• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Independence Day: Resurgence

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Most of the gang have been assembled again for this one, with one major omission

According to the official viral site, Will's character died in 2007 testing out one of the new hybrid vessels, his son takes up his role in the sequel

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Ewww. That looks so dark, depressing, drab and serious. The original was all bright, colourful and full of ludicrous action and humour. Plus why do FX created 20 years on look less realistic? Still, it might be worth a watch just to see Goldblum back in a leading role.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh man, that has sequelitis all over it. I'm morbidly curious because some of the ideas looked cool, like what we could achieve over 20 years with advanced alien tech, but it seems overly reliant on the first one. I'll admit, Goldblum's final line was meta enough to make me chuckle.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many moons ago, I thought of what could be an interesting plot to a sequel to ID:4. It's 20 years later. The world is struggling to rebuild, but limited resources means big, popular western cities get rebuilt before the less important 2nd and 3rd world cities. The unity of the world is starting to become unhinged. Pullman isn't the president of the US, but is the president of the organization leading the rebuilding of the world. Goldblum is leading the scientists who are reverse engineering the alien tech. Smith is the premier pilot of alien tech and is teaching and training others. The thought of the aliens returning is starting to fade after 20 years...

Then Goldblum and his crew find the warp drives within the destroyed mothership. Tinkering with it, they've discovered that they can utilize them, but only to go back to the source - where they originally warped from. Only there could they get "the other end" of the warp drive so that we could use it for interstellar travel themselves.

There's a tremendous amount of politics about going back or not. Some are saying the aliens are destroyed and there's no risk of doing so. Others are saying that their return is inevitable and we must try and fight them on their turf - better to fight them there, than here. Yet others are saying that banding together to fight the aliens will help smooth out the growing unrest in the world and restore unity. Yet others are saying that if we can get intersteller travel, then we can colonize other worlds and not be so susceptible to alien invasion.

Goldblum, Pullman and Smith are all against using it, but the fate of politics is too much and it is done. In large mass, the humans warp to the alien homeworld. And we attack...on their Independence Day.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember reading about their plans for a '99 release called "Millennium Day"

There was also a tie-in audio drama based in Britain.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
...we attack...on their Independence Day.
Yeah Id just thinking a role reversal sequel would have been a more intriguing formula to follow, where we go attack them on their planet. I would be way more inclined to spend money on seeing a film that did that rather than just "they're attacking again... and this time it's bigger!"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:

Thanks Zarius. I had that on cassette tape. Nice to listen to it again.

Woah looking at the Wiki page it's got Colin Baker and Peter Serafinowicz doing voices.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So did anyone go see this?

I still love the original for all it's epic B-Movie gooeyness, but I am hesitant to see the sequel....  :huh:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
So did anyone go see this?

I still love the original for all it's epic B-Movie gooeyness, but I am hesitant to see the sequel....  :huh:

I'm probably going to see it next weekend. I don't expect it to be great but I'm hoping it will be entertaining.

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Zarius said:

Thanks Zarius. I had that on cassette tape. Nice to listen to it again.

Woah looking at the Wiki page it's got Colin Baker and Peter Serafinowicz doing voices.

Heh, forgot,

20160628_050227_184072.jpghttp:

I still have it!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had never heard of this before. A quick search on YouTube gave good results so I've bookmarked it to listen tomorrow.

el_silloneb

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's really good, goes more for the overt comedy angle though.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rebue:

(Note that I saw this film stoned so I might have enjoyed it more than normally. Great movie to watch high.)

I saw the original Independence Day opening weekend 20 years ago and I loved it, so of course I was excited to see this on the big screen. Is it better than the original? No. Does it suck asphalt? Hell no. It's about on par in quality or just a hair under.

I will say that the characters and dialogue are a bit cliched and paint by numbers. The plot is a predictable blockbuster three-act structure. About an hour into it you'll know where it's headed, who survives as heroes and who will be causalities of war.

But the good outweighs the bad. The actual story here is smart. The human race survived an alien attack, what is Earth like now? The progression of technology and military is logical and well thought out. And the CGI was decent. Didn't look like a documentary but also didn't feel like a cartoon.

Above all else this is a fun popcorn movie. If you liked the original, it's a good bet you'll like the legacy sequel. I would love to see what this franchise does next. 

7/10

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally saw this today at a cheap afternoon matinee... it was good dumb fun.   It does not have the same heart as the original, but still was good escapist entertainment.

There is a lot of green screen in this movie, and I don't know if I was imagining things, but many of the scenes featuring Bill Pullman looked like he was added into the group shots?   

Particularly, the one and only scene with Jeff Goldblum, the way it was staged and lit, it was almost as if the two actors were not in the scene together.   Same goes when a clean shaven Pullman shows up to volunteer to fly the Tug, it just did not look like was actually there to me. 

Did anyone else have the same impression, or did I get sun stroke while delivering the mail today?  :D

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few observations:

1) This movie almost entirely lacks the heart of the original, which was the panaroma of mostly unrelated characters. Though most of said characters return, the whole world in-universe has militarized in preparation for the next attack, so even the new ones fit into professional slots and don't connect in unexpected ways.

2) Although this sequel also reprises the sneaky human counter-attack gambit of the first, it gets lost in the action shuffle. So, er, boo.

3) The most exciting thing to happen in the movie is Maika Monroe gets to briefly look badas-sexy at the end. Sadly, she barely gets to do anything, with everyone's Grudgingly Tolerated Hemsworth Brother take center stage instead. Should've been her! Sad!

normal_independenceday-maikamonroe4695.jpg

4) I thought Rogue One was visually dark/dim... jeez, this movie's even darker. Whenever the characters are indoors, one can barely see anything. Ugh.

Conclusion: I borrowed this from the library, and still want my money back. Despite the blatant sequel bait ending, I don't expect Disney (ugh, btw) to make any more of this dry toast.

C-

----------------------------------

This home release extra is a lot more fun than the movie itself:

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has to be the most 'turgid' sequel of recent years, the first is a 'cheesefest' classic but Resurgence felt like a big budget scy-fy channel sequel.  It definitely seems like Chris got all the acting talent in the Hemsworth family too...  Will Smith may be struggling a bit career wise lately but he was shrewd passing this turkey up

Top Bottom