• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Kick-Ass-Terisk

Smithers

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently watched Kick-Ass and although I found it very entertaining, I was distracted by the insane amount of F-bombs dropped and other profanities as well as some of the more over-the-top sexual references/gags/jokes. In Canada the rating isn't PG-13, it's actually 14A, the 14A ratings are very lenient when it comes to violence but normally opt for an 18A [R] rating when the language and/or sex is more prominent. My goal is to move Kick-Ass from an 18A rating to a 14A rating by seamlessly cutting every single F-bomb and C-bomb as well as cutting most of the sexual references/gags/jokes but still leaving in the over-the-top violence. 

This should be out very soon as it was shockingly easy to do for most scenes. I will upload a preview ASAP and once I get some feedback I'll upload it to vimeo. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in a preview! :)

EDIT: The edit is finished, I've watched it and found nothing wrong. If anyone wants to see it, I'll be uploading it to vimeo soon. I also have a front cover here: 
big_42083_kick-ass-60f8316c.jpg

Neglify said:
MovieJim sock confirmed.

I looked up MovieJim and all I found was moviejim1 who has no posts at all so honestly I don't get it :(

I think his forum handle was his name, James something. He did the epic "Back to the Future Reality Cut" and all his edits had a goal of cutting bad language and making it more family friendly.

What the hell is a terisk?

Google was no help.

The dictionary defines "Terisk" as a badly laid garden patio.

Asterisk, y'all - to make it not a dirty word.

"Ass-terisk."

I get it now.

making a total assumption here...
he's not aiming to make Kick Ass "family friendly" by removing the swears.
but rather to make it less gratuitous . . less clownish . . less like it was written by a privileged 12 year old white kid.
i fully support this edit because i found nothing clever about the movie or the source comic.
Big Daddy and Hitgirl seemed like they belonged in a completely different movie/comic.
(i feel the same way about the Wanted comic.  i thought the movie went in a way better direction than the graphic novelization of an Eminem music video.)

baileym43 said:
making a total assumption here...
he's not aiming to make Kick Ass "family friendly" by removing the swears.
but rather to make it less gratuitous . . less clownish . . less like it was written by a privileged 12 year old white kid.

Exactly, you've hit the mark! The movie will never be "family friendly" but the writing was full of swears in each sentence.

"bad" words?  not allowed! no way! think of the children!!!!
excessive violence?  yeah that's cool...

ThrowgnCpr said:

Maybe it's a commentary on American television, which is that to a T.

Just playing devil's advocate: I don't think removing bad words is always to protect the children or the persons that could be offended.
Sometime it can be done to give back some class to characters that look silly always swearing around.
I mean what if Vader was yelling "Fuck!" all the time? That surely would not have made him the great villain he is.

TMBTM said:
I mean what if Vader was yelling "Fuck!" all the time?

I'd watch that.

It works for Mace Windu.

TMBTM said:
Just playing devil's advocate: I don't think removing bad words is always to protect the children or the persons that could be offended.
Sometime it can be done to give back some class to characters that look silly always swearing around.
I mean what if Vader was yelling "Fuck!" all the time? That surely would not have made him the great villain he is.

sure, but in the case of Kick Ass, the language played perfectly into the characterization and tone.  Also, I'd totally watch Vader yelling FUCK all the time. :p

ThrowgnCpr said:

I think you're kinda missing the point here, I haven't made it "for children" I've just made it into a 14A movie rather than an 18A movie. Canada's ratings are pretty lenient on the violence so I had no reason to cut it down, not to mention that the violence is hilarious.

Not missing the point. I just think it's a messed-up aspect of society that we are lenient when it comes to violence, but foul language is unacceptable. If anything, it should be the other way around.  It's your edit though, so do whatever is more culturally acceptable to you...

Smithers said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

I think you're kinda missing the point here, I haven't made it "for children" I've just made it into a 14A movie rather than an 18A movie. Canada's ratings are pretty lenient on the violence so I had no reason to cut it down, not to mention that the violence is hilarious.

I think you might have missed his point, which is that it's crazy how lenient the ratings are on violence vs language.

Back
Top Bottom