sets, but for the average consumer, it's meaningless.
---
"The best canon is your bookshelf, what you think is good enough to own." - Unknown Internet Stranger
So, I haven't actually seen Justice League in full, and I don't care to. But, out of curiosity, I checked out a quick clip of an action scene. I thought at least that would look good.

Dear Gods... This is even worse than I heard. The momentary editing is beyond atrocious. None of the shots connect to eachother, I have no idea where in the scene people are or what's going on. The green screen is pathetically bad, the CGI looks like it's from a PS2 game. And Henry Cavill's face is.... yeesh

Fucking hell, this is supposed to be one of the most expensive movies ever made?

Good luck faneditors, and may Darkseid have mercy on your immortal souls...
(08-08-2018, 09:33 AM)Zamros Wrote: Dear Gods... This is even worse than I heard. The momentary editing is beyond atrocious. None of the shots connect to eachother, I have no idea where in the scene people are or what's going on. The green screen is pathetically bad, the CGI looks like it's from a PS2 game. And Henry Cavill's face is.... yeesh

Will WB learn a lesson here? Will they realize cutting a director loose midway is dumb?

Better yet, will they learn to not give auteur vision of an entire franchise to an untested director?

Find out next time!
---
"The best canon is your bookshelf, what you think is good enough to own." - Unknown Internet Stranger
(08-08-2018, 09:59 AM)TinyBreadMouse Wrote: Better yet, will they learn to not give auteur vision of an entire franchise to an untested director?

Snyder had several big budget films under his belt before the DCEU, even worked with WB/DC on Watchmen. Whedon directed two billion dollar movies. Who was untested?

Not that I disagree with the statement, but I'd say that applies more to Lucasfilm, Fox, and Sony than to WB/DC.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
(08-08-2018, 10:16 AM)addiesin Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 09:59 AM)TinyBreadMouse Wrote: Better yet, will they learn to not give auteur vision of an entire franchise to an untested director?

Snyder had several big budget films under his belt before the DCEU, even worked with WB/DC on Watchmen. Whedon directed two billion dollar movies. Who was untested?

Snyder was an up and coming director with loads of potential, specifically for his comic book adaptations (but also his ability to manage a budget exceptionally well). But even with his crowning achievement of 300, I don't believe WB was justified in giving him the keys to the entire franchise. And by untested, I meant within the realm of film franchises. But, then again, in 2013 there weren't as many people you could reliably ask to make a cinematic universe outside of people currently employed by Marvel. And of course hindsight is 20/20

All we can do now is hope that the DCEU's failure can be used as a teaching lesson, not just for future DCEU movies, but for CU's as a whole. Monsterverse is shaping up to be good, and the MCU is obviously fine. If Dark Universe can salvage what was good from The Mummy and return to a Dracula Untold/The Wolfman style aesthetic while Sony finally gets it right with Valiant, we might see the CU fad live longer than we thought.
---
(08-08-2018, 10:28 AM)TinyBreadMouse Wrote: If Dark Universe can salvage what was good from The Mummy

I'm sorry, this is a bit off topic, but what was good from The Mummy? Don't get me wrong, I had a trememendous time laughing at it, but don't remember anything I'd call *good*
(08-08-2018, 10:28 AM)TinyBreadMouse Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 10:16 AM)addiesin Wrote:

Snyder was an up and coming director with loads of potential, specifically for his comic book adaptations (but also his ability to manage a budget exceptionally well). But even with his crowning achievement of 300, I don't believe WB was justified in giving him the keys to the entire franchise. And by untested, I meant within the realm of film franchises. 

He only made one original film. All his other pre-DCEU films have been remakes or adaptations from existing franchises and have been successful. I think you're conflating Snyder's role as director of three DCEU films, with the lack of a "Kevin Feige" at WB/DC, and the hiring of actual untested directors, which I would define as directors who have done less than one big budget film before being placed in charge of a large CGI-heavy franchise, like Gareth Edwards, Colin Trevorrow, Rian Johnson, Josh Trank, Marc Webb, Taika Waititi, etc.

I would say Zack Snyder was untested when he did Dawn of the Dead, but that pretty solidly established him (14 years ago, now).
// IdeasIdea Central //
As Zarius reported yesterday in the Fan Edit Ideas thread, based on a new Amazon listing, the Justice League is getting some sort of SPECIAL EDITION release.

There are two different dates listed, one in August and the other for October which as significantly higher price tag.  There has been no official press release yet.  So it is not clear if this an extended cut, and if so, whose version -- Whedon or Snyder?  It also appears to be listed as DVD only.

For more details and speculation:
https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/justice-l...g-released
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
A movie website I trust says that the Justice League Extended Cut is too good to be true.

https://heroichollywood.com/justice-leag...-cut-fall/
When has Heroic Hollywood ever been reliable?
---