• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cover Art Tutorial (video)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've gone through and made a tutorial for all of those interested.  This is a video tutorial for making a fanedit DVD cover (or any dvd cover for that matter).  I've created a folder for you to download which has all of the materials I use in this cover and tutorial (including the final photoshop project files).  So, you can follow along, Bob Ross style :) Sorry, there are no happy little trees in this cover :D.  Download the project files HERE.  ~27MB

There are two options for you for the video.  You can watch the vimeo version below (which is still very nice quality) or, download the full HD version from us HERE.  If you download the version from us, it also contains the project files and folder in the rar archive.  The file is ~300MB

I would consider this tutorial appropriate for all skill-levels.  There are detailed instructions for all the steps, so those of you who havent done much with your image editing software should still be able to follow along.  For those of you who are a little more comfortable with imaging, there are some techniques here that may be considered a little more advanced.

• Topics in this tutorial:
  • layer management
  • color correction
  • filters
  • layer styles
  • blending
  • working with vector files
  • layer transformations
  • working with text

The tutorial is for Adobe Photoshop, however many of the techniques would be applicable to other image editing applications.  I've made some notes below (think of them as appendices).  Please leave comments.  If something needs further clarification, I can update this post.

Additional Notes:

warping text
In the video, I didn't go over how to warp text, which I did for the text "The ADigitalMan Extended Addition" on the disc. Below are some notes and screenshots for how I did it

Create a new text box, and add the desired text.  After you have your text how you want it, resize the dotted text box so that there are no gaps around the text.  see the image below.
DiscArtTutorial1.jpg

At the top of Photoshop, click on the warp text button (indicated by red arrow below)
DiscArtTutorial2.jpg

Change the style to "Arc" and adjust the bend amount to fit your curve.  For this disc it was -66
DiscArtTutorial3.jpg

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if something needs clarification, and also just if this was a help.  I am willing to do more tutorials in the future.  Enjoy.  AND MAKE SOME COVER ART!!!  :D

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks hawkings :D !!!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent tutorial ThrowngCpr - very informative stuff.
Well explained and easy to follow for newcomers to photoshop. It inspired me to try my hand at some DVD artwork/covers.
I need to get used to the programs but once I get a feel for it I'll submit something.
Thanks!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is fantastic news elbarto1!! Just what I was hoping for :) I can't wait to see your covers

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
just giving this a bump for our new members. We have a new contest coming up soon, and this is a great way to get a start. :)

Batman Beyond

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, once again.

I've been trying out your template, but I can't paste more objects out of sudden because "the scratch disks are full".

What does that mean?! Its driving me crazy...

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Batman Beyond said:
Hello, once again.

I've been trying out your template, but I can't paste more objects out of sudden because "the scratch disks are full".

I had this problem to a few days ago....and still havnt a clue what was wrong.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I learned everything I know about Photoshop from this video :smile:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
AvP said:
Batman Beyond said:
Hello, once again.

I had this problem to a few days ago....and still havnt a clue what was wrong.

never had this problem, so I'm not exactly sure what it means.

And I am glad you guys are getting some use from this tutorial. We ALWAYS need more cover art!!! :)

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tutorial Thrown, am downloading it at the moment and shall take a look as soon as i have it.

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That tutorial video you made is great thrown, I shall certainly have a go with it, thank you.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
searcher said:
That tutorial video you made is great thrown, I shall certainly have a go with it, thank you.

nice. I'm looking forward to your covers :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
update: this video has nearly 8,000 views on vimeo :eek: this is great, but I would love to see some more covers from y'all if you are watching it ;)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, its a very helpful guide, I have linked friends to it with photoshop questions!

as for seeing more cover art... methinks it smells like time for another cover art contest :smile:

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
as for seeing more cover art... methinks it smells like time for another cover art contest :smile:

hehe, my life is in overdrive right now with work. I barely have time to check the forums a day every week. Though, that will soon change, and I have been thinking of the next contest. so its not that far around the corner :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
update: this video has nearly 8,000 views on vimeo :eek: this is great, but I would love to see some more covers from y'all if you are watching it ;)

bumpage. newest stat on this video: nearly 13,000 views!!! How about some new covers from you faneditors!!!!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this video is THE beginners guide to cover art creation. if you want to learn how to get started working w/ photoshop THIS is the place to start!
watch. learn. create!
:smile:

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When you guys composite images for covers, is your method something like the one outlined here?

"]

Or is it acceptable to just put one layer over another and take the opacity down? Usually just taking the opacity down looks a little crude, but sometimes it seems to be really effective. Is there a "done"-and-"not done" convention when it comes to techniques for compositing images?

Top Bottom