• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

How do I, um, Edit Mpeg Video?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This may be the stoopidest question I've ever put out there but here's the situation.

I'm working on a small edit project with some small tweaks.
I want to reAuthor the entire DVD rebuilding it very close to the original.

I've demuxed all the parts. I intended to make my changes, remux everything and then use IfoUpdate to make it work.

It works in theory, and with days of troubleshooting I found the problem:
Just the act of putting the video in Mpeg Video Wizard and exporting it (direct stream copy with no changes). Does SOMETHING to the video that prevents the subtitles (subpicture streams) from playing correctly (they sort of flicker/cut out early).

Can anyone recommend another mpeg editor for the PC?
TMPGenc's merge/cut tool tells me my clips are different (and I've matched every little encoding detail I can think of) so I can't make my tweak.

Soooo. Help?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you don't change anythign to the timing of the subtitles, this might be the way:
1. Demux the DVD with PGCDemux to get the original framebased chapterlist.
2. Rip the subtitles with subedit to srt.
3. Convert the subtitles with subtitle workshop to ssa.
4. Create a movie only DVD with DVD Lab Pro using the chapterlist formthe roiginal and the ssa subtitles.
5. Use Vobblanker, import the real DVD, replace the movie with the one you created with DVD LAb Pro. And voila. This should be it.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boon23, isn't SSA a text based format? See that doesn't work for me (at least in this case).

Ok, so I've got it fixed. Womble dropped the ball.
Free software to save the day.

At this point I'll strongly recommend Cuttermaran to anyone looking for free frame accurate mpeg editing. Even better it's multilingual for you non native english people. On the down side, English wasn't the author's first language either.

It's not Womble, but in this case that was a good thing.

Whew. Now if only I could delete this thread.

Top Bottom