• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The future of Sony Vegas?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I may not even wait for my latest Mac to die.  Odds are I will toss it in the garbage in the new year and replace it with an Asus.  :D

Well, Microsoft seems to be following suit. Not nearly as bad as Apple, but Windows 10 has been making me want to jump to Linux. If Vegas ran natively on Linux, I'd already be there.

At any rate, it sounds like you do have a lot to take into consideration. I think test driving each NLE would be a good way to help with the decision.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem is I don't think Vegas is available on Mac, so he'd need to either borrow a machine, install Windows on BootCamp, or buy a PC. Unfortunately, there is no free solution to test for him, I don't think.

And for what it's worth, I really like Windows 10. :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What can I say? I was young and stupid and fell for the creative arts hype. But let us not forget I switched back in 2009, so I didn't even last a full decade on it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
The problem is I don't think Vegas is available on Mac, so he'd need to either borrow a machine, install Windows on BootCamp, or buy a PC. Unfortunately, there is no free solution to test for him, I don't think.

And for what it's worth, I really like Windows 10. :)

No worries there, last xmas I bought my daughter an Asus gaming laptop.   It is worth more and more powerful than my Mac lol.... spoiled kid!  :p
So I can definitely test drive both Vegas and Adobe on it.  ;)

On an unrelated side note, my wife just got a new laptop too and it has Windows 10.   Have you noticed issues with Google Chrome not working properly with W10?  It kept stop working every couple days, kept having to do updates/reboots.  Finally switched it to Administrator Mode, and now it seems okay so far?

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
On an unrelated side note, my wife just got a new laptop too and it has Windows 10.   Have you noticed issues with Google Chrome not working properly with W10?  It kept stop working every couple days, kept having to do updates/reboots.  Finally switched it to Administrator Mode, and now it seems okay so far?

Chrome is my primary browser and I've never had an issue with it. Do you maybe have a Chrome extension that could be causing problems?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought Pro after using Studio for years but haven't started using it yet (my current edit has some plug-ins in use that are locked to my version of Studio, unfortunately).  The big thing I'm looking forward to is the upgrade from Architect Studio to Architect Pro...I don't recall the details but Architect Studio insisted on recompressing my video when making the DVD.  There was a workaround that I was able to use successfully but it was a pain and it will be nice not to bother with that this time.  The other big difference for me is the limited number of audio tracks in Studio...granted, it's still a decent number of tracks, but I have so much going on that I rapidly ran out and have to resort to some tricks to get things right.

A few weeks ago I ran into a simple fx problem (putting a box around on-screen text) that I couldn't get to work in Studio, but it was simple to do it in Pro, render it out, and drop the finished video back into Studio.

Studio is super powerful for the money and I think it's a much better value than Pro, but there are some nice things about Pro if you can afford it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the advice guys!  It is deeply appreciated. :)

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
That One Guy said:
The Colour-Match tool looks interesting and quite promising to me, for instance...

I've never got good results from the colour-match tool.

TVs Frink said:
I bought Pro after using Studio for years but haven't started using it yet (my current edit has some plug-ins in use that are locked to my version of Studio, unfortunately).  The big thing I'm looking forward to is the upgrade from Architect Studio to Architect Pro...I don't recall the details but Architect Studio insisted on recompressing my video when making the DVD.  There was a workaround that I was able to use successfully but it was a pain and it will be nice not to bother with that this time.  The other big difference for me is the limited number of audio tracks in Studio...granted, it's still a decent number of tracks, but I have so much going on that I rapidly ran out and have to resort to some tricks to get things right.

A few weeks ago I ran into a simple fx problem (putting a box around on-screen text) that I couldn't get to work in Studio, but it was simple to do it in Pro, render it out, and drop the finished video back into Studio.

Studio is super powerful for the money and I think it's a much better value than Pro, but there are some nice things about Pro if you can afford it.
Ah yes, this is the issue where Architect Studio does not support 24p source files and insists on re-encoding. The workaround is very useful but it would be nice not to have to bother. (Also to be able to add multiple audio tracks and an audio select screen, while I'm at it...)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh yeah, I forgot about the multiple audio track thing.  I'd like to a commentary some day...

Top Bottom