• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman - Dluppers Fan Edit

Dluppers

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS FAN EDIT
BatmanIntro.jpg

Hi everyone , i've only recently discovered this awesome site and already watched a few good movies , and i wanted to test myself and see if i could do my own fan edit so here it is.

What better time than now to do a batman and batman returns edit, with all the hype for the dark knight, i figured people would be interested in anything and everything batman.

I set out to splice batman and batman returns into one unique film,where both films happen at the same time so we flow back and forth between the movies to form a very different film yet still having a plot and making sense.its hard to explain but i think it works. there was a lot of scenes and characters i didn't like in both films but the main problem was with Vicky vale in batman, i decided to remove as much of her as possible without changing the plot too much, in this edit she no longer has any kind of relationship with Bruce Wayne/batman and never finds out his identity,therefore never goes to the bat cave , which bothered me the most.i wanted the main love interest to be Catwoman so this is why i did this.
i also removed a bit of the penguin back story where he finds out his real name and info about his parents and some scenes revolving around him becoming mayor .
There are many more cuts , mainly small cuts to scenes to make it flow better.

As this is my first fan edit , i would welcome any feedback for improvements as i see this a learning experience and i definitely want to improve for my next edit(if there is one,depends if people like this).

I had some problems with sync when i tried to make a DVD for this, so in the end i decided to release it in a smaller format first and if people want a DVD version i'll try and get one done.but for now i have a Mkv file.

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

Cool! I actually thought of doing this exact same idea a while ago, but immediately ruled it out since I realized Returns takes place in the winter and the first one does not. So, how did you get around the fact that there's snow everywhere?

In any case, I'll have to check this out, because I think it could actually work.

InfoDroid said:
Cool! I actually thought of doing this exact same idea a while ago, but immediately ruled it out since I realized Returns takes place in the winter and the first one does not. So, how did you get around the fact that there's snow everywhere?

In any case, I'll have to check this out, because I think it could actually work.

yeah the snow was a bit of a problem but there are a few scenes where snow isn't really noticeable , so these worked just fine,i cut a lot of the outdoor scenes from batman to make them fit better.
it would be great if you could watch it and give feedback, this is my first edit after all.

Definitely! As soon as a torrent is released. I don't do Rapidshare. ;)

I finished watching it, and I have a review:

After the release of the Christopher Nolan series, I found myself desiring a darker edit of the Tim Burton era films, and would say I found it.

Video Quality:
Not to much difference from the SE DVD, with no hard cuts to speak of, and only a little decompression evidence.
4 out 5

Audio Quality:
Again, no hard cuts or quality differences. I really liked the audio fades between the scenes to make the edits feel less "edited".
4 out of 5

The Film:
With combining the two films together, I liked how Dluppers weaved through the scenes of each film, not just stapling the films to make them fit. With all the excess removed, I feel that what's left is a tight, quite Burton-esque edit, while still maintaining that Nolan darkness I love. But there is one major flaw, Why the hell are the credits in splitscreen! Wouldn't it be better if you simply showed one set of credits after the other, a la Legends of Crystal Lake? Apart from that there are no severe flaws, but a few things that should be ironed out if there is a DVD release.
4 out of 5

Overall, this is a good edit, and it meets my standards of approval. Good job, now get yourself a cookie.

Grievous Angel Draven said:
I finished watching it, and I have a review:

After the release of the Christopher Nolan series, I found myself desiring a darker edit of the Tim Burton era films, and would say I found it.

Video Quality:
Not to much difference from the SE DVD, with no hard cuts to speak of, and only a little decompression evidence.
4 out 5

Audio Quality:
Again, no hard cuts or quality differences. I really liked the audio fades between the scenes to make the edits feel less "edited".
4 out of 5

The Film:
With combining the two films together, I liked how Dluppers weaved through the scenes of each film, not just stapling the films to make them fit. With all the excess removed, I feel that what's left is a tight, quite Burton-esque edit, while still maintaining that Nolan darkness I love. But there is one major flaw, Why the hell are the credits in splitscreen! Wouldn't it be better if you simply showed one set of credits after the other, a la Legends of Crystal Lake? Apart from that there are no severe flaws, but a few things that should be ironed out if there is a DVD release.
4 out of 5

Overall, this is a good edit, and it meets my standards of approval. Good job, now get yourself a cookie.

thanks for watching it, and thanks for the criticism, i did wonder how to do the end credit and i suppose i got a little lazy when it came to them, i decided to do them split screen to shorten the length of the movie, but i guess it didn't quite work, but i'm glad you thought the overall film was good, after my brother watched it and said it was shit i was a little worried.

I'll bet people told Alexander Graham Bell that the telephone was a shit idea too.

stomachworm said:
I'll bet people told Alexander Graham Bell that the telephone was a shit idea too.

hehe, indeed :smile:

Dluppers said:
i did wonder how to do the end credit and i suppose i got a little lazy when it came to them, i decided to do them split screen to shorten the length of the movie, but i guess it didn't quite work

if you do recut the credits, creating custom credits is always quite nice. I am doing this with a current edit, as it featured 3 different sources. In your case, there is a possibility that some of the crew is the same, so you wouldnt have to double everything, but credits specific to your edit would make it special.

I'll be damned if I can convert this to anything I can watch on my DVD player. My neck and back are too lousy to sit here and watch a movie via my computer screen :( .

jamiemark said:
I'll be damned if I can convert this to anything I can watch on my DVD player. My neck and back are too lousy to sit here and watch a movie via my computer screen :( .

sorry about that,the reason i did a mkv file was because i wasn't sure people would want to watch this as it is my first fan edit, if enough people are interested i might do a dvd but it could take some time.
i sometimes forget people don't like watching films on their computer as mine is hooked up to my 32'' lcd,so its not really a problem, you could try using convertxtodvd it works pretty good with mkv files

I'll give it a shot if I can find a non-trial version.

As I now officially have Batman fever I am downloading this and will tell what I think when I'm done.

I have not watched the originals for a long time so I should see this with fresh eyes, all I can really remember is that wonderful incarnation of Cat Woman.

i have just finished a new end credit sequence,i'm glad i was told it was shit, i think the new credits are alot better,
i am going to work on a dvd version this weekend, nothing fancy, hopefully i'll have it uploaded by next monday.
if anyone would like to make dvd cover art for this film that would be great,i have no skill when it comes to things like that.

here is my little take on cover art for this fanedit:
preview_batman_dluppers_by_boon23.png

I'm lovin' the front cover, Boon.

Where'd you find that artwork?

the front is a US poster art. Pretty rare, but when I found it I could not resist.
The back is a montage I created from another poster art for Batman Returns and a still from Batman showing the Joker.
And where I found this... is a well to be kept secret for a cover artist. ;-)

Over all there is a lot of potential here and Dluppers has done a very commendable job so far but it could be greatly improved with some savage and imaginative cutting.

First the length could be drastically cut with much of the opening exposition removed. It is surprising how many of these expository scenes are just not necessary (as the villains have very basic motives) and they only hinder the pace of this edit. There are also very long periods without Batman and he was missed.

The opening pre-credit sequence of Penguins Parents is totally unnecessary as Penguin explains on a few occasions his background, maybe the prologue sequence could be the fate of Batman's parents as that is the only real flashback during this FanEdit.

Penguin's attempt to become Major of Gotham could be exorcised from the FanEdit (as his name change is not explained) so that his motivation is just plain hatred for Batman. One shot that is crying out to be cut is Bruce Wayne scratching on the CD as he reveals Penguins true sentiments.

The continuity problems created by the snow and Batman's costume are not a problem at all.

The love affair with Cat-Woman works very well but they talk of Vickie in the past tense as if she has died (during the sofa long fire scene) which sounds weird when she is part of this cut.

I noticed a few hard audio cuts and 1 hard video cut that came when one of Penguin's henchman fires a machine gun from a musical Box. At one moment he is firing and next he has shifted position dramatically to deliver a line.

I would also like to see the final scene with Cat Woman re-edited so that Batman does not reveal his identity. I am sure using other close ups and cutting some dialogue this could be done quite easily.

The end of this cut should be the death of the Joker, that is, if the pre-credit sequence is changed to Bruce's parents getting shot.

I also think the opening credits could be improved and the end credits need to be made from scratch maybe using images from Batman comics. The Studio Logo should come at the very beginning and not after the prologue.

Still a good FanEdit but just far too long.

Over all there is a lot of potential here and Dluppers has done a very commendable job so far but it could be greatly improved with some savage and imaginative cutting.

First the length could be drastically cut with much of the opening exposition removed. It is surprising how many of these expository scenes are just not necessary (as the villains have very basic motives) and they only hinder the pace of this edit. There are also very long periods without Batman and he was missed.

i think the length is reasonable , its about the same length as the dark knight,I'll see what can be cut

The opening pre-credit sequence of Penguins Parents is totally unnecessary as Penguin explains on a few occasions his background, maybe the prologue sequence could be the fate of Batman's parents as that is the only real flashback during this FanEdit.

i was considering moving Bruce's parents death to the start of the film,in the end i decided not to as i preferred the penguins , but I'll try it to see if its better

The love affair with Cat-Woman works very well but they talk of Vickie in the past tense as if she has died (during the sofa long fire scene) which sounds weird when she is part of this cut.

i was aware of the Vicky reference but i really liked the scene and didn't see how to remove the reference without ruining it,i'll tinker with it to see what i can do

I noticed a few hard audio cuts and 1 hard video cut that came when one of Penguin's henchman fires a machine gun from a musical Box. At one moment he is firing and next he has shifted position dramatically to deliver a line.

this cut was the worst of the film and gave me the most trouble,i just couldn't figure out how to make it work as the scene before was of commissioner Gordon calling for the bat signal,in this edit the bat signal hadn't been introduced yet,i actually moved it to later on in the film,I'm gonna play around with it today to try to sort something out

I would also like to see the final scene with Cat Woman re-edited so that Batman does not reveal his identity. I am sure using other close ups and cutting some dialogue this could be done quite easily.

sorry I'm definitely not changing this,its one of my favorite scenes.

The end of this cut should be the death of the Joker, that is, if the pre-credit sequence is changed to Bruce's parents getting shot.

i'll play around with it to see if i prefer it this way

I also think the opening credits could be improved and the end credits need to be made from scratch maybe using images from Batman comics. The Studio Logo should come at the very beginning and not after the prologue.

yeah the end credits were sloppy,sorry. i made some new ones last night , I'll look into the opening credits to see what can be done but i liked them the way they are,but I'll play with it.

overall thanks for the feedback,i did this fanedit as a experiment and as a learning experience so all the feedback and input is greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom