If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

the lost reviews and comments are found
By chance I discovered the internet archive and they happen to have saved fanedit.org before the switch to vbulletin, which unfortunately meant the loss of at least 100s of reviews for fanedits.

The last update containing probably the most of the lost reviews is from October 9th 2010.

I am not sure, if I am allowed to post a link, so I won't do it. But a search for the internet archive and there a search for fanedit.org will get you there. The site is rather slow and to find the reviews, when not every link is working is a bit tricky. What can be accessed are the fanedits from the frontpage and then the little grey categories at the end of each fanedit post right before the reviews

So here is an example of a review not on the current ifdb:
Fanedit: Biohazard by Aztek

Review by Radi0n — November 7, 2010 @ 12:11 PM:
**OVERVIEW**
A Resident Evil fanedit combining both Apocalypse and Extinction.
First thing that came to my mind was the sheer difference in both stories, mainly the overall setting and mood.
Having previously seen Aztek’s Silent Hill edit, my expectations were higher than ever, since I love the original films myself.
————————————-
TECHNICAL ASPECTS
————————————-
VIDEO:
Absolutely brilliant. One or two cuts at the very end I would have tried to deal differently with, but overall, the edit was superb throughout.

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars

AUDIO:
Nothing out of order, really couldn’t pick up anything. If others can, they’re more than welcome to point them out.

Overall:
5 out of 5 stars

PRESENTATION:
The menu is amazing in both its simplicity and effectiveness.
The music tidbits chosen are wonderful. The Killswitch Engage excerpt (my favourite song on the album) is trimmed perfectly, and brought a smile to my face.
Although no chapter index is present, it doesn’t bother me at all. I never watch a film if I can’t sit it through.

Overall:
5 out of 5 stars

IMPROVEMENT OVER THE ORIGINAL:
An improvement on one hand, losing all the clutter, one-line-macho bullshit, and excessive dialogue,
whilst a somewhat different take on the other, trying to clarify more by rearranging scenes.
Whichever way you look at it, it’s still an improvement. And since it improves on TWO films rather than one, there’s all the more merit.

Overall:
5 out of 5 stars
————————————————–
FINAL SCORE: 5 out of 5 stars
There’s really no discussing this score. The one or two video/audio fade-outs that were noticeable, never detracted from the story, nor from the mood or viewing pleasure. The only reason you’d notice it is because you know it’s there. Overall, it’s 150min of Resident Evil FUN!
————————————————–
Adds up to a fanedit score of:
10 out of 10 stars

As you can probably see, this is worth being saved and remembered. I always considered the reviews, the participation of the community to be a great treasure of FE. 
So, maybe someone will go through the fanedits and add what is lost. I for one would appreciate it a lot, since great members spent a lot of time writing them and many people enjoyed reading them.
I am a bit disappointed that my history on fanedit.org is nowhere mentioned anymore. It was 5 years of my life.
Wow, nostalgia trip, seeing FE.org like it was when I first discovered it...

Thanks for this.
I remember struggling to make sure that every speck of the old site was transferred, because at my core I'm a preservationist. Whether vBulletin is responsible for any lost reviews is debatable, and frankly moot at this point. We're working in WordPress now, and have had to be exceedingly diligent to ensure everything is restored, as WordPress has (temporarily) lost many important parts of the site. In the updating of the site we've reloaded the entire forum many times, to restore missing areas. I know we did this last time, I know we tried to preserve everything, and all I can say is that as with anything in life, shit happens. 

Thanks for pointing out the lost reviews, and of course we will reinstate any that have been found to be lost, just as soon as we get the current site stable.
You're an adult. Just cope.
Please note that some users may have updated their reviews after that update. For example, I wrote a few new and improved reviews after the switch, and would hate to see my old versions restored.
(04-08-2016, 08:55 AM)reave Wrote: at my core I'm a preservationist.

I thought your core was a procrastinatorist?
(04-08-2016, 10:14 AM)hbenthow Wrote: Please note that some users may have updated their reviews after that update. For example, I wrote a few new and improved reviews after the switch, and would hate to see my old versions restored.

We obviously would not restore any reviews that were already on IFDb.
If you need any help or have a good idea about collecting these reviews, me and probably others would be very willing to contribute by finding and copy/pasting the lost ones, so all the admin and mods would have to do is post them. It's quite a lot of stuff.
I am a bit disappointed that my history on fanedit.org is nowhere mentioned anymore. It was 5 years of my life.
(04-08-2016, 11:16 AM)boon23 Wrote: If you need any help or have a good idea about collecting these reviews, me and probably others would be very willing to contribute by finding and copy/pasting the lost ones, so all the admin and mods would have to do is post them. It's quite a lot of stuff.
Sounds good. Knock yourself out.
You're an adult. Just cope.
ok. It will be slow, but ongoing (until finished). My idea is to collect as pure text. I will start at the beginning of true fanedits as listed on the old fanedit.org, compare with the existing ones and report back, when I have about 50. Anyone willing to join in, please pm me.
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the "lost" reviews were actually dropped because we discovered they were written using sock accounts. Since everything from your old WP site was entered into the review system manually nothing was left out without reason. It's been six years, so I could be wrong. Perhaps L8wrtr can chime in? His memory might be better than mine.