• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Show Thyshelf!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plastic is not sexy. Movies in plastic cases, however, are very sexy.

I always love seeing other people's collections and displays when I go to their houses and what is the Internet if not a big virtual house? Anyway, please share your cool stuff and displays. I'll show you mine first (a philosophy that was problematic in elementary school):

FE shelf upstairs:

Blu-ray shelf upstairs:

Downstairs I've got a sideways bookcase (that's how you make it useful even after the back has busted).

FEs, Soccer Stuff and more Blu-rays downstairs:

TV shows, DVDs and a couple books (I keep the ones I'm actively reading here for some reason that made sense to me a long time ago):

Some posters:

and finally, some toys:

I'm really bad at taking pictures so please excuse that. There's more but that's all that my wife will let me display. :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I demand that "Scream - The Giallo Cut" be put in the upstairs shelf!

Oh and sweet collection bro.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I demand that "Scream - The Giallo Cut" be put in the upstairs shelf!

Oh and sweet collection bro.

Haha I know you are joking (maybe) but it is not so simple, my friend. There's a reason why some stuff is in alphabetical order and some isn't. Upstairs from left to right is the BDs (I rip all HD edits to BDs cuz I like physical media) I want to watch, then what I've seen in alpha order. Then the four DVDs I intend to watch next, then the best of in alpha order. Downstairs is the same situation. Yours is in that stack because I've yet to watch it. Once I do, perhaps it will make the cut. :)

Also, I know I've got a problem. I download edits and buy blu-rays at a rate that exceeds my time to watch stuff. But it's a good problem to have. And I really like the idea behind that edit so I definitely will get to it. And then we'll see where it ends up!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was half-joking. But once you do watch it, you'll probably think it would make a nice double feature with your Insidious 2 edit.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
Plastic is not sexy.

Tell that to Bryan Ferry...

I'm well jealous of the Grindhouse poster.

Is The Wire Blu-Ray set good? I was disapointed that it was cropped to 16:9, but I've heard reports that it's quite well done.

The Man-U collection does seriously bring your judgement in to question though :p.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
suggestion for thread rename:
Show Thyshelf!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Tell that to Bryan Ferry...

I'm well jealous of the Grindhouse poster.

Is The Wire Blu-Ray set good? I was disapointed that it was cropped to 16:9, but I've heard reports that it's quite well done.

The Man-U collection does seriously bring your judgement in to question though :p.

That song was really interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially the surprisingly soulful guitar work).

I've only watched the first season of the Wire on BD but so far...really good. It appears to have very carefully cropped so I haven't felt like I'm missing much at all (more than offset by the show being in glorious HD).

As far as United go, if it makes you feel any better

1) I have a good reason for becoming a supporter, not just because they were winning a lot. My best friend (who got me into the beautiful game) is a huge United supporter because his HS soccer coach (who he became an assistant to) was a born and bred Mancunian. Even with all that, I like to argue with my friends so when I sat down to watch my first game in full I said I would support the other team (I was kind of a contrarian dick when I was younger). Which was Chelsea. And when I watched my first game (United-Chelsea), Chelsea were a bunch of defensive thugs and United was in glorious attacking mode (sigh, those were the days) and I fell in love. My contrarian stance didn't make it past halftime.
2) You don't abandon those you love, and I am as big of a fan now in the lean times (I know, I know, Newcastle supporters would laugh at calling being in fifth place hard times, but such is mango.
3) I am in love with the history of the club, not just the recent winning ways. I'm enough of a supporter to CRINGE when I read "Man U." I assume if you're giving me stick for supporting them you probably know the history behind that term. Or maybe not, or else you might not say it.
4) I literally cried during the 2008 Champions League final on the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster. So regardless of how or why someone comes to support a team, if you truly embody the spirit and love them, I respect that.
5) There's not really a fifth thing, but I just wanted to say I'm obviously defensive about this because I get the BS head nod and wank motion for being another bandwagon Yank supporting United, so I've heard that a lot. Sorry for replying with an essay to your one sentence ribbing!

ssj said:
suggestion for thread rename:
Show Thyshelf!

DONE! Fantastic idea. Love it.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like seeing covers I made sitting on someone else's shelf :) makes me feel happy I wasted the time making them for more than just myself

I have that Grindhouse poster too. It's one of my favorites and has been hanging on my wall since 2007. I also have an original 1977 Star Wars one sheet on my bedroom wall

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Wire HD was not totally cropped. The show was framed for 4:3 but shot in 16:9. So in most cases the different AR is actually just expanding the frame (with visual effects adjustments to remove equipment when necessary). The only times cropping was done was for artistic purposes.

Here's an article by David Simon on the process: http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
The Wire HD was not totally cropped. The show was framed for 4:3 but shot in 16:9. So in most cases the different AR is actually just expanding the frame (with visual effects adjustments to remove equipment when necessary). The only times cropping was done was for artistic purposes.

Here's an article by David Simon on the process: http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

That was a great read and very interesting. It's clear a lot of effort went into not only not losing anything in the transfer but thought given to the compositions to actually gain something from it (where possible). Probably why it looks so damn good.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks man, My blu-ray collection is in the silver boxes on the black shelves
I have a problem with space so I'll keep them in the boxes in plastic sleeves
Under that there are some dvd's and about 40/50 blu-ray's in the original covers.
In the boxes i have about 800 blu-rays, the original covers are in maps.
I have a collection of horror dolls 1:1 scale of Leatherface , Michel Meyers, Pinhead, Freddy Kreuger, The Face Hugger, The Chestburster a Predator and a Alien pile statue (collector's edition) The last four are on the photo's
It's like a horror museum;-)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the interest of hopefully sparking some more action in this thread (or maybe Maniac and I are the only ones stuck in the 90s displaying physical media) I thought I'd share my re-orged collection. I have converted every edit I have that's in HD to a blu-ray case with cover. Those with sharp eyes will spot a lot of nifty custom covers (some by me, a lot by people way more talented than me) and maybe a mysterious Aladdin edit...

Upstairs:

Stuff on top is either mine or stuff I haven't watched yet

Show thyshelf!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
based on a quick skim, the cases seem to be in alphabetical order. you'ze a tidy dude!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
based on a quick skim, the cases seem to be in alphabetical order. you'ze a tidy dude!

What's weird is I'm generally slovenly but insanely tidy about media. I can lovingly remember retitling every album on my iTunes so it would start with the artist and the year. Then I could scroll through by album and it would be the artists in alpha order and their discography in order. Those were the days.

But more importantly, look at which edit is 2nd in queue for me to watch!

P.S. If you want that blu-ray version of your cover, let me know. Then again, I might be the only person who even burns everything to disc, let alone is weird enough to care about BD cases for HD stuff.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
aweshum, cauliflower ninja!

it was totally slackerly of me to make only a DVD cover for my last undertaking, especially since it's an HD-only release. (was hoping nobody would notice!) though i don't print out covers, i'd be more than grateful if you'd share your blu-ray cover, please & thank you!

i do feel bad that printing my cover would require a good deal of ink, pointed out recently in another thread. on the other hand, we all know that fanediting is a hobby that requires grit & sacrifice. :D

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is my shelf:

I do the no physical media thing. :)
My shelf is all-digital (kodi).
It's been wonderfully liberating. ;-)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Super nice, cuddlyninja! I wish I had something that impressive to show off.

thecuddlyninja said:
I can lovingly remember retitling every album on my iTunes so it would start with the artist and the year. Then I could scroll through by album and it would be the artists in alpha order and their discography in order. Those were the days.

Yeah, I loved doing that too. The latest update to iTunes makes it impossible to retitle things, though. Why on earth did anyone at Apple think that this feature was worth removing? I've pretty much stopped using iTunes because of this stupid change.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Super nice, cuddlyninja! I wish I had something that impressive to show off.

Yeah, I loved doing that too. The latest update to iTunes makes it impossible to retitle things, though. Why on earth did anyone at Apple think that this feature was worth removing? I've pretty much stopped using iTunes because of this stupid change.

Is that true?? I rename albums still but I only use my phone for music and keep most of my stuff in Google music these days.

Top Bottom