• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

American Crime Story

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

I'm surprised nobody is talking about this show. So far we're 5 episodes deep and I think it's absolutely brilliant. The only current show that I consider "Must Watch TV".

Based on the book "The Run of His Life: The People v. O. J. Simpson" by Jeffrey Toobin and developed for television by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, the screenwriters of "Ed Wood", "The People vs. Larry Flynt" and "Man on the Moon". Executive Produced by Ryan Murphy, this show will follow the same format as Murphy's "American Horror Story". Each season will be a separate self-contained story.

The cast includes Cuba Gooding Jr. as OJ Simpsons, John Travolta as Robert Shapiro, Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran, Nathan Lane as F. Lee Bailey, David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian, Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clarke, among others. Seriously, the acting is so effing spectacular in this show.

I can't recommend this show enough.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes!!! There's not a ton of AHS love so I wasn't totally surprised. I love this show so much. Almost all the actors are killing it. Particularly blown away by Vance, Paulson and Schwimmer but it's seriously a murderer's row of a cast.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait, this is some kind of AHS thing but with crime? I thought it was an OJ miniseries....

Also, I'm still on S1 of AHS - I watch tv series sllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

testingfazed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It really does an amazing job of evoking that time period. I remember those days really clearly and my reactions to the crime and the trial. Seeing it now with all these great portrayals is like an acid flashback. It's been really brilliant thus far and churns my stomach at times. That scene with the Goldmans and Marcia Clark was heart-wrenching.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Wait, this is some kind of AHS thing but with crime? I thought it was an OJ miniseries....

Same showrunner and creator as AHS and same anthology conceit. But don't let that put you off; I know a few staunch Ryan Murphy haters who still really like the show. It explores much different themes in a very different, more grounded way.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It didn't put me off, I'm enjoying S1 of AHS. I just had no idea.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The OJ show finished its run last night and I just want to reiterate how great this was. I loved it so much actually that I wouldn't even want to fathom the idea of this being fanedited into movie-length. Every moment is essential and not a single shot is a waste of time. A great example of why this would be harmed with a fanedit is Episode 8 (no spoilers). That episode focuses almost exclusively on the jury and what they went through during the trial. The jury is a vital component to the trial and seeing things from their perspective was a smart move. 

All in all, two thumbs way up, 10/10, A+, perfection 5/7.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I couldn't agree more with all of this. The show is basically a master class in character motivations. Everyone has them, they are clear and boy do they clash. To make a fresh, extremely socially relevant drama out of a story in which everybody knows the main plot points is incredibly hard to do. It really does a good job painting how complex all these social climates are. I'm also very grateful that FX allowed them to use the language that they did. Dancing around use of the N word would have made the Fuhrman stuff less powerful, as well as some of the other court scenes. They used it to great effect. The Fuhrman stuff was extremely uncomfortable to hear, which had a huge impact on how it affected the jury.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, like, do the threads I make just die a short death until I stumble upon it again a yearish or so later?

American Crime Story: The Death of Gianni Versace

I finished up season 2 last night of this awesome saucesome show. It took me a bit to get into this storyline but once things were rolling steadily I was hooked, I was injecting this show straight into my veins like a savage yo. It was brilliant because it utilized a backwards, shifting timeline narrative throughout the year so we can see the downward spiral in reverse. Highly recommend checking this sucker out.

Oh, I also rewatched the OJ trial episodes concurrently with the new stuff. Still holds up as solid ass television.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's nice to hear such a positive review, maybe I will check out S02. Having almost no interest in the real life crime and the last two seasons of AHS being pretty terrible made me never give this one a shot. I hadn't heard anything bad or good, really, so nice to hear a glowing recommendation.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm five episodes in to season 2 as it started later here in the uk. The OJ season was superb easily one of the best TV seasons in recent memory. I was dubious as to whether to bother being as the case was so well documented I felt it would hold little in the way of surprises, riveting and fascinating TV.  

The second season has been pretty stellar too, I'm far less familiar with the events this time so I've really enjoyed not knowing what happens next or first as the case maybe :D . The time jumps back and forth work really well, top tier TV! :)

Very curious to see what season 3 will be about too as apparently its related to hurricane Katrina

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The thing I liked most about S1 was that it started the second after the crime and never once (IIRC) flashbacked to anything, it presented the evidence in "real time" as it happened and you made up your mind along with the characters. Flashbacks would have been cheating. So I was put off by S2 before it even aired because I correctly anticipated that it could not be structured in the same genius way due to the particulars of the case. I'll give it a go though, as the reviews are strong (not least in this thread).

Top Bottom