• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star trek: Into darkness fan edit

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After being blown away (personally) by "The Force Awakens", and now being essentially done with my Jurassic World edit (it's now awaiting approval, but if you want to check it out for yourself I'll gladly PM a link), I decided to revisit a good but far from great JJ film, "Star Trek- into reference" I mean "darkness." 

Some obvious changes are a color correction to remove the teal, and try to make look closer to the '09 predecessor. Remove the horrible characterization of Uhura and her nagging Spock over feelings (it's resolved pretty quickly any way), get rid of the whole "Dr. Marcus in a bikini is sexy" and also explain where she got that accent (it's a 20 second deleted scene). Of course, many other small trims to pacing will be made, and maybe get rid of Khan and keep John Harrison? Thoughts?

Is this in the works?

Not yet, I wanted to get as much feedback and suggestions as I could before I jumped into editing anything, plus this will also serve as whether or not I should continue the project

I think it's possible to remove all references of the main villain being "Kahn". You could strip away most of his origin story and just make him into an actually new villain.

Smithers said:
I think it's possible to remove all references of the main villain being "Kahn". You could strip away most of his origin story and just make him into an actually new villain.

That's what I was thinking myself. I'll start working on some test edits with that soon.

Sounds cool! I'll be checking this out

yes, too red. somewhere in the middle would be best.

too red but you have the right idea, the inside of the ship is supposed to be white

And everything outside could have a dialed back coloring similar to the screencap test I did, yea that sounds right.

Thanks! All I really did was reduce the shadow saturation (for the enterprise only), add a tint that made the whites white and shadows black, recreate the flesh tones and everything else individually then brighten it up a bit.

asterixsmeagol said:
Yes, please remove him being Khan!

I'm exporting a test clip trying to remove all reference to him being Khan right now actually.

There's some weird reflection from the cut at 0:59 and at 1:10 Kirk still says to move Khan but other than that it looks good.

asterixsmeagol said:
There's some weird reflection from the cut at 0:59 and at 1:10 Kirk still says to move Khan but other than that it looks good.

Yea haha, I forgot about that line. And the reflection is from Khan, where I tried to crop him out since the cut has him sitting to suddenly standing up, but thanks for the feedback I'll work on another test soon.

Looks pretty good! I'd like to see how you handle Kirk's death

I'm someone who enjoyed STID more than most people seemed to, but there are definitely some things that could use some fixing. Consider me very interested in this edit.

Yes, get rid of the Khan references if you can. Dub in the characters saying "Harrison" wherever you can. If the lip sync doesn't match up, see if you can cut away to another character listening, then cut back to the speaking character. 

Also, please get rid of the Old Spock scene, which is by far the worst scene in the movie, IMO, for several reasons:

1) "I have decided not to interfere with the course of events by telling you about the future. However, having said that, let me now tell you everything without any further prodding."

2) Old Spock saying that Khan is the worst villain they've ever faced seems like a bit of nonsense to me. The filmmakers were trying to fashion Khan into Star Trek's version of Darth Vader, Voldemort, or the Joker. But guess what? Star Trek doesn't have a villain like that because it doesn't need to. Not every franchise has to be exactly the same.

3) Having gotten the information from Old Spock, Young Spock promptly does ... exactly nothing with the information. Take out the scene, and the rest of the movie plays out completely the same way -- as good a reason as any for its deletion. If the filmmakers had Old Spock give the information to Kirk -- if Kirk knew that originally, Khan killed Spock, so Kirk chose to sacrifice himself in his place -- the Kirk-death scene would have been loaded with dramatic irony and emotional resonance. But that's not what happened.

Anyway, are you thinking about using an alternate subtitle for your edit? If I could just throw one out there, I think The Seeds of Wrath would be cool, since the story is a mashup of "Space Seed" and "Wrath of Khan" (even though we want to remove the direct reference). And within the context of the story, the title would still make sense: We learn about the events that lead to Harrison's wrath. Anyhow, it's just a thought.

Whatever the case, I look forward to learning more about this!

Back
Top Bottom