• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek Beyond

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The movie premieres in less than two days and no one has started a thread yet?  lol

I must admit, I was feeling a bit pessimistic about this movie based upon the first trailer and some of the missteps from INTO DARKNESS but now I find myself becoming tentatively excited.... lol.    

Early buzz/reviews seem to be very positive, both Pegg and Linn are big Trek fans and the studio seems so confident that they have already greenlit Trek 4!

Though is it just me, does Quinto's wig look really bad? lol

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I was feeling a bit pessimistic about this movie based upon the first trailer and some of the missteps from INTO DARKNESS but now I find myself becoming tentatively excited

Totally the way I feel about it.

I'm trying not to get too hopeful but this could have the potential to be the best Trek adventure since ST6 & ST8. It doesn't have to setup a new universe, it doesn't look like it's going to be a weak homage to another ST film and I'm sure Pegg knows what the franchise is all about tonally (e.g. Bones isn't sidelined ;) ).

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a great movie. Definitely feels more Trek-like without compromising the audience's requirements for an action blockbuster.

It kept Kirk and Spock pretty much at arm's length in favor of fleshing out the McCoy/Spock double-act. Kirk instead gets partnerd with Checkov, who serves a neat purpose of asking questions the audience have about things when some situations arise, which Kirk then answers in his own smartarse way. Sulu's sexual preference is a complete non-issue (and apparently they cut out a scene where he kisses his husband), but he gets small yet impactful jobs throughout the movie. The twist with Krall reminds me a bit of Insuurection, and again tries to pin everything bad on twisted Starfleet military of old. There is a continuity nod to Enterprise in that the Xindi are mentioned also. I wish they had kept the Franklyn at the end, rather than rush into the Enterprise-A's construction and launch, but that's just me

They handle Leonard Nimoy's absence very well...and the entire original cast gets to appear at the end too

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw this yesterday and yeah, it was great, probably one of the new top five's of Trek movies.

I wonder if you could edit this movie to remove any mention of
this movie taking place in an alternate timeline and pretending the first two movies did not happen. Probably not, since Spock Prime's death plays a huge part in Spock's character arc here.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oooooh the feels when...

...young Spock finds this photo...

star-trek-v.jpg

...amongst old Spock's treasured possessions.  The Nimoy tribute was done so well. Not just a shoehorned reference but used to inform the plot. Great job guys!

Oh and the crew using 'Sabotage' by the Beastie Boys... to literally Sabotage the enemy, was inspired!

Hey @"bionicbob" a spoilerific question for you...

I noticed the NX??(I forget the number) Franklin looked kinda similar to the ship in the Enterprise TV show. I remember almost zero about that show, so what's the deal there? Are they from similar time periods (100 years ago?), before, or after and are there other Enterprise references?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Absolutely LOVED this movie!!!!!!!!!  Two thumbs way, way UP!!!!

Light years better than INTO DARKNESS.   Maybe even better than Trek 2009 because the third act is so much stronger.

I loved the utopian Roddenberry Yorktown starbase, and just how the movie stayed true to the Trek philosophy of unity.

Wonderful balance of action, character and humour.  

They have made this long time Trekker a believer again!  :D

TM2YC said:
Hey @"bionicbob" a spoilerific question for you...

I noticed the NX??(I forget the number) Franklin looked kinda similar to the ship in the Enterprise TV show. I remember almost zero about that show, so what's the deal there? Are they from similar time periods (100 years ago?), before, or after and are there other Enterprise references?

okay, here is how I interpret it.... SPOILER WARNING (why can't I find the spoiler tag...? lol)

NX were the first class of experimental starships for Starfleet in the 22nd Century.  However, clearly in the Kelvin Timeline, history unfolds differently as the series Enterprise takes place before the Romulan War between the years 2151-55, and the Enterprise is the first warp FIVE starship.  In the movie, Scotty says the Franklin was from the 2160s, that it was the first warp FOUR starship and Captain Edison fought in both the Xindi and Romulan Wars BEFORE becoming Captain.   Though I guess there is wiggle room to fit it into the Prime Timeline too, since Scotty does not give an exact date and could be mistaken and Edison may not been the Captain when the Franklin was commissioned, thus he could have taken command after the Romulan War and the founding of the Federation.  But yeah, basically the Franklin is the precursor to the Enterprise.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
SPOILER WARNING (why can't I find the spoiler tag...? lol)

[*spoiler]Secret Text[*/spoiler]

(Just remove the two * from the above)

I liked STID much better than a lot of people, so the fact that everyone seems to be digging this one has me even more excited.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pleasantly surprised by this one.  My favorite of the three Abramsverse entries so far, and the best Trek movie since First Contact.  And possibly the most Trek-ish in an even longer time.  In place of Into Darkness's almost desperate attempts to use recycled bits from past films, instead we get something more original that really taps into the heart and soul of what makes the series great.  It makes the callbacks feel all the more meaningful when they do happen.  The action is there, but it all serves to further the plot.  No wasted moments - almost every minor piece winds up playing a part, some in very cool and unexpected ways.  Good stuff.

The use of Sabotage - something I was dreading - was one of the highlights of the film for me.  The villain's entire philosophy is that Federation values breed weakness... yet his military might is undone by culture itself.  That's awesome.  That's what it's all about.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic film! Definitly the best since First Contact. Although, it will be a shame that this will be the last time we will ever see this version of Chekov.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I vote for not recasting Chekov...

...as luckily, the excellent Jaylah character being inducted into Starfleet at the end of STB, provides a logical (and I'd guess popular) replacement for Chekov.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I vote for not recasting Chekov...

...as luckily, the excellent Jaylah character being inducted into Starfleet at the end of STB, provides a logical (and I'd guess popular) replacement for Chekov.

I argree with you.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
J.J. Abrams confirmed that they aren't going to recast Chekov.  Tasteful.

I think the best way to handle his absence in the next movie would be to simply have someone mention that he got promoted to first officer of the Reliant.  A simple eloquent callback - and without Khan to get in the way, there's no reason to assume things wouldn't go well for Pavel this time around.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A thought just came to me.  Incredibly mild spoilers follow.  More about what isn't in the film than what's in.

Is this the first Star Trek movie without Klingons in any capacity whatsoever?  They were absent in Wrath of Khan and the 2009 movie, but were mentioned in dialogue in both.  I don't recall a single mention of them in Beyond.  Interesting, if so. 

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nic said:
I wonder if you could edit this movie to remove any mention of this movie taking place in an alternate timeline and pretending the first two movies did not happen.

I'm wondering the same thing. I think it should be possible as long as all references to plotlines from the first two movies (the alternate timeline, destruction of Vulcan, Spock's romance with Uhura, etc) are removed. I'd like to see someone take a crack at it. 

This is the first movie in the Kelvin timeline to actually look and feel almost like an updated version of the original series. It might even be fun to make the movie feel a bit more 1960s with small touches like replacing the Beastie Boys song with something from the 1960s or earlier.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well crap, I was excited by the reviews but I found this to be really disappointing, by far the worst of the three reboot movies.  There were some good parts, but overall it was meh to annoying. Way too much action, especially because it was all shaky-cam and confusing closeup choreography. Idris Elba was completely wasted in this film, unfortunately. And it was too long. One of those movies where I kept hoping it would get better but it never really did.

Bummer.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Well crap, I was excited by the reviews but I found this to be really disappointing, by far the worst of the three reboot movies.  There were some good parts, but overall it was meh to annoying. Way too much action, especially because it was all shaky-cam and confusing closeup choreography. Idris Elba was completely wasted in this film, unfortunately. And it was too long. One of those movies where I kept hoping it would get better but it never really did.

Bummer.

sigh. I haven't seen yet, but I am going in with super low expectations. The action comments worry me.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd never heard of Justin Lin but I looked him up and discovered he directed four of the Fast and Furious movies, and it all makes sense now.

I miss JJ.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He didn't direct the last one (that was James Wan which is incredibly weird) but though we differ in opinion on Beyond, I completely agree with your statement. My favorite parts of the later F&F movies are the scenes where we get characters just bonding. I think the theme of family shines through the big action, and I like Star Trek Beyond for the very same reasons.

To each his own.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want to fanedit this movie now and just remove 90% of the action.  And reshoot Idris Elba so you can actually see him acting.

Most of the character stuff (including the new protagonist) was really good, actually, which makes it all the more disappointing.  The only exception to that was Zoe, who had nothing to do but listen to Idris explain his evil plans.

Top Bottom