• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Doctor Who --- inactive thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1209

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any Doctor Who fans out there?

On Christmas Day, I watched the Christmas episode of Doctor Who - 'The Runaway Bride'.

It was just a fun 60 minutes of sci-fi.

Really enjoyable and I just love Dave Tennant's Doctor. Catherine Tate was a great companion too.

I'm really looking forward to the next season - the trailer for it looked very exciting and action-packed.

I think the BBC did a great job of re-inventing Doctor Who for this generation. And just for good measure, there are still a few iffy production values left in there.

I am a fan of the original series. I have seen some of the episoded from season 1 of the new series, I can't say I like it as much as the original.

I watched the first series on SciFi, it was OK. I hated the Daleks and thought almost everything about them was really cheesy 1950s camp (of course, they COME from the 1960s I know). A few episodes into series 2 (just after the Sophia Myles episode, they only reason I kept watching up to that point) I stopped watching the show. I don't really like the new doctor and never liked the show in general that much. Not my cup of tea. Could have something to do with my American...ness....(though I do like Spaced and some other British stuff)

I am American and I like the new Series (1 & 2) alot.
IMHO the three best Doctors are Tom Baker,Chris Eccleston and David Tennant (sp?) also I did like Paul McGann's Doctor as well.
I like this new run because the stories seem "more real" and have an emotional depth not seen by myself too often in the previous incarnations of the show.
I think Russell T. Davis has done well in reviving this venerable franchise for the new millennium, much better than ST:TNG (although Worf and O'Brien were bitchin' additions 2 ST:DS 9), ST:Voyager, ST:Enterprise did to try to refresh the Star Trek franchise and the craptacular boredomness of the new Battlestar Galactica.
I am looking foreward to the U.S. broadcast of the 2006 Christmas special and the commencement of Series 3 on Sci-Fi and the release of Series 2 on U.S. DVD and I would hope to see Torchwood and the rumoured Sara Jane Smith Series as well.
<Groovin' to Doctorin' the Tardis by The KLF>
SDW2?:>}

I dig the new show, and can't wait for "Season 3" to come out. I grew up on Tom Baker, and love the McGann books and audio stuff, and love Tennant's version of the good Doctor.

Love me some Doctor. ^_^

David Tennant is a fine actor and for sure he brings new audience to the SciFi genre. My daughter started watching Doctor just because of Tennant, *sigh*- Luckily enough he inspired her to a first noticeable attempt of editing, it's on youtube and has the name 'Barty Crouch Jr - Demented but not Forgotten'. I guess she did quite a nice job. It's of course his relation to harry potter which makes him interesting for a younger generation. But as far as I am concerned, that doesn't matter at all, the result counts, I think.
So thanks to Mr Tennant :)

Never really got to watch the earlier series' because my Mum controlled the TV and she hated it.

The new series though I love and my 5yr old does too. A couple of days ago we went to the Dr Who up close exhibition in Manchester it was great.

FaceofBo.jpg

Dalekyru.jpg

CyberLeader.jpg

Auton.jpg

...and all of a sudden, I'm really not looking forward to the next series. :(

If you're in the UK, watch this.

[youtube:3e6esoj4]

[youtube:1luhd2rr]

Then I watched this trailer.

This series is going to be quite inconsistent. I can tell. :| I bet you the worst episodes are RTD-written ones.

Its been steadily going downhill since the end of series 2 :( and having Catherine Tate in there as well is just gonna make it worse i think.

i hated the christmas episode for its terrible dialogue, crappy plot and shitty acting so i cant see there being much hope for the new episodes.

i'l watch the first few but if it doesnt get drastically better i'l be crossing it off my viewing list.

the only positive thing i can say about Dr. Who at the moment is at least its better than Torchwood.

I may skip Saturday's premiere, and probably all the RTD-written episodes, because there have been some real surprises in the last series (Human Nature/Family of Blood is the absolute best episode I've seen so far, fantastic writing, great plot, just great).

after all my 'Who' bashing, I must say that i thoroughly enjoyed tonights episode and if the writing stays this good then i think we may be well and truly back on track!

and at last they've finally worked out that there should be no love interest this time! Hooray 8)

Today's episode was quite excellent, but there's another :-o bloody :-o cliffhanger!
Next episode looks very interesting, I do hope it'll be this series' "Family of Blood"

Best news I've heard all day: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

RTD is stepping down after next years specials and Steven Moffat (writer of 'Empty Child/Doctor Dances', 'Girl in the fireplace' and 'blink') is taking over as Exec producer and head writer, I'm really looking forward to his first series in charge.

with respect to the current series I'm happy that after a pretty boring episode 1-5 followed by the truly terrible 'The doctors daughter' episode 7 'the unicorn and the wasp' was actually really enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming 2 parter written by Steven Moffat which is sure to be the highlight of the series before we descend into another RTD finale which will undoubtedly involve the earth (by which I mean modern day London) getting invaded by an alien race who are miraculously defeated at the last minute by the sonic screwdriver.

I think this will be another series where only half the episode are worthy of repeat viewings.

Im a huge fan of Doctor Who with the new series and i really dont wait series 4 to end it has been a great season so far but series 3 will always be my favorite with Martha Jones i cant wait for Season 5 in 2010 with Steven Moffat as the new writer.

I've often found it odd that so many people seem to have a hate on for RTD... which can only be attributed to people not being comfortable with him being the former writer behind Queer as Folk. His writing this, and every season of Who, has been spot on... and considering the last few attempts to revitalize Who flopped, I doubt even HAVE a Who to discuss without him. Get over it. It's as old and lame an argument as "Truck vs Monkey" with Transformers.

That said, yes... Moffat is a better writer. His episodes this season have shown that he's got a handle on Who's darker aspects. Still, he isn't the master of sweeping story arcs that tie together... which is RTD's talent. If the series wasn't going to movies next year, I'd be afraid that element would be lacking... despite Moffat writing the absolute best two part episode I've seen of any series.

Those who haven't been watching this season are definitely missing out. Catherine Tate is an absolutely brilliant counterweight to David Tennant's Doctor... and quite possibly my favorite companion thusfar.

The upcoming US episodes are by far some of the best ever... as I've been watching the UK ones right as they come out, and they're a few ahead. Those who doubt RTD's writing skills should pay close attention to "Midnight" and "Turn Left", which will be showing in the US next week and the week after.

Akitsu said:
I've often found it odd that so many people seem to have a hate on for RTD... which can only be attributed to people not being comfortable with him being the former writer behind Queer as Folk. His writing this, and every season of Who, has been spot on... and considering the last few attempts to revitalize Who flopped, I doubt even HAVE a Who to discuss without him. Get over it. It's as old and lame an argument as "Truck vs Monkey" with Transformers.

I don't have a massive problem with RTD himself but I just don't think he's a very good sci-fi writer, I have never seen 'queer as folk' so can't possibly judge him on it however I loved 'Casanova', maybe the problem is that he is always writing first and last episodes and other episodes which have a job to do, so he isn't as free to just write a good one off story.

Akitsu said:
That said, yes... Moffat is a better writer. His episodes this season have shown that he's got a handle on Who's darker aspects. Still, he isn't the master of sweeping story arcs that tie together... which is RTD's talent. If the series wasn't going to movies next year, I'd be afraid that element would be lacking... despite Moffat writing the absolute best two part episode I've seen of any series.

To be honest I didn't think Moffat's episodes this year were as good as some of his previous stories, and RTDs writing has been quite good this year but I'm not really sure I consider Dr Who to have a "sweeping story arc" certainly not in the way 'Lost' or 'Battlestar Galactica' does, the Bad wolf thing worked, but the constant un-subtle torchwood references in Series 2 don't really qualify as a ark, I think series 3 could have worked well but was let down by the final episode. However this series has been much more subtle with the ark and it may work out well, but it all hangs on the next 2 episodes which I don't have high hopes for.

Akitsu said:
Those who haven't been watching this season are definitely missing out. Catherine Tate is an absolutely brilliant counterweight to David Tennant's Doctor... and quite possibly my favorite companion thusfar.

I have to agree, Catherine Tate has been much better than I expected, but it's a shame they got rid of Martha after only 1 series as I liked her and her character is completely different now, all in all I haven't had a problem with any of the companions, I know a lot of people dislike Rose but I don't understand why.

Akitsu said:
The upcoming US episodes are by far some of the best ever... as I've been watching the UK ones right as they come out, and they're a few ahead. Those who doubt RTD's writing skills should pay close attention to "Midnight" and "Turn Left", which will be showing in the US next week and the week after.

Yes these 2 episodes really have shown RTD at his best, I just hope that his momentum carries on for the next two weeks.

OMG, SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, OMG

Now what the hell am i suppoosed to do for the next seven damn days :-x :x :evil:

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

:oops:

That is all.

Erm... how about you discover the glory of bittorrent, download the episodes direct from the UK, and watch the episodes a second time when Scifi gets back to showing them? ^_^

Never did like the leisurely way Scifi showed these, but at least you're not so far behind unlike other seasons. ^_^ Why the hell they're doing a 2 week break I have no damn clue. Seems a bit stupid of you ask me. I guess they figure people don't watch TV during holidays.

Speaking of the UK airings... you people have nary a clue what's about to go down. Truly. Epic.

Now get off your lazy duffs and download them episodes! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom