• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Sony Vegas - general help & questions

corgicar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to tweak a couple of areas in my Sith edit. To do this I need to move about large sections of the project with a ton of different elements. Is there an easy way to select an entire section of the project and move it?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah... there are a few different kinds of cursors.... and there are little cursor selection
buttons up top.... maybe towards the middle of the screen (sorry, i'm not at home right now)...
just roll over them and it will tell you what they are.... what you want is the "selection tool"...
with that tool you can simply click and drag over large areas of the timeline in any number of tracks
and that will select everything in that area.... you then switch back to the normal edit tool (make
sure to note which that is before you change it because the logo is sort of weird) and with the
normal edit tool you grab the whole section and move it where you want.

hope that helps.... any questions, just let me know.

corgicar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great! Thanks! This will allow me to get much more detailed in the edit.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a vegas movie studio 9 question (its the orange box cheapie version) -

I am nearing the end of my first cut of my first fanedit (hooray!) and I need to go back and insert a scene in the middle of the film. However, if I try to move the video and audio tracks to the right (of the cut point) to make room for the new scene, the whole timeline wont move together, just the individual cut I my cursor is on. this makes the cuts to the right mush together and can move transitions and crossfades out of sync/position.

Is there a way to "lock the track" so I can move only what is to the right of my cut point in unison to easily insert a scene without disrupting the work I have done?

I have been highlighting everything to the right, cutting it, inserting the scene then pasting what I cut back, but this is a huge pain in the ass and there got to be a better way.

thanks.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On the full Vegas there is a button on the top taskbar called "Auto-Ripple". You can set it to all tracks, markers and regions. If you move something on the timeline, everything to the right of it also gets adjusted. This is what you are looking for. I am guessing that Vegas Movie Studio would also have this feature.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, that did the trick!

thanks again.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you may not need it now, but there is also a "selection tool".... it's one of the other cursor types in the middle top..... when you switch to it, you can click and drag over large areas of the timeline, in multiple tracks, and all it does is select everything that you drug over... and then you switch back to the normal edit tool, and you can drag everything you just selected at once.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks lewis, thats a useful tip!

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm having trouble outputting in AVI on Vegas Movie Studio 9. It estimates a filesize of 1.17 gigs... And then when it renders, it stops 5 minutes in because the file has taken up the 8 GIGS of free space on my external. Even though the source video is smaller than the output. Any tips? :-?

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
what settings are you using for the AVI?
Uncompressed, but it still shouldn't be that much for just the first 5 minutes- the source files together are only about 500 megs!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
robbievaliant said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
what settings are you using for the AVI?
Uncompressed, but it still shouldn't be that much for just the first 5 minutes- the source files together are only about 500 megs!

oh yes, uncompressed AVI is HUGE. HUGE. your source files arent uncompressed if its only 500 MB.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah.... uncompressed AVI is bad.... you need to have some sort of compression on there (Divx, Xvid, etc).

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too have Vegas movie Studio 9 and I just rendered my project as mp4 so I could stream it through my PS3 to spotcheck on my TV rather than watching it on the PC.

anyway, the quality sucks and thats fine but can you give some tips for output settings that dont suck?

I see you mentioned DIVX compression - is that something additional I need to do or is it an output selection in Vegas I just dont see/have?

Basically, how do I get my finished edit out of Vegas the best possible way for AVI and DVD formats.

Thanks

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I dont let Vegas do any of the rendering. I always go straight to DVD format (if I want a smaller format I encode from that render). So, I frameserve the project to CCE and do a multiple pass encode. If I want an AVI from that, I usually use Gordian Knot. However, maybe others will have suggestions for some good settings in Vegas to get decent renders directly.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr,

So if I do that (following your "frameserving OUT of Vegas" tutorial) That will export the whole project to a DVD format?
or just the video?

And what will it give me? Video_TS folder w/ IFO files?

Thanks.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As for audio and video it depends on which encoder you are using. I usually use CCE (the best) for video. It only outputs wav and mpa for audio, so I just send the video. In the end you get a .mpv file (a video elementary stream). I then render the audio only from Sony Vegas (to get an .ac3).

If you are using TMPGEnc to encode, this can export .ac3 audio, so you can send get the audio and video in one fell swoop.

So then you will have 2 elementary streams (video: .mpv or .m2v, and audio: ac3) that are DVD ready. Bring these into your DVD authoring program, and it will mux them (bring them together without re-encoding) during the DVD creation process.

Are you using Sony DVD Architect? If you are, you can name your video and audio elementary streams the same, and Architect will automatically attach the audio when you add the video.

ex:
Alien_resurrected.mpv
Alien_resurrected.ac3

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, that seems simple enough.
I just get confused easily since I am not fluent in the different stages of file conversion yet. But I am getting there!
Thanks again.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I just initiated it and a Frameserver setup window popped up asking me my video output format (RGB24, RGB32, YUY2)
which one?

there I go again asking questions w/o reading... :oops:

I assume this is my answer
1) Click File -> Render As... choose debugmode frameserver (avi) Just choose whatever default option when the window pops up. Give the file a name. This is another signpost .avi to open in whatever converting program

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, that pretty much answers your question. I don't know a whole lot about the different color spaces so I just go with the default setting there.

Top Bottom