• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars VIII - The Last Jedi

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, this thread is to post news and also YOUR own ideas about Star Wars Episode VIII. Spoilers for The Force Awakens are allowed. Do not read this thread if you did not see The Force Awakens.

Do not post spoilers for Episode VIII (we are far from getting spoilers anyway, but I prefer to say it already), post only things YOU think could happen or your theories about what we could see.

(But be warned that speculations can also end to be true in the final movie... I don't call speculations "spoilers", but if you don't want to read anything about Star Wars VIII, then don't read this tread)

Ideas:

- I heard Rian Johnson said that he will do something with Episode 8 that has never been done before in Star Wars.
What I think he could do is: make a long Jedi Vision at some point. Something that would be the first real flashback (or flashforward, or both) in a Star Wars movie. I suppose it could be during a "teaching scene". Rey or Kylo.
If this happens it means that we could see a short scene with Luke and Han. I think the audience deserves it, but it's just the fan in me talking.

- But I must say that I'd prefer the movie starting after all the teaching.
What I would do is: Finn is waking up from coma several months after TFA events. He's told that Rey did not come back from her trip to see Luke. Leia does not want to send someone. Luke will come back when he wants. But Finn do not agree. Along with Poe he plans to go looking for Rey. (and yes they find her quite fast or in the middle of the movie, not during the last 30 seconds!)

News:
- Rian Johnson is searching to cast a new young female actress.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kylo Ren is the perfect Rian Johnson hero. Alienated young man who is trying to figure out some warped version of reality.

Showdowns in a Rian Johnson movie never go like you expect them to. There's always some twist or else some plot point added later that changes the whole scene.

Rian Johnson is a very noir director, by that I mean his characters are haunted by the past and their story is about coming to terms with the past.

Also I think Johnson is more dedicated to practical effects than JJ Abrams, just as his own preference.

Anyway I have high hopes for Episode VIII. Even if it's as bad as Johnson's worst movie it'll be very interesting.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I said it in the SW 7 Spoilers thread, but I really think it'd be cool if they played with audience expectations since many think Rey is supposed to be Luke Skywalker's daughter. If done right it could parallel the moment in Empire when Vader reveals he's Luke's father, but the twist here would be to subvert audience expectations and make the reveal that Luke is NOT her father, though many signs may point that way. Luke being amused by the idea would also allow a self-referential wink to the audience (not an actual wink though) and it could... rhyme, like poetry (which is a saying that's getting old really fast).

Trying to think of something that's never been done in a Star Wars movie, and all I can come up with at the moment is opening the film by briefly revisiting the events of SW7's ending before jumping ahead in time to months later. This revisiting intro would show how Kylo Ren, Phasma, and some others got off the Death Star 3 planet before it blew up. Maybe Kylo Ren would be punished by Snoke, or maybe his body would be damaged and he'd have to don a Vader suit for real, one that wasn't just aesthetically similar, but functionally similar as well. I imagine he could even be punishing himself like people who (there's no way to put this without it sounding sexual, but I promise, it's not) flog themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-flagellation
There is also the possibility that they're just talking about a regular flashback (not a force vision) to show how Maz Kanata ended up with Luke's lightsaber. I feel like it's going to be something simple like that, not something extreme like scoring the movie with smooth jazz or excluding an opening crawl. I'd really like to see more Snoke, but I'd like his hologram to be like a Wizard of Oz thing, where he ends up being practical instead of motion-capture, and not really looking like his hologram at all. He could still be large and imposing without having to be a literal giant. Andy Serkis' real face should get more screen time IMO.

This is an interesting time because we're between films and there is actual mystery in Star Wars again. Everyone knew Anakin was Vader. Nobody knows who Rey is. The popular question now is "Who is Rey?" but since the next movie simply doesn't exist yet, the question should be "Who will Rey end up being?"

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll say it. I'll be hugely disappointed if Rey is in some way related to the Skywalkers. I'm okay with an entertaining introduction to the new cast that leaned, for me, a little too heavily on the past. But it's time to expand the story, not shrink it. Yes, the Saga is about the Skywalker family but we already have a next generation Skywalker. Please don't be myopic, Rian.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Please don't be myopic, Rian.

I kinda want him to be super short-sighted since there is only one movie after his in the trilogy.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd be interested to see a link to wherever Johnson said he'd be doing something never done before. I'm inclined to believe it won't be something that breaks the typical SW structure, as I don't see any reason why there should be a significant flashback or something different with the crawl or what have you. It could easily be something story related.

Here's what I'm thinking we'll see:

- I doubt there'll be nearly as much mirroring this time around but I think we can certainly expect this to be the dark middle chapter and for there to be some strong parallels. For instance, it'd make sense if the film starts with the First Order striking back on the Resistance base and I could easily see and would have no problem with some of the heroes being on the run for the majority of the picture. In fact, there's probably a lot they could get away with in terms of similarities to ESB, but there's always a line. I'll be rolling my eyes for days if Rey gets her right hand lopped off.

- Rey/Luke(/R2/Chewie?) - I'm curious to know if we'll actually see Rey being trained, Luke in ESB style. The one radical thing that could potentially happen is VIII picking up right where VII left off, more or less, but I doubt this. Since there's usually at least a bit of a gap (enough for significant things to happen off screen), I wouldn't be surprised if Rey is already quite a bit into her training. If I had to guess, I would wager we see at the very least a few training scenes because I think one of the goals of the ST seems to be continuing the intrigue of the Force and introducing abilities never seen before (plus it's what Luke was meant to do since ROTJ - to pass on what he has learned). It's also important to remember that one of the very few concrete things we know about VIII is that they filmed on Skellig Michael. Eventually of course Rey will have to go off on some sort of adventure or rescue attempt or whatever (presumably bringing along R2 and Chewie), but I wonder if we might see her and Luke go off on some sort of Jedi quest (what exactly was Luke looking for at the first Jedi Temple?). I can only imagine that Luke will have a substantial amount of screen time here (at least more so than last time around). I don't know if it will be the victory lap that Han got in TFA but I bet it will be on par with Yoda's in ESB. Also unlike Han I think he'll survive this installment (but probably bite it in IX).

- I do strongly believe that Rey will be revealed to be Luke's daughter but I do not thing it will be done as a twist (because so many are expecting it, every time I see this movie I hear people walking out asking about that). To me it's the natural progression of the story so I'm very much okay with it. The question is, how will Rey react? That's where the dramatic power lies. She's probably sensed it (in a "I've always known" sort of way) but either way the fact that her parents left her on Jakku is a pretty big deal and getting to the bottom of that will be interesting.

- Finn/Poe/BB-8(/C-3PO/Leia?) - The Resistance team! The way it's set up at the end of TFA makes it seem like Finn and Rey will likely not reunite for a while. I'd guess they meet up again halfway through at the earliest, though I'm not ruling out the possibility that they don't see each other again until IX (but if I were to put money on it I don't think that will be the case). So with Rey out of the way I'm totally expecting this side of the movie to be a Finn/Poe buddy bromance film. Or romance film? I wouldn't mind it. I do think we're probably going to get a romance in this film and I don't think Rey will be involved (in fact I'm expecting/hoping that Rey doesn't have a romantic storyline at all in the trilogy). I see it either being Finn/Poe or Finn and another woman or Poe and another woman (there have been rumors of a new female lead with some saying Gugu Mbatha-Raw as the front runner for the role). Otherwise I'm excited to see what's in store here. I'm hoping we get a clearer sense of the state of the Republic and how the Resistance is doing after all this. I don't really expect Leia's role to be any bigger than it was last time but we'll see. BB-8 will surely continue to be a delight and I can only hope we get more 3PO because there wasn't enough last time for my liking.

- Kylo Ren/Hux/Phasma(/Del Toro?) - The big question for the villains is how are they going to juggle all of them with the addition of Benicio Del Toro? And is Del Toro even a member of the First Order? Either way, somehow I'm picturing him in a role butting heads with Hux. The thing I'm most positive about is that we'll have a lot more Phasma, to the point where I wonder if she'll be even more prominent than Kylo? In my mind, there's two ways they do the Kylo/Snoke dynamic here. Either Kylo spends a good amount of the movie out of the fray, training with Snoke, or Kylo's already done training and ready to be a bad mofo and we only get a couple glimpses of Snoke (seeing just a teeny bit more than last time). If I had to guess, it'd be the latter, but if it's the former I could see Phasma picking up the slack as the FO's number one muscle.

In general, I'm expecting this to be the best of the ST. TFA's done the dirty work of setting things up and IX will do the dirty work later of tying things up. Sky's the limit on this one Rian. Hit it out of the park.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I kinda want him to be super short-sighted since there is only one movie after his in the trilogy.

I highly doubt they're stopping at Episode 9. They plan to release a SW film every year indefinitely, alternating between spinoffs and episodes.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I'm inclined to believe it won't be something that breaks the typical SW structure, as I don't see any reason why there should be a significant flashback or something different with the crawl or what have you. It could easily be something story related.

I don't think they would break SW's structures either, that's why I don't believe in a regular flashback. But a long Jedi Vision (mostly in the past) is something that could fit in the story giving that Luke Skywalker was away to find the "first Jedi Temple". What would be in an old Jedi temple if not: old artifacts, Force Ghosts, ancient visions, etc..?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I highly doubt they're stopping at Episode 9. They plan to release a SW film every year indefinitely, alternating between spinoffs and episodes.

Yup. But they could also make a spinoff trilogy after the regular Episodes, as far as I know ;)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, my comment was a joke since that wasn't the intended definition of "myopic." But 7, 8 and 9 are a trilogy. After that, I'm 100% sure they'll continue episodic ones but I don't think they've said how (e.g. another trilogy, increasing episodes of this story in perpetuity, etc).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
I'd be interested to see a link to wherever Johnson said he'd be doing something never done before.

Rian Johnson didn't say it, Lawrence Kasdan did.

http://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-kasdan-star-wars-episode-8/

These movies will all be so different. [“Episode VIII” director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in “Star Wars.”

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally can't wait to see the scene where Poe stares into Finn's eyes and says, "I'm nice men" before being interrupted by BB8.

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will post more ideas later but for now, how about instead of showing Rey's training, they do a reverse and show how Snoke trains Ren in the Dark side. I know it's sounds silly lol.

Also, if my memory is correct, Snoke refers to Rey as the girl with the staff. Much has been speculated about the staff. Maybe it's nothing or maybe it's something that snoke wants. The staff does look like it's made up of done light sabers.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- Star Wars Episode VIII is set to go in front of cameras later this month.
- John Boyega, who plays Finn, spoke with Vogue recently about his Star Wars experience. When asked about Episode VIII, Boyega said, "It's great. Much darker, but we're very excited."

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eee472c024b816c0241a903ee629228e.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^What does that have to do with Episode VIII News & Speculations?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Episode VIII changes release date from 5/26/17 to 12/17/17. GDISM. This come on the heels of the news that Rian Johnson is working on rewriting the script and pushed production back to accommodate the changes.

I'm only surprised it was still down for a May release, once TFA moved to December.

Also having a new SW movie felt like Christmas and Christmas felt like Christmas. It was Christmas feels x2! :) and summer is a crowded market so it makes sense.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And now we have Star Wars vs Avatar in Dec 2017. Box office heavyweight bout right there.

Top Bottom