• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Featured Fanedit In-The-Works: Mulholland Drive - The Pilot

You know, I'm really enticed by this project- but I feel I need to raise a few questions/issues.

First of all, given the fan-edit policy towards bootleg materials, I have to ask - wouldn't the reconstruction of the pilot function as a promotion of piracy?

Second of all, Lynch's original pilot was, according to him, over two hours long. ABC initially told him he could let it run past the normal duration limit, but then had him 'butcher' it to about 85-90 minutes. 

So, I'm not sure the new material that was shot was 50 minutes - more likely the film reinstated some of the material originally excluded from the pilot version.

Neosmith said:
You know, I'm really enticed by this project- but I feel I need to raise a few questions/issues.

First of all, given the fan-edit policy towards bootleg materials, I have to ask - wouldn't the reconstruction of the pilot function as a promotion of piracy?

Second of all, Lynch's original pilot was, according to him, over two hours long. ABC initially told him he could let it run past the normal duration limit, but then had him 'butcher' it to about 85-90 minutes. 

So, I'm not sure the new material that was shot was 50 minutes - more likely the film reinstated some of the material originally excluded from the pilot version.

Well, I can't seem to find the Own the Source threads and the other relevant threads on this on the new site (I imagine someone will come in and link to them--instead of doing that, could someone tell me where they are now so I know for future?), but if I remember correctly, the policy simply states that if a movie/show/whatever has been commercially released, you must own it. I don't believe we have any policy against bootlegged copies of things that were never released. We actually have a fanedit of the Star Wars Holiday Special on IFDB, and that obviously was from a bootleg copy.

Neosmith said:

No. I'm only using footage from the Blu-Ray release of Mulholland Drive. There are shots that start a few seconds earlier or extend a few seconds, alternate shots not in the feature, as well as two deleted scenes not included in any officially released version. Because of that this edit is about 95% what the pilot originally presented to ABC originally was. No footage from the bootleg will be incorporated.

I'm not sure the new material that was shot was 50 minutes - more likely the film reinstated some of the material originally excluded from the pilot version.

As far as I know the only scene in the movie not included in the pilot was the scene with the two men at Winky's before they go find the homeless person in the back. They also shot the Silencio scene but that was for the European market to close out the pilot as a television movie (much like Twin Peaks) and wasn't intended to be included in the US pilot.

So, I'm doing this project as a preservation of what was presented to ABC, not what Lynch intended to do initially as a 2 hour pilot.

Son of Suns said:
Well, I can't seem to find the Own the Source threads and the other relevant threads on this on the new site (I imagine someone will come in and link to them--instead of doing that, could someone tell me where they are now so I know for future?)

Near the top of most every page.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]
So, I'm doing this project as a preservation of what was presented to ABC, not what Lynch intended to do initially as a 2 hour pilot.
[/font]

Okay, I see.

[font=Raleway, sans-serif]No. I'm only using footage from the Blu-Ray release of [/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif]Mulholland Drive.[/font][font=Raleway, sans-serif] There are shots that start a few seconds earlier or extend a few seconds, alternate shots not in the feature, as well as two deleted scenes not included in any officially released version. Because of that this edit is about 95% what the pilot originally presented to ABC originally was. No footage from the bootleg will be incorporated.[/font]

I didn't mean that you were using the footage from the bootleg, which I've seen, btw. 

It's more that you are reconstructing a version that was made available/accessible only through illicit channels. 

So, wouldn't this HD reconstruction promote the 'original' leaked pilot - and by extension, its bootleg circulation/reproduction?

Neosmith said:
It's more that you are reconstructing a version that was made available/accessible only through illicit channels. 

So, wouldn't this HD reconstruction promote the 'original' leaked pilot - and by extension, its bootleg circulation/reproduction?

No, because I'm only using footage from the film, not the bootleg. As long as you own the feature film of Mulholland Drive you're not seeing anything that hasn't been released commercially. I'm just reconstructing the movie to resemble the pilot.

TVs Frink said:
Son of Suns said:
Well, I can't seem to find the Own the Source threads and the other relevant threads on this on the new site (I imagine someone will come in and link to them--instead of doing that, could someone tell me where they are now so I know for future?)

Near the top of most every page.

Oh, now I see 'em. Hidden out there in plain sight.

Now I just feel silly.

Back
Top Bottom