• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: Star Wars Clone Wars: Episode III - Children of the Force:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As with previous reviews this is so far the best of Smudgers Clone Wars edits.The video and audio editing are flawless, and it is incredibly enjoyable.The only reason why I rate this slightly lower than a perfect score is because of the overarching narrative. Yes, the story flows perfectly fine. Yes, I understand that it is difficult if not impossible to create a movie story from a TV show. And yes, I still found it enjoyable. However, in reviewing this film I find there to be a lack of an overall plot, the first half is the Ryloth arc, and the second half is the Bane Holocron arc, but the movie itself doesn't have an overarching goal or theme.To express my point I recognise Smudgers two previous films. Army of the Republic was very much themed around the army of the republic (obviously) as it started and ended with the same group of clone troopers brought together as the story progressed (Fives and Echo on Kamino, and Rex with Anakin on Chrisophsis. Both meet up in the climax). With A New Threat it was focused on introducing new threats to the republic such as; the malevolence and Grievous' growing strength, boba's crew, and a betrayed guard at the start(although this did make the movie feel too diverse with villains).However, with Children of the Force an overall theme is lost and the movie becomes very much copy and paste of two or three episode arcs. By the end of the movie with the Children Rescue climax I felt as though the entire Ryloth first half was pointless as it had nothing to do with the ultimate plot and climax, instead it meerly served as filler to the time period of this movie and felt as though the movie needed a battle and a beginning so it was put in.I know I am looking at this way too in depth and am being really critical, but I still give it a 10/10 enjoyment. I only bring this up as one of Smudger's intentions is to create a classical Star Wars structure which I feel is especially lacking from this movie. Ultimately I hope this issue is addressed with future edits as I am really enjoying these movies. Unfortunately right now it feels very much like a copy paste work of different and unlinked stories with fancy editing to tie them together.If you haven't seen the clone wars TV series, or are looking at rewatching them, these edits are amazing and are an excellent alternative to the childrens show.Additional. I don't know if its because Smudger is trying to fill in as much 'no kiddy' parts of the show he can into these movies, but it does feel a little long and as almost every scene is some kind of action sequence it can feel tiring. For example, I liked how the hostage rescue was cleverly edited into the holocron heist, but it seems unecessary as it didn't contribute towards the heist and seemed to only serve as extra Bane time (although I am all for developing Anakin and Padmes relationship which I consider to be important).Overall, 9.8/10. Can't wait for the next one!

More...

Top Bottom