• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Audio Distortions Caused By Handbrake

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering if, when converting files to smaller sizes with Handbrake, has anyone experienced any audio distortion? 

For example, a conversion of my BVS edit using Handbrake saw one scene jump slightly in the audio mix (the scene where Batman smashes through the window of the warehouse during the Martha rescue), I tried it with another file, a Doctor Who edit, and there was a brief moment where the audio very briefly jumped at the beginning. These problems cannot be found in the raw form of the videos I was converting.

Edit: Sorry, I posted in the wrong section, could this be moved to file conversion please?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This isn't a solution per se but I use handbrake to compress video and then just rejoin the output with the original audio file.

Doesn't explain why it happens, but you could avoid the problem by doing this.

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're using an MP4 file try these settings:
Under picture: set anamorphic to strict. Under audio: set codec to MP3, set bitrate to 192, and set mixdown to automatic.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
This isn't a solution per se but I use handbrake to compress video and then just rejoin the output with the original audio file.

^ This. Are you using Vegas? Output a nice AC3 and then mux it into an MKV (use mkvtoolnix) using the MP4 you encoded from handbrake

douchebag said:
audio: set codec to MP3, set bitrate to 192, and set mixdown to automatic.

^ Pease not this. There is no reason to use MP3.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In a follow-up due to faults found in my BVS edit, I went back in and ripped the source file using MKV Maker, converted the MKV with Handbrake, and did'nt have a problem with that, but it's the edits in general that are having the issue. I did a Doctor Who edit just the other week (not related to the ITW thread I have) and when I put it through the handbrake blender, a slight pop in the audio ooccurred at the very beginning.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
in my experience, some of the older versions of handbrake can create a nasty, high-volume pop at the start of the file. what version are you using, zarius?

two solutions: use a newer version of handbrake, or edit the sound out in your NLE.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using version 10.5 presently.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried changing the audio settings on Handbrake to AAC with a rate of 320, but again the pop was audible at the start.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
What are the input and output formats

ThrowgnCpr said:
re you using Vegas? Output a nice AC3 and then mux it into an MKV (use mkvtoolnix) using the MP4 you encoded from handbrake

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did as you suggested and I think it's come out A-OK

Top Bottom