• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Faneditor Interview: Beezo Part Deux

excellent, kindredninja & bezoar. I want more of these!

particularly enjoyed the discussion re: audience feedback and commentary tracks.

Thanks for the hard work on writing this up @"thecuddlyninja"!  For the briefest of moments, even I thought I knew what I was talking about.  :p

I read this interview when it first came out, but I didn't get around to responding to it until now.

@"thecuddlyninja" did a great job, and @"beezo" continues to be a great interviewee!

I totally agree with you about the score to The Force Awakens. I left the theater feeling very disappointed, but I've been listening to the score on Spotify and enjoying it quite a bit. As you said, it was just more subtle than usual. I wasn't quite expecting that at first.

Like Beezo, I often want something to replace the original disc. There are other kinds of fan edits that I really like, too, but if it's a straightforward FanFix, I want it to be the default version that I'll watch. That's why Adywan's is the gold standard. Who needs another version of A New Hope when you have that?

While I try to be kind to all fan editors because I know how hard it is to do, I'm probably a bit harder on FanFixes because the editor inevitably either doesn't take out stuff that I think should be gone, or removes stuff that I really like. I probably enjoy something more like War of the Stars II because a radically different reworking of the material doesn't have the same burden on it that a FanFix does of trying to become the definitive version. 

I can see how hard it would be to edit down a season of a TV show into a movie because, as you said, people would miss all the character development. It would be hard for me to lose stuff that I love. The nice thing about editing down a TV show is that at least there's a ton of footage to work with. The more footage that's available, the more freedom that you have in reshaping the narrative.

The ideas you two have about studios releasing fan edits along with the films -- I love that idea, and it's an exciting one. I don't know if it would ever work, though, because even though fan editors understand now that they don't own the source, people who spend lots of time and effort playing with copyrighted material often get an angry sense of propriety about it. That's what we're seeing right now with the Star Trek fans who are livid that Paramount claims ownership of the Klingon language, even though the fans knew full well they were playing with intellectual property owned by Paramount when they began building upon it.

That's not happening right now, of course, but I could see it happening in the future. And, hey, we just saw what happened with Raising Cain, so what do I know? :)  Maybe someday our dreams will come true!

I have more to say, but I gotta run. Anyway, it was great reading what you both had to say!

Back
Top Bottom