• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The future of Sony Vegas?

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's news to me that Vegas is being discontinued. I use the software, but don't really look at behind-the-scenes stuff. It's disappointing for sure. However, at least there's hope since it was acquired by someone else. Time will tell, but for the time being, at least we can stick with out current versions.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's looking pretty good for the continued development of Vegas.  MAGIX just posted an update on the Creative Cows forum:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/998767#998767

Many of you in the community are already aware of the news regarding the acquisition of Sony Creative Software products by MAGIX. 

I am here to chime in and provide some more details specifically regarding Vegas Pro and future product development. 

MAGIX has assembled an experienced, dedicated Vegas Pro development team here in the Madison Wisconsin area, under product owner Gary Rebholz. The new Vegas team consists of people from SCS, and a number of them date back to when that group was part of Sonic Foundry. They have worked diligently and passionately for almost two decades to make Vegas what it is today. We are a team already experienced with development and support of Vegas, working for a software company who is already experienced in Multimedia NLE development. 

Our intent is to have a release of Vegas available in the fall of this year, and continue developing and supporting Vegas into the future. We would like to hear from you, the members of the Vegas Pro community, regarding your favorite features, specific things you would like to see addressed, and questions you may have. 

Here are some answers to questions we already see in the community. 
- We have no intention of moving Vegas to a classic subscription model. 
- Current plan is to release Vegas Pro in the fall of this year. 
- MAGIX will develop Vegas and Movie Studio into the future. 
- MAGIX will continue to support all current SCS customers who purchased acquired products from Sony to ensure a seamless end user experience. 

Thank you for your continued support. Your feedback is valuable and will help us enhance Vegas and return it to the level of tool we want it to be and something that will excite even new users. 

-Eric Dettman 
MAGIX Software GmbH 
MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

So, faneditors: now is your chance. If there are features you want to see changed or kept in the next version of Vegas, speak up!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sounds great!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a pretty sweet deal going on at the moment - $200 for Pro 13, with a free upgrade to 14 when it's released.  I'd say things are off to a good start for Magix.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is good to hear. Of those of you who have made the jump from studio to pro, was it worth it? What other features have you used that aren't included in the studio edition?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a computer changeover and tried to install DVD Architect but there's no link on the new page. I expected they wouldn't support it if they didn't plan on making a new version but I should be able to download what I already bought and use it. Anybody else have this problem?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I had a computer changeover and tried to install DVD Architect but there's no link on the new page. I expected they wouldn't support it if they didn't plan on making a new version but I should be able to download what I already bought and use it. Anybody else have this problem?

I'm guessing there are going to be some bumps while Magix gets the new system established. Architect will continue to be developed, as far as I know. I suggest getting in touch with their customer service:

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/support/

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Movie Studio is getting a similar promotional treatment to the recent offer on Vegas Pro - there's a $20 discount off the Platinum package at the moment (though sadly not on the Suite version) which gets you version 13 now and 14 when it's released. Offer is valid until the 29th.

I'm distinctly tempted. Any Movie Studio users able to comment on how v12 compares to v13? The Colour-Match tool looks interesting and quite promising to me, for instance...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That One Guy said:
The Colour-Match tool looks interesting and quite promising to me, for instance...

I've never got good results from the colour-match tool.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After years of using the old Final Cut, I am considering making the switch to something different since I have become disenchanted with Apple and completely hate their last couple OS (I think Mavericks is pure EVIL lol)... but I am a bit out of the loop at to the current state of things.

I was originally considering switching to Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but I see it is now only available through subscriptions and using their Cloud service which makes an old fart like me uncomfortable since I prefer having a hard copy of everything.

So now I am looking at Sony Vegas Pro too, and just the simple option of being able to still buy a physical product makes it very appealing to me.

But what is the opinion of my trusted fellow fan editors?  Which software is better?  What are the pros and cons of each? :huh:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I was originally considering switching to Adobe Premiere Pro CC, but I see it is now only available through subscriptions and using their Cloud service which makes an old fart like me uncomfortable since I prefer having a hard copy of everything.

So now I am looking at Sony Vegas Pro too, and just the simple option of being able to still buy a physical product makes it very appealing to me.

But what is the opinion of my trusted fellow fan editors?  Which software is better?  What are the pros and cons of each? :huh:

I share the same grumpy old fart mentality about subscriptions vs. physical products. There are many of pros to using Premiere if you do a lot of special effects work; the NLE integrates nicely with After Effects.  That said, I really dislike the GUI. But that's a preference thing.

I'm quite fond of Vegas, and I've been using it for several years. I don't do a ton of special effects work, so I don't see the need to explicitly link After Effects with my NLE. I can render any clips out of Vegas to lagarith for effects work in AE or blender, and then drop back in my Vegas timeline.  So, the main con for Vegas is that it is stand-alone and not directly linked to any VFX or imaging applications. That doesn't really bother me. It's pretty powerful otherwise. Even the studio version is surprisingly powerful at a tiny fraction of the cost.

Another benefit of Vegas is that many seasoned faneditors here are using it, so you have a lot of folks to help with any technical questions/issues. There are Premiere users too, but its a smaller pool.

I think Vegas allows you to install Pro for a trail period (downloadable from the website). If not, you might consider just grabbing a cheap copy of Studio somewhere (can probably find for less than $40) to give it a test run for a while.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I much prefer Premiere since I came from FCP and the UI is very similar. You can still buy copies of CS6 which was their last offline (i.e. Non-subscription) version.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I much prefer Premiere since I came from FCP and the UI is very similar.

I was wondering about that. I never used FCP, so I couldn't comment directly on the interface comparison. Premiere and Vegas are likely very comparable in terms of what they can do. It really boils down to which GUI you prefer.

If you are truly wanting to avoid a subscription/cloud service, the only downside of going with premiere is that you would effectively be locking yourself in to version CS6. In the short-term, probably not a bit deal, but if you are making a longer term switch, you might want to give this some more thought.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've tried Vegas Pro and never saw any benefit other than the 3D rotations and expanded video and audio track allowance it allowed vs studio platinum hd. Are there any benefits that warrant a $250 price jump from the introductory studio suites?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So much to consider....

I very much doubt I would use or need much FX work.... however my daughter is another story.  At 16, she has turned into a very talented video editor and I can see her more easily embracing more advanced tools of the craft than her old man lol.

I have thought about buying an older version of either software, but then as others have said, you are then locked in with no means of updating.  So in the end, I would probably end up buying the latest version.

Though it is probably smarter to do a test drive first before fully committing.  :p

Funny, I never thought I would have to deal with this... I have been using MACs for over 20 years.  
I was a loyal follower.
A believer.

How times have changed.   Apple replaced the near perfect Final Cut Suite with the inferior iMovie on steroids FCPX.  They "improved" their OS so they do not support any older Apple products, rendering thousands of dollars of investment useless.   :mad: 
They have become the very machine they used to rage against.   So sad.

I may not even wait for my latest Mac to die.  Odds are I will toss it in the garbage in the new year and replace it with an Asus.  :D

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I've tried Vegas Pro and never saw any benefit other than the 3D rotations and expanded video and audio track allowance it allowed vs studio platinum hd. Are there any benefits that warrant a $250 price jump from the introductory studio suites?

In addition to the 3D features and number of audio and video tracks, Pro has additional compositing modes, masking features, dedicated audio mixing console, multi-cam editing, number of effects, and a lot of minor stuff. Studio is probably more than enough for most editors. Note, that there are even differences between Studio versions. The stand-alone version is more limited than the Suite (bundled with Architect) version.

Top Bottom