• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Wonder Woman

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First footage from the upcoming movie.....

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hate that trend of bringing back the lightning to a bare minimum. What the F... with that? (plus it's not helping the 3D).
In few years directors will just shut all the lights on set so we will at last watch movies the way it was always meant to be: a big black rectangle.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ManicGuy1989 said:
Is it just me or do some of the stunts look a bit.. off? :-?

It looks like an episode of Game of Thrones. Which is odd, since they fired Michelle MacLaren, who directed some Game of Thrones episodes. This is very telling to me, I think it will be very much like GoT and the original director wanted to make it different from that, like she doesn't want to be known for just dark period piece fantasy drama, but WB doesn't want it to be too different from their plan, so they hired another director who doesn't mind because for her it won't be the same old thing, and she doesn't feel like she's being typecast as a director for "that kind" of filming. Just a guess based on a first look at footage, and assuming the footage we're being shown wasn't just filmed as a preview, ie it will be in the film.

Very interesting.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
so they hired another director who doesn't mind because for her it won't be the same old thing, and she doesn't feel like she's being typecast as a director for "that kind" of filming.

I hadn't really considered that as a reason for their parting but it makes logical sense.

It would be a shame for her to be locked into such a small prism, though apparently this industry is more guilty of that kind of thinking than most. She has done some of the most brilliant Breaking Bad episodes of all time in my opinion and is doing more diverse things like Leftovers and Walking Dead recently.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks awful! I hate the color grading during the action scenes (looks so dull), I hate the costume and I'm not too keen on Gal Gabot's voice (maybe it will be different in the final film). If you want a good live-action Wonder Woman, go watch the Lynda Carter series. It's very colorful, faithful to the comics and watchable!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like this movie was produced by Dean Learner.

tumblr_m71outxfQk1qb3y5eo1_r1_500.gif

MiniMetroid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sometimes Slo-Mo is a nice gimmick, but in 95% of nowadays movies?! :yawn:
Not much actual footage, though.
If the trailers and critics are gonna be good, I'll check it out.

Any rumours about a Lynda Carter cameo, yet? :D

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I hate the costume

The costume is magnificent. I 100% give you everything else, but the costume looks wonderful on screen.

I really am sick of the film grading of modern films. I don't mind a hint of a color, but throwing it to 11 and and just turning out every bit of light as mentioned by others just looks ridiculous.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah the costume's awesome. It's like Xena, which was a perfect template for how to do it well in love action.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going off on a tangent here, but I can't help but find it weird that the Internet seems to have collectively decided that this movie will suck because Michelle MacLaren got fired, despite the fact that Patty Jenkins has a lot more (and more interesting) actual moviemaking experience. While MacLaren has directed several great episodes of Breaking Bad and some Game of Thrones, she was working in Vince Gilligan's established look (and in GoT in Tim van Patten and Brian Kirk's look under the guidance of Benioff and Weiss). Frankly, she has no experience in directing a standalone product apart from the quite terrible straight-to-video movie Population 436, starring the wonderful actor Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit fame. Creating the look of a universe is something else entirely from being a work for hire director working in an established style.

Jenkins, on the other hand, not only directed the award-winning Monster (2003), but also two high-profile TV pilots (The Killing and Betrayal) where she set the visual style for the entire shows. The Killing pilot, in particular, set the bar high for the visuals.

tl;dr - I have no doubt that Wonder Woman will suck, but in all likelihood it will suck because of script issues and inevitable producer meddling and not because of its talented director.

EDIT: Just noticed that MacLaren will direct the pilot of The Deuce, David Simon's new HBO show. But that happened after she was fired, so it doesn't count in this case.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't get enough of the Wonder Woman theme (aka 'Is She With You?').

So badass! Rewatching BVS:Extended, the moment where Batman is suddenly saved from Doomsday and surprise, it's not Superman, as WW slowly uncrosses the gauntlets and this theme plays... is one of the few bits of BvS that totally worked.... at least I hope it's her theme and it's not gonna be like MOS where they never use it in any of the movies (Because that'd be too exciting :D ).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it just me, or is WW looking only marginally less drab and grim than JL? (Select "View Image" to see bigger pics.)

image.jpg

Compare to:
image.jpg

Not that a WW1 movie should be bright and cheery, mind, but I'm seeing a lot of chatter suggesting WW will break the grimdark Snyder/Ayer mold, and be a bold, fresh new direction. Based on these stills, I'm not seeing that at all...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trailers aren't usually the best representation of the final film's color grading and effects, but I do see what you mean. WB/DC definitely has a certain look. 
Notice they stopped claiming that the DCEU films are 'filmmaker-driven' (which was supposed to be in contrast to Marvel's allegedly heavy tampering in their films). I think WB have been making and will keep making the same mistakes over and over with DC films. Hopefully they will crash and learn from their mistakes finally, without hitting "rock bottom" or thinking DC films just aren't profitable. They can't just keep pumping out mediocre-rated expensive overly-edited-in-post products indefinitely. And the spin they try to take after each one comes out with bad reviews is getting formulaic. "It's for the fans, not for the critics" "It's just too smart for people who watch superhero movies" etc. I really want these movies to be good. There is precedent for it. Just look at the animated material (pre-New 52), the Donner material, the first Burton movie, or the first two Nolan movies. 

For example, it has been mentioned before but there is an animated Wonder Woman film from 2009 that is excellent. Not just excellent for an animated film, but excellent for a film. If they just filmed that (and maybe added a little more meat, as the animated film is only slightly over an hour in length) I think people would love it. Alas, the WB mindset is that every department must be kept separate in their vague media caste system. Comics are lower than animation is lower than tv is lower than film. 

:(

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I truly hope DC will maintain their autheur style as I love this.  It can be a way to give each film something fresh, a new visual style etc.…

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I truly hope DC will maintain their autheur style as I love this.  It can be a way to give each film something fresh, a new visual style etc.…

What do you mean? The films released so far have had a very similar aesthetic, trailers not withstanding. In what way is that giving each film a fresh, new visual style? And what etc?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wanting to have a go at regrading that comic-con trailer last night as it happens (Just for fun). I can't be bothered with working with a sh*tty streaming file though. If it turns up on a Blu-Ray somewhere I'd have a go.

Top Bottom