• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Finding Dory Discussion (Spoilers)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got back from watching Finding Dory with my kiddo. This was his first movie in the theater, he's 3 years old. I thought the introduction was fantastic and made the movie feel like a perfect extension to the first film. The flash back sequences, especially the "ghost" scenes at her home, were used in an excellent way. This movie explained so much about unexplained occurrences in the original film in a perfect way. I was saddened that the film used Gerald the sea lion, who obviously has special needs, as a gag (seen at 1:46 in the trailer below). These bullying scenes felt especially out of place as the previews included android's fantastic celebration of diversity and anti-bullying commercial.

[align=center]

Back to the movie. The new characters: Dory's parents were great, Destiny the whale shark was a great connection and story linker, but Bailey the Beluga whale felt more like a cheap gimmick. The real life facts about echo location were neat, but ultimately he was a bit annoying as a character, imo. The same could be said for Becky the Loon, and the sea lions. None of these characters lived up to Nigel the pelican from Finding Nemo. Most important of the new characters was Hank. Hank was mildly entertaining and served as a guide and link to the climax of the movie, but overall he just felt like a stand in for Marlin to give Dory someone to talk to and narrate the story. His camouflage was great, and I laughed more than a few times at his antics, but he seemed to have no purpose beyond transportation over waterless terrain. I do wish that the climax of the film was something less involved with humans or the animals performing extremely unrealistic feats (yes I know the majority of the whole movie is unrealistic). It was just a little too over the top for my taste. My kiddo even asked when the movie was going to end right before and during these scenes. I noticed the majority of the kids in the theater were fidgeting and restless too. Yes, the scene was tense, but this was a bored fidgeting that I observed. Seems like the movie was 15 minutes too long. Last, Sia's rendition of Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable" was a very odd choice here for the ending credits. The song is great, in its original presentation, but this is just dark and creepy feeling. I thought I was back at the end of the Two Towers listening to "Gollum's song" as she crooned out the lyrics. I kept getting the vibe of that song, especially the part that says "We are lost! We can never go home". Maybe that was just me, but I would have preferred Nat King Cole's duet with his daughter to what they chose. The original's cheery tone would fit better with Charles Trenet's "Beyond the Sea" sung by Robbie Williams from Finding Nemo. This may be the first Disney animated film I actually edit. Here are the songs for comparison.

[align=center]Finding Nemo Credits​

[align=center]Finding Dory Credits​

[align=center]Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole Version​
[align=center]

Though it never rose to the brilliance of Monsters, Inc's "Boo" scene, even with all my nitpicks I felt this movie was a solid 8/10.

What did you all think?

Back
Top Bottom