• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars Episode I-III : The Rule Of Two (Tokyotaitai Fan Edit)

tokyotaitai

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Konnichiwa! Another Star Wars fan edit here!

With all the hype surrounding the new Star Wars Episode VII : The Force Awakens movie, I decided to do what many have done before by trying to fix all the episodes from the Prequel Trilogy (PT) into one cohesive movie.

I always felt the PT portrayed Anakin as an annoying kid and an exceptionally creepy young adult. In my fan edit, I've tried to make him less angry all the time but more insecure to highlight how his love for Padme led him to the Dark Side. I also wanted to put more emphasis on Palpatine and how he created the Galactic Empire.

We all have our likes and dislikes from the PT and can go into great lengths and discussions about it. So my aim was to remove most of the unnecessary fluff that deviated away from the main storyline, whilst still keeping a few controversial bits in there for Star Wars newbies to form their own judgements as well.

My fan edit has a new introduction crawl and starts from Ep I when Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi rescue Queen Amidala from Naboo and are forced to land in Tatooine. I made it somewhat straightforward that Qui-Gon purchased parts from Watto. That meant no more podracing, which eliminated most of young Anakin’s terrible acting and dialogue. However, I needed to strengthen why Qui-Gon believed Anakin was special since he now has no clue how good his reflexes are at podracing. Hence why I had to include the controversial midichlorian, Anakin-is-like-Jesus and “The Prophecy” scenes in. These ideas were always bigger than the actual man Anakin was, which I felt highlighted his insecurities even more. I removed 97% of Jar Jar Binks, but left some of his antics there so newbies would know how friggin’ annoying he was. Gone from Ep I is Queen Amidala’s double, the Gungan city, Anakin flying the starfighter (R2D2 is the true hero here) and the cheesy victory celebration. Ep I ends with Palpatine overlooking Qui-Gon’s funeral pyre.

The movie then fast forwards 10 years to Ep II. Most of Anakin’s creepy dialogue was edited out, the timing improved on and the dinner/fireplace scene in Naboo completely removed. Anakin has always been impressionable and looked up to strong figures, so I wanted him to be drawn to Padme because she was political and a Senator. I got rid of their our-love-is-forbidden secrecy, and made them share their first kiss as they enter the gladiator-esque scene in Geonosis. A lot of fight scenes were trimmed down. Gone from Ep II is the Jedi Library, Obi-Wan meeting Jango Fett in his quarters, Shmi’s funeral, R2D2 and C3PO in the Geonosis Colosseum and Padme rescuing Obi-Wan and Anakin from Count Dooku’s hangar (continuity error in the original movie - how on earth did she even know they were there!). Scenes from Ep II end with Palpatine overlooking his new Clone Army.

Fast forward 3 years to Ep III where Obi-Wan and Anakin are rescuing Palpatine in a massive space battle. I removed General Grievous here and the crash landing scene (I felt the battleship’s free-fall gravity scenes in the original movie rather confusing). Gone is the scene where Padme tells Anakin that she is pregnant. Instead, we find out when Anakin tell her about his premonitions after his nightmare. His first flash-forward is woven into the scene when he confides to Yoda about his premonitions. I also altered Anakin’s scene when he contemplates the joining the Dark Side at the Jedi Council Chambers. Instead of him and Padme looking out into the distance, I included scenes from Padme’s funeral (with some added effects) as a flash-forward premonition, to push Anakin over the edge and save Palpatine from Mace Windu.

Obi-Wan’s fight with Grievous and scenes from the aftermath of Order 66 are shortened. No Jedi Temple massacre. I consolidated scenes from the Yoda-Palpatine and Anakin-Obi-Wan fight sequences so they would flow better. Also, I left Padme’s condition after childbirth vague (no funeral scene) to match some continuity in the Original Trilogy (Episode IV when Leia says she remembers her mother) and to make it appear as though Darth Sidious lied when he said Darth Vader killed Padme (I left the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO scene in but shortened it to a NOOO). I included the part where Yoda decides that Luke and Leia were to be separated but cut out both scenes where Senator Organa is with Leia in Alderaan and Obi-Wan bringing Luke to Tatooine. Droid memories are wiped out. The end of the movie shows Sidious and Vader overlooking the construction of the Death Star.

This is also my first attempt at doing anything like this, so the total film running time was edited down to 200mins. I realise this is LOTR-esque long, so I would love to hear any feedback from the Fan Edit forum community on where and how I could improve on the storyline even more. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please send me a PM if you would like a link to view my work.

Domo arigato!
tokyotaitai

This has been submitted to the Academy for review. Please be patient as their is backlog, we'll get to previewing it as soon as possible. Thanks.

Edit is APPROVED.

Edit demonstrates a great deal of skill. There are some very difficult transitions that are pulled off flawlessly and overall it is an exceedingly strong submission given the difficulty of the task undertaken.

Aside from this there are several narrative concerns and a few scoring concerns that I have delivered to the editor privately. Narrative concerns are not generally taken as an evaluation factor in judging firstling submissions, and the editor can choose whether to address these concerns or leave them unaddressed.

Congratulations @"tokyotaitai" on the approval :) . Thread moved.

Back
Top Bottom