• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Silent Era shuttered

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
silentera-rev.jpg

Is anyone familiar with SilentEra.com ?

I visited today and noticed it was shut down.
For years, this was a fabulous source for news and release info on Silent releases.
It's archives also compared quality of different releases of the same film.
This is quite surprising and will be a big loss of Silent era buffs.

Anyone have an idea what happened?

Dont have any idea except the fact that they said its gonna discontinued.

Truly sad news. It was indeed a tremendous source of all things silent.

Does it mean, since they closed with immediate effect, that there wasn't time to sort out an agreement for the data? A proper handover to someone? Surely the entire database isn't just gone?!

It should be accessible through archive.org, though. But as someone at the nitrateville-board mentioned (boy, are they sad!), there are suddenly a large amount of dead links all over the web.

I browse Nitrateville from time to time, though it is more chatter than info.
That site was the first place I went, by the way.
As you noted, Archive (ie - Wayback) is an excellent time capsule of that site.
Bummer, dude.

It's back!

OK, I Admit It.
I overreacted and gave up in frustration.
I intended to walk away from all this and live a different life — perhaps, attempt to recapture my days decades ago as an amateur musician. Maybe, I would have the midlife crisis that my wife says came ten years too late. However, in the past weeks, many Silent Era readers expressed their disappointment that the site was no longer available and their appreciation for the years of work that went into it.
I feel that I owe everyone an explanation, but, that can come later. Meanwhile, the Silent Era website is back online, and I am busy writing and compiling data. Sheepishly, I hope everyone will read the more than 24,500 pages of the Silent Era website and take time to enjoy the films that we all love so much.

http://silentera.com/

Hmm, wonder what happened?

Hopefully, he'll update the recent releases.
Grapevine has been steadily putting out new DVDs.
Olive released The Undesirable, and British Film Institute Shooting Stars, packed with extras.

Thank you for updating this.

Back
Top Bottom