• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Revisited by ANDREAS [PoA coming later]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HARRY POTTER and the GOBLET OF FIRE (& PoA): REVISITED

Harry Potter 1 & 2 were respectively out of date and non-consistent with the rest of the series, in which I for my two previous edits took Alfonso Quaron's approach to the Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and brought them into a gritty, realistic atmosphere in an elsewhere magical fantasyworld. I touched upon the two movies with new sfx, music, effects and colors, and changed pace and tone as well as atmosphere.
[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
Now, having had my break from the Potter World, I'm ready to tackle the next entry (or entries, that is) to my Potter list. 

[/font][1] EXPLANATION @ TWO EDITS
[1.1] - Prisoner of Azkaban is, in my book, the best one in the Harry Potter franchise, and deemed pretty much flawless in both pace, tone, emotional weight and performance as far as my view stretches on the matter. There are things I do want to improve, as well as creating a nightmare scene for Harry when encountering the Dementor for the first time (in which he sees his mom and dad and hear them talk), and minor alterations and changes to better fit it into my Potter Edits-narrative, but apart from that I have no interest in creating vast differences in what is already a pretty damn strong movie, with the best original score for the entire series.

[1.2] - Therefore, as there will not be as many differences in PoA as can be expected for my edits, Prisoner of Azkaban: Revisited will be included with the release of Goblet of Fire: Revisited, which is an entirely different kind of edit...

[2] THE GOBLET OF FIRE
Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire is the kind of Harry Potter movie that, as for my passion and mind, requires a totally different kind of work. Just like Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, it has many weak beats and pacing issues - as well as a narrative full of oddities, but the thing that really stands out for GoF is a horrible original score that horrifyingly resembles Pop Music or a weird Potter-remix. The score has its moments, but most of it is really not cohesive as for the rest of the series on-going themes. Like the opening intro for instance (DUN-DUDUD-DUN-DUDU-DUN - EEEH-EEEEH- DUN-DUDU-DUN-DUDU-DUN - EEEH-EEEEH) that sounds like some horror house trance music.

So just as Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, the Goblet of Fire needs a much more cohesive tone to follow along with the rest, as the tone of the fourth movie is in many ways quite different from the rest of the series - not just in score and pacing, but in visual style and tone.

I also noticed how Goblet of Fire Director, Mike Newell, tried to get back in some of all the warm, golden, cozy colors of Columbus' entries, and when listening in on the Commentary Track I found it odd how these choices came into play. Prisoner of Azkaban had a silver/brown color palette to it that looked very lived-in and real, and then suddenly Mike Newell decided to throw all of that away - despite all the critical acclaim for the visual style of the Prisoner of Azkaban, because he always liked the warm tone of the Columbus' movies, yet he continued with the visual presentation (Hogwarts tracking shots and movie style editing) created by Alfonso in PoA.

... So for me it feels like this half continuation of PoA, but half back-tracking into CoS, yet trying to make the movie even darker than its predecessors, and what do we get? A stylistically confusing movie, trying to create its own style, whilst the series already has established what that exact style now should be.

With all these problems away, the movies should deliver some great and gritty, well-paced and well improved adventure! At least, that is the goal!

Let's remaster this magic!

[3] SHOWCASE (Not always the finished product)

Barty Crouch Arrives at the World Quidditch Cup / Attack
Notice how none of the Auras or Barty Crouch now use spells. They now instead apparate there! Much more Harry Potter-ish and logical than attacking teenage kids.

Opening Nr. 160 - New WB Opening (trying a new opening tone in spirit of 1-3, before going darker).

Extended Train Sequence / Traveling to Hogwarts
A new and extended train sequence to Hogwarts. More sinister, and more in spirit of PoA (unreleased soundtrack from the movie).

A Letter to Sirius / Hogwarts Transition
A new transition, much more in spirit with the franchise.

You'll notice that certain soundtracks are returning. Soundstracks like different variations of Double Trouble, Peter Pettigrew's theme, A Window to the Past, Memory Box (a very beautiful string theme from Sorcerer's Stone), Voldemort's theme at certain places and more.

A musical continuity is very important to me, to better bridge all the movies together in a way that other great franchies do such as Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Here's an alternate shot as well, which is more of an idea. I want to somehow create a cool Double Trouble continuation, but a short one, before never hearing it again.

[4] CHANGELIST
1.1. Entire movie color graded.
1.2. Major musical alterations, as well as new sound effects.

1. Opening intro is new. Darker, shorter and much more on the nose. Very dramatic.
2. Opening Intro has a completely new Sound Track (new music, new SFX).
3. Added more tension after nightmare/intro sequence; SFX. Original abrupted to quickly.
4. Altered Portkey Sequence to be more consistent with the rest of the series. Also less sparky.
5. Removed several seconds of Harry going into Portkey-world and all the videogame-asthetics with it.
6. Created punch-imagery to Portkey-travel-sequence, for franchise consistencies.
7. New SFX to portkey for consistencies.
8. Removed the Weasley Twins falling on the ground after Portkey-ing. I always imagined them being accustumed to this,
opposite Harry, Ron and Hermione - who I believe all do it for their first time.
9. Removed the horrible, 80's sky-walking from Mr. Weasley and the Diggery's after portkey-ing.
10. 1.1 Removed hundreds of frames from World Cup exterior shot. Horrible CGI and color grade.
11. 1.2 Heavily color graded the exterior shot.
12. Removed Blouf's World Cup speech, as there is no pay-off to the match. Cut after Viktor Krum intro.
13. 2.1 Removed the line "Let's get back to the portkey everybody". Really, they left it on the hilltop?
14. 2.2 Rotoscoped the Weasley Twins for position matching for next scene after line removal.
15. Created/Added some Death Eaters arriving as smoke, like in OotP and 
16. Added subtle, sinister music from PoA as Bartey Crouch Jr. comes into frame. 
17. When Ron & Hermione finds Harry, Bartey Crouch and his Auras all shoot spells at them and misses. This is stupid for two
reasons; 1. they are the best at what they do, and they all friggin miss! 2. they have no freaking idea who is there,
and they still attack. So now, only Bartey Crouch shoots a spell while the others just watch, and it is not stupefy - it 
is just a random, white spell, implying that it is Lumos - used to get a better look at the trio in the dark.
18. The Dark Mark has a new visual alteration to look more sinister, and a new musical score.
19. "Harry & Hermione" soundtrack plays as Hermione worries about Harry's scar on the train.
20. A completely new soundtrack for Hogwarts tracking shot and the introduction of the two schools arriving.
21. Re-lined two scenes. After Mad Eye-Moody exterior Hogwarts shot in the rain, we move straight to interior scene with
Dumbledore presenting the Triwizard Tournament and its rules instead of funny table scene with Hagrid. This is to continue
on with the suspense. After that is done with, we then end the Great Hall sequences with the humorous scene.
22. Removed Igor Karkaroff's solo sprawl through the night-befallen Hogwarts Castle and into the Great Hall. Stupid scene,
trying to create unneeded sucpission and creating uneven pace.
23. Re-lined two more scenes. The Goblet of Fire-sequence, where Cedric and Krum put their names in the goblet, is now 
at night and before Mad-Eye Moody's Dark Arts Scene. The Dark Arts scene is therefore now after that scene, instead of
before it, to create a time gap between the Goblet's selection process and the Great Hall Selection Scene.
24. Removed Fred & George's Aging Potion-sequence and their fight in the Great Hall, trying to trick the Goblet of Fire.
Not paticuarly funny, and also a waste of good pace and dramatic tension.

... much more.

Awesome! I like the new opening but the music is too heavy and doesn't sound like Harry Potter IMO. Could you remove the weird intro to the school with them swinging their staffs around? That always seemed too goofy to me.

Digging the opening, but I feel like the music playing when the old man walks up to the Riddle House should be a bit more dark and brooding than the 'prepare for battle' type feeling it evokes.
Also when the movie came out I didn't really like the pan up to the title zooming past the screen without that "Harry Potter-esque flare" like in Prisoner of Azkaban or Philosopher's Stone. Even the theme snippet that plays over the title sounded dull and lazy.

Reading the book as a kid I always imagined the title flashing onto screen with Voldermort casting the killing curse onto Frank Bryce (the bright green-white flash of the spell fills up the screen and fades into the title), with the Harry Potter theme music exploding in with it for a few seconds before Hermione wakes Harry from his painful nightmare. Not sure if you like the idea or not, or even if it will work with your edit, but I'm just throwing it out there. I imagine it would make an exciting opening to the film. 

In any case, looking forward to seeing where this edit is going. The film is probably my least favorite of all Potter movies (shame because I absolutely love the book) due to a lot of obvious consistencies, over simplification of the plot, stretching out certain scenes unnecessarily, elimination of subplots that are important in later sequels, imbalance of narration, etc.
So anyway I think there's still hope for this film, and it seems you are the man for the job! Good luck!

Oh by the way:
I don't see it in your cutlist but will you be doing something about Dumbledore being a rusty, man-handling angry old fart with 'HARRY, DID YA PUT YER NAME INTO THE GOBLEDDOF FIYAH?!'? I just can't stand that.
Another is Voldermort going 'your filthy MUGGLE mother'. Its such an obvious thing any Potterhead knows that Lilly was a damn witch. Some angle timing and audio splicing could simple have it say 'filthy mother' since Ralph Fiennes speaks the phrase out slowly.
Will you also be doing anything about cutting out a lot of the unnecessary battle between Harry and the dragon during the first task? Its just wasteful bloat that took up screen time that could have been used for an important subplot. Can't remember now but this is true with a handful of other scenes as well.

Smithers said:
Awesome! I like the new opening but the music is too heavy and doesn't sound like Harry Potter IMO. Could you remove the weird intro to the school with them swinging their staffs around? That always seemed too goofy to me.
- ''The music is too heavy'', you refer to when the Old Housekeeper walks towards the Riddle House? If yes, then I might be agreeing with you and MWRK that it might indeed be just a tad to strong and heavy. I'll look for something more sinister and subtle.
- And 'swinging their staffs around', i assume you're referring to the Durmstrang introduction? If yes, then I actually quite like that part - simply because of the soundtrack which is pretty darn epic, but I might take a look into it and see if I can remove that awful swinging-effect, which looks ridiculous.
Canon Editor said:
Go on with it!  Good Luck!
Cheers, mate! Happy for your support!
MWRK said:
Digging the opening, but I feel like the music playing when the old man walks up to the Riddle House should be a bit more dark and brooding than the 'prepare for battle' type feeling it evokes.
Also when the movie came out I didn't really like the pan up to the title zooming past the screen without that "Harry Potter-esque flare" like in Prisoner of Azkaban or Philosopher's Stone. Even the theme snippet that plays over the title sounded dull and lazy.

Reading the book as a kid I always imagined the title flashing onto screen with Voldermort casting the killing curse onto Frank Bryce (the bright green-white flash of the spell fills up the screen and fades into the title), with the Harry Potter theme music exploding in with it for a few seconds before Hermione wakes Harry from his painful nightmare. Not sure if you like the idea or not, or even if it will work with your edit, but I'm just throwing it out there. I imagine it would make an exciting opening to the film. 

In any case, looking forward to seeing where this edit is going. The film is probably my least favorite of all Potter movies (shame because I absolutely love the book) due to a lot of obvious consistencies, over simplification of the plot, stretching out certain scenes unnecessarily, elimination of subplots that are important in later sequels, imbalance of narration, etc.
So anyway I think there's still hope for this film, and it seems you are the man for the job! Good luck!

Oh by the way:
I don't see it in your cutlist but will you be doing something about Dumbledore being a rusty, man-handling angry old fart with 'HARRY, DID YA PUT YER NAME INTO THE GOBLEDDOF FIYAH?!'? I just can't stand that.
Another is Voldermort going 'your filthy MUGGLE mother'. Its such an obvious thing any Potterhead knows that Lilly was a damn witch. Some angle timing and audio splicing could simple have it say 'filthy mother' since Ralph Fiennes speaks the phrase out slowly.
Will you also be doing anything about cutting out a lot of the unnecessary battle between Harry and the dragon during the first task? Its just wasteful bloat that took up screen time that could have been used for an important subplot. Can't remember now but this is true with a handful of other scenes as well.
1. I do agree with Smithers and you on the Riddle House march. It is a tad to strong and heavy. I'll look into it.
2. I like your idea on bringing the flare back to the title. I'll actually take and do that. However, I do like the transition from the title and onto the next scene, as it's panning through almost like.. well, magic. Also, for the Potter Theme, I might create a more epic version of it playing as the title flare unfolds that fits with the new piano music.
3. As for the Avada Kedavra-curse on Frank Boyle turning into the title with the bright light (like in Sorcerer's Stone, but with the scar), I'm not sure if it would work the way I want the opening to work. However, I am always open for improvement, so I'll - for the fun of it - try your idea and see how I can make it work with the tone I want. It would be cool if it worked, as it would continue on with the flare/trend of SS and PoA.
4. As for the plot/your thoughts on GoF, I completely agree - except that I like SS the least out of all of them, although a lot better now that I made an edit out of it. But it's just so... stylistically boring, and a complete lack of on-going suspense and cohesive tone. Bleh.

5. No crazy ass Dumbledore high on cocaine in my edit, no. All the white-sniffing is gone from the film, except for "HARRY POTTAAHRRR!" when he asks for Harry's response a third time. Simply because I like the tone and vibe it gives, when you actually hear Dumbledore feeling helpless for the first time. Like, this would be the person Dumbledore would the least want to participate in a tournament - the boy who lived and who he deep down knows he has to keep alive and really cares for, and I think that helplessness and kinda anger is well-performed here. After that, it just becomes too much, as if Dumbledore has gone crazy, and therefore no more screaming from his part.

Thank you for your support and kind words!

What is people's thoughts on the three tasks? What works, and what doesn't? I mean, they're pivotal to the concept and anticipation of the movie, so what are your thoughts? I really want to improve them all.

I want the first to be short, the second to be longer and the last - the maze - to feel like a long, torturing hell. But before I can do any of this, I need to get an understanding of the audience.

Well as I mentioned earlier, the first task was unnecessarily stretched out with (most) of the areal stuff with the castle rooftops (it doesn't make sense because non of the spectators can see any of the action and given how shady the situation was with harry's name in the goblet and people accusing him, he disappears with the dragon and then after quite some time flies back to the stadium alone, it should just raise more questions than celebration at the end of it). 
I don't really have any complaints with the second task and how it was shot. It was suspenseful and fast paced for the most part. What i see as problems are the repeating continuity errors with Hermione 's towel changing places between hers and harry's shoulders several times during the announcement of the results, and a missing plot point about how non of the students submerged underwater were in any actual danger. Hogwarts is a school after all. 
The 3rd task came too suddenly (at least I feel) after the 2nd task, but talking about the task itself I don't feel like there is much that could be changed. Its got less activity and challenges in the maze than in the book version, but its dark and tense. The thing is there aren't any deleted scenes that can be used to flesh out the final task, unless you count the one where the trio are discussing Harry eavesdropping on Karkaroff & Snape arguing about the dark mark (yet another deleted scene) before the 3rd task begins. 
Karkaroff and Snape arguing about the dark mark during the Yule Ball is also an important deleted scene I think. It'll certainly help balance the pace between the second and final tasks, and also help that short and wierd confrontation between Snape and Igor before Snape accuses Harry of brewing polyjuice potion.

In a nutshell I agree with you on how the tasks should be edited, but how exactly to get about stretching out the 3rd to make it seem long and torturing, not sure exactly because it has been a while since I last saw the film.

MWRK said:
Well as I mentioned earlier, the first task was unnecessarily stretched out with (most) of the areal stuff with the castle rooftops (it doesn't make sense because non of the spectators can see any of the action and given how shady the situation was with harry's name in the goblet and people accusing him, he disappears with the dragon and then after quite some time flies back to the stadium alone, it should just raise more questions than celebration at the end of it). 
I don't really have any complaints with the second task and how it was shot. It was suspenseful and fast paced for the most part. What i see as problems are the repeating continuity errors with Hermione 's towel changing places between hers and harry's shoulders several times during the announcement of the results, and a missing plot point about how non of the students submerged underwater were in any actual danger. Hogwarts is a school after all. 
The 3rd task came too suddenly (at least I feel) after the 2nd task, but talking about the task itself I don't feel like there is much that could be changed. Its got less activity and challenges in the maze than in the book version, but its dark and tense. The thing is there aren't any deleted scenes that can be used to flesh out the final task, unless you count the one where the trio are discussing Harry eavesdropping on Karkaroff & Snape arguing about the dark mark (yet another deleted scene) before the 3rd task begins. 
Karkaroff and Snape arguing about the dark mark during the Yule Ball is also an important deleted scene I think. It'll certainly help balance the pace between the second and final tasks, and also help that short and wierd confrontation between Snape and Igor before Snape accuses Harry of brewing polyjuice potion.

In a nutshell I agree with you on how the tasks should be edited, but how exactly to get about stretching out the 3rd to make it seem long and torturing, not sure exactly because it has been a while since I last saw the film.
I agree on the Dragon task. I've removed Harry catching onto the castle roof. He now gets kicked off, and gets back onto his broom as he falls.
As for the second task, I found it way too boring. I'll try to 'up the suspense. Add some more evil mermaids pursuing Harry and whatnot.

And as for the Maze; well, my ideas are to prolong it with about 1-2 minutes, by creating new scenes within the maze. Rotoscoping, and many new exterior and 'suspense' shots. Make the maze and Harry much more paranoid.

And I agree on the deleted Snape & Karkaroff scene. It'll be put back in.

How about removing some of Harry's screaming in pain during Voldemort's transformation? I thought it was kind of distracting. And what do you think of rotoscoping Ralph Fiennes eyes so that they are red?

Hardbackyoyo said:
How about removing some of Harry's screaming in pain during Voldemort's transformation? I thought it was kind of distracting. And what do you think of rotoscoping Ralph Fiennes eyes so that they are red?
Yes, yes and yes. All very good suggestions. The eyes I've been thinking about for a long time, and I'll definitely do that.

As for the damn subplot with Harry & Ron fighting, I'll remove that as much as I can. What a pathetically executed story device. It completely detracts from the story, and diminishes their relationship rather than build upon it.

Andreas said:
As for the damn subplot with Harry & Ron fighting, I'll remove that as much as I can. What a pathetically executed story device. It completely detracts from the story, and diminishes their relationship rather than build upon it.

Thank you!! I always hated that stuff, it was only upsetting and frustrating.

Ron was a selfish, horrible person for the entire series.  He realized that he could only get Hermione in the end if he changed, so even that had selfish motives...  Harry should have called him out more often, and Hermione should have married Harry.

The reason why Voldemort wasn't given red eyes is because they thought it would limit the amount of emotions he could give. Do you disagree?

The reason why Voldemort wasn't given red eyes is because they thought it would limit the amount of emotions he could give on screen. Do you disagree? And do you think a voice filter on Fiennes could also work? Make it a little creepier?

I would also like some download links for the HD versions of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets Revisited, please?

Hardbackyoyo said:
I would also like some download links for the HD versions of Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets Revisited, please?

If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

I have to disagree. Its a very cliche thing that the main character end up with the beautiful and brainy girl at the end while the side-kick ends up as an after thought. 
The romantic tension between Ron and Hermione always existed, even in the first book/movie. I remember watching Chamber of Secrets at the end when Hermione runs down the hall and hugs Harry, but stops and awkwardly shakes it out with Ron, and thinking 'hope they'll end up together (because order of the phoenix the novel was just about to be released at the time) and I knew they were going somewhere with it.
Its refreshing, and it shows that the centre-of-the-attention pretty boy doesn't always get the girl, and that guys like Ron can win too. Plus on many an occasion we see Ron's struggles. Youngest of the boys in the family, always in the shadow of his over-achieving/well rounded brothers Charlie, Percy and Bill in the family department, in the shadow of his way cooler twin brothers Fred & George in the social department, overshadowed by his best friend many times, he's the underdog that helps Harry and the school win the battle against voldermort. He more than deserved to end up with Hermione. 
I like that Harry ended up with Ginny too, and I mean Ginny from the books, because the film version of the character wasn't as dynamic enough. Its an uncommon pairing, and something I like about the series is its deviation from the norm.

Coming back to the edit, can't believe I didn't think of rotoscoping. Maybe for the third task you could rotoscope out some of the reaction shots of the crowd from the first task (when Harry and the dragon were flying around hogwarts, since you're cutting it out), color grade them and add them to increase the suspense. Some of the silent moments could be extended to increase the tension, especially after Crouche put the imperius curse on Krum. There is one deleted scene right after the second task where Moody talks with harry that could be of some use to show more of him while the third task takes place.

I also agree that maybe their decision to not give him red eyes is so that he could show more emotion, but maybe a red or maroon tinge  in his irises as a compromise? It wouldn't have to be that visible so there isn't much work to do for his far or medium shots, but it would be visible in his close ups. Or maybe you could have a red/maroon tinge flare up in his eyes when he first opens them in that dramatic 360 close up angle, make him more menacing. Eh?

Harry and Luna made more sense. Both outcasts, both experienced traumatic childhood events, and they seemed to appreciate and understand each other on a deeper level than just "your female and I'm male and we're near each other so let's do this" or "you're famous, maybe I'll be famous if we make out".

However, it bugs me that there is any romance for Harry at all. That would be the last thing on his mind during all this, and Ginny was only a real part of the story in the second book/movie. Even while reading the book, with all the extra thoughts and insight, I had an Arrested Development reaction to their relationship, "her?". She should have been along for the ride in the hunt for the horcruxes at least, so we could actually see them grow closer. But yeah, Harry and Hermione getting together wouldn't have made sense.

It also bugs me that Harry/Ginny relationship came so out of the air in HBP. It's not developed at all throughout the movies, except for one short nod in CoS when Ron tells Harry that Ginny has been talking about him all summer. But Harry never showed her any interest whatsoever. Then suddenly he wants to bone her and she wants to suck dick tying his shoelaces.

I can't remember now but Harry started developing feelings for Ginny in the order of the phoenix after Cho chang gets mopey on him. Its very gradual in the books but everything's suddenly shoehorned into the plot when its required, like Dobby in Deathly Hallows when he freaking should have appeared in Goblet of Fire and Mundungus Fletcher in order of the phoenix. Its true, in half blood prince the movie it all seems way too sudden. Maybe if David Yates had been the series regular since Goblet of Fire maybe things would have changed and the Harry-Ginny relationship would have got more attention than it did.

Back
Top Bottom