• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Hulu tries to compete with Netflix in the original content game with an adaptation of Stephen King's absolutely fantastic novel 11/22/63. I've been following the development of this for the past few months and I'm quite excited for it. When I read that Hulu was making a mini-series I figured there would be 4 episodes, maybe 5, but hot damn they're giving us 8 eps!

I won't spoil anything that happens in the book, but here's a simple synopsis:

High school English teacher Jake Epping travels back in time to prevent the assassination of President John F. Kennedy — but his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, falling in love and the past itself, which doesn’t want to be changed.

Premieres February 15, 2016. No word yet if Hulu will drop all episodes at once or spread them out weekly, but I'm guessing the latter.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sort of a nerd on the whole JFK conspiracy thing. I've been to the Book Despository, checked out all of the different angles and stories, even walked Oswald's route from the depository to where Tippit was killed to the theater. Just last weekend I was in New Orleans and went to Lafayette and Camp where Guy Bannister's old office was. Unfortunately, it has long been torn down.

I even think I could argue that JFK is the most flawless movie ever made.

This sounds like a really interesting production and I hope it does well.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved the book and am excited to see this series. Wish it was on something other than Hulu but whatever.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, those opening shots are amazingly like the way I pictured the scenes when I read the book. The lighting, the colors. This series could be pretty good.

beezo said:
I'm sort of a nerd on the whole JFK conspiracy thing.

Then you'll probably like the book because it had deep detail about Oswald. I liked the book but for me there was too much about Oswald, but I can see how conspiracy nerds would like that. The book even had a satisfying ending to its time travel handwavium, which was pretty original stuff for a time travel fantasy.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just watched the premiere episode and I really liked it. No spoilers, but some of the changes made from the book really irked me but didn't keep me from enjoying it. I think this has a lot of potential and could possibly be the best King mini-series yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't take a nose-dive in quality.

testingfazed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had Hulu until about a month ago and now I am reconsidering my cancellation. The book was so good and I think can translate really well to the small screen. Neglify, how is Franco in this? He is my huge question mark, I don't really care for the guy.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
testingfazed said:
Neglify, how is Franco in this? He is my huge question mark, I don't really care for the guy.

So far he's OK. Nothing amazing but he doesn't screw it up either. You could probably wait until the whole series is out, then use an alternate e-mail address to do a free trial of Hulu and binge-watch everything.

testingfazed

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, good idea. I used it so sparingly that it just wasn't worth it. Their original shows were bad for the time I had it, now that they are putting some money into it to compete with Netflix I have higher hopes.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So the show is over now. I'm not entirely sure how I felt about it as a whole. It had a great opening, then faltered after a couple episodes, then went into suck territory in the middle of the run, but it ended strong. 

There's absolutely no question that the book is superior in practically every aspect, but this isn't a waste of time. Hardcore fans of the book (like me) might get really frustrated with the changes made, but anybody who hasn't read the book will most likely enjoy it.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
There's absolutely no question that the book is superior in practically every aspect, but this isn't a waste of time. Hardcore fans of the book (like me) might get really frustrated with the changes made, but anybody who hasn't read the book will most likely enjoy it.

I haven't watched the final episode yet but I can agree the book is much much better. That said I wasn't as disappointed with the show as it sounds like you were. It's had its trouble spots but overall I've enjoyed it and understand the changes they've made to accommodate the ten episodes they were given. I reserve final judgement until I see the finale though. :)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The wife and I enjoyed episode 1. Thanks for not spoiling anything, and for the reviews. I didn't read the book so I'm going in without any knowledge of the plot.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I followed this tv show and it was at some points great
But i think a 2 hours movie would have bin better
I am not very happy with those king stories in tv shows, for example The Stand was way to long
I hope there's someday a remake of it but then as i movie with great effects
I hope also that there is a movie someday of Rose Madder, Man that would be a great horrormovie with that psychocop Norman

Back to 11.63 it was fun to watch it but of course the book is (mostly always) better with those tv shows there are always wordy scenes in it.
But the most bothering thing in this show was Lee Harvey Oswald
That guy was complete miscast with that overacting shit and totally unbelievable

The best performance i saw of Lee Oswald was years ago in the tv movie The trail of Lee Harvey Oswald (1977)

John Pleshette was great in that movie as Lee Oswald

After that i never saw a actor who did such a performance again

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bit off topic, but Cemetery Dance is publishing the revised King works with new artwork,
This is fairly well known in the Horror book circles, but some may not know.

The signed editions are always snapped up in minutes, though many may find the asking price ($1000) too high.
Too rich for my blood.

Here's a link for Carrie, the trade is $85.00.

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/king09

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
11.22.63 (2016, Hulu)

99128ac3-1ddc-4bce-b48d-1e5e5a550ce0.jpg

I'm almost a complete stranger to Stephen King's works - I've seen the movie The Mist and read one of his New Yorker short stories, and some Entertainment Weekly columns, but that's it, I think, until this. I enjoyed it - the episodes vary widely in narrative focus and tone, but I liked them about equally regardless. (And hey, there's The Mummy (1999)'s own Kevin J. O'Connor own as the mysterious Yellow Card Man!) Unlike maniac, I thought Daniel Webber gave an excellent performance as Oswald, and George MacKay was also great as James Franco's sidekick Bill. Franco himself I found pretty good, though his lopsided grin does tend to throw me off whenever he turns it all the way on - which I suppose was part of the point, in that he's a man out of time.

Not a classic, but I'd definitely call it worth the ride.

B

Top Bottom