• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Ultimate Cut)

Coriolanus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone! 

I made my "Mockingjay Ultimate Cut", an edit that blends Mockingjay Parts 1&2 into a single 2:40 hour movie.

As a fan of The Hunger Games franchise, I did my cuts very concious of the implications and alterations that could be created in the story.
I tried it with relatives and other fans out there, and the reception was very good.
For the relatives who had no idea of the story, they didn't noticed any inconsistency or weird cut, and for the other fans, they think that the story has a stronger emotional impact when you see it all at once. (I think most will agree on this one. The 12 months gap between both parts hurt the characters conection with the audience)

Here are some details of the cuts I made:

-Part 1 is shortened to one hour.

-Plutarch discussion with Alma Coin cuts directly to the hovercraft in District 12. No Boggs carrying Katniss to the hangar in District 13.

-We cut from Katniss leaving the cafeteria, to his nightmare and little chat with Prim. No scene with her and Gale.

-Katniss attempt of propo is shortened to one try.

-The scene with Snow ordering an attack on the hospital in District 8 is cut. The events on 8 are the same aside from that.

-The hunting scene outside of 13, Peeta's second broadcast, and the second trip to 12 is cut. We go from Gale saying to Katniss they can hunt above ground, to the quarry in 12 (Whch in this version you don't know it's in 12)

-Katniss finds her mom and sister early in this version, there's no scene of Prim rescuing the cat.

-After Katniss and Finnick have a little chat, we cut to Katniss in the vents, and Haymitch telling her that they're rescuing the Victors. There's no atempt to do another propo outside.

-The rescue scene and final speech by Coin are cut.

-We go to Katniss in her braceneck to the very first scene in part 2 when she tries to speak.

-The scene with Katniss and Gale kissing in their way to District 2 is cut. (The love triangle aspect is erased in this version)

-The events in District 2 are trimmed. There's no emphasis on loyalists that need to be persuaded, so Katniss speech and her being shot is cut.
The relevant events in D2 are Gale's ideas for bombs (keypoint), Gale and Katniss diferences about morality in war, and the downfall of the Capitol's source of weaponry. So we go from the destruction of the mountain to the dinner in the Capitol's mansion.

-There's no scene with Johanna in the hospital (remember Katniss isn't wounded in this version) and there's no scene with Katniss and Peeta in the hospital.

-Once in the Capitol, Caesar broadcast is cut. We have Snow informing that Katniss is dead, and the group decides to go underground.

-The walk underground is trimmed until the scene of the mutts.

-Once in Tigris apartment, the chat between Gale and Peeta is cut. I wanted to make it a quick stop  before going to the streets of the Capitol.

-In this version, Gale goes on his own after Katniss ask him about THOSE bombs. There's no "Goodbye Gale"; he knows he fucked it up.

The last 15 minutes are the same, except for some really minor trims.

And overall, that's it. Again, I really think it works, and I would love to read some feedback.

PS: Obligatory "sorry for my english" ;)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I removed the download link from your post. No download links for any footage are allowed to be posted in this forum. 

If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to pending approval.

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still haven't seen either of these movies. The edit def sounds like it would help the narrative out. Interested in seeing it eventually.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've previewed 'Mockingjay (Ultimate Cut)' by @"Coriolanus" for the IFDB Academy and I'm happy to say it's approved! :)

At 170 minutes, this is 1 minute shorter than Jerick's cut but of course differs in lots of additions and subtractions I'm sure. I preferred this version, although I'm not familiar enough with the two source movies to tell you exactly why. With 90 minutes trimmed out, this is a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the original painfully slow versions but it still lacks some pace and energy in the first half for my taste.

The all too brief pockets of excitement are still interrupted by too much exposition and soul searching in grey, dull, lifeless, badly-shot bunkers. Still, the third act flies along much like the first two movies. If somebody could whittle this thing down much closer to 2-hours, with all the action and all the politics but a minimum of the winging ;)  we might have an ideal cut for me... but until then, Coriolanus has crafted the definitive version in my opinion (I prefer Jerick's ending though).

This is one of those rare first-time edits that is technically perfect from start to finish. I didn't notice a single audio/video change anywhere. I watched a decent looking 12GB 1080p mp4, it's not a great looking movie to start with but the encode has preserved it well. Great job and I look forward to more similarly slick projects from this faneditor.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

Thread moved

Coriolanus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, I wasn't expecting this, thank you so much!

Top Bottom