• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Returns!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Surprised there wasn't a thread for this already.

Series creator Joel Hodgson's got a kickstarter going to bring the show back. Currently, they've hit their goal for six episodes, but they're aiming for a full season of 12. New cast (including 'bot voices), but they seem promising. Patton Oswalt as the son and/or clone of TV's Frank is perfect casting in my opinion. Joel's offering cameos / creative invitations to the old cast, but nothing's set in stone on that front. Regardless, I couldn't be happier. The original show's pretty much my favorite show of all time. It played a bit role in shaping my views of both cinema and humor. From the charming near-improvised riffing of the KTMA episodes to the laser-guided snark of the Sci-Fi seasons, it never disappointed. I got into it well after the cancellation. The notion of being able to anticipate new episodes...I'm experiencing a sensation altogether new to me, and frankly I love it!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You buried the lead...Felicia Day?

original

Having said that...I was excited about watching Con Man...until I found out it was Vimeo On Demand only, and would cost $15 to watch. I thought it was funded by other people so that I didn't have to pay. I already pay an ungodly amount each month for cable, I'm not also paying additional money for one (short) show.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If my avatar doesn't express my joy, then nothing will. :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huzzah! The mst3k movies have been inspirations for my style of fanediting.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You buried the lead...Felicia Day?

original

Having said that...I was excited about watching Con Man...until I found out it was Vimeo On Demand only, and would cost $15 to watch. I thought it was funded by other people so that I didn't have to pay. I already pay an ungodly amount each month for cable, I'm not also paying additional money for one (short) show.

I'm some sort of cave troll or rock monster who doesn't know who she is. But she's channeling Pearl, so I approve. Honestly, I don't know of anyone else in the new cast, save Oswalt. Anyway, it's my understanding that they'll be trying for some kinda TV broadcast of the new season, and it'll wind up getting the same DVD/Blu-Ray/Purchasable video download treatment as the classic episodes as well. Backers get some number of free episodes depending on their donation amount. I'm personally going to wait for the final product, unless Joel stops teasing and actually makes the lost KMTA episodes one of the reward tiers.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I'm some sort of cave troll or rock monster who doesn't know who she is.

Watch Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog immediately. Then go watch The Guild.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it's very cool. I wish some of the other folks were involved, too, such as Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy, but they're doing a great job on Rifftrax and don't really need this.

I'm very glad that Joel and co. aren't attempting to recreate the past exactly. If it were Joel himself being captured all over again by, say, Dr. F and TV's Frank back from the dead, it would feel too much like a rehash. Cameos by these actors? Sure. Behind-the-scenes input? By all means! But "Joel's stuck in space again" would be one step too far, even for a show with as deliberately outlandish of a premise as this.

My first thought on Felicia Day was: "Yes!" Then I thought: "Hmm, but can she play a mad scientist?" Then I looked at the Facebook thread and most people were saying, "Felicia Day is a terrible choice. She only ever plays the same cutesy character!" My response to that was: Um, since she's clearly not playing a cutesy character this time, shouldn't that make these people happy?

So I'm looking forward to her in this. In the first place, no one would have guessed that romantic-comedy lead Heath Ledger would make the most terrifying Joker everywhere. Secondly, have any of the Mads been truly scary? The comedy revolves around how much less scary they are than they think they are. Day has the comedic chops. I know she can do this.

The only weird thing was Joel insisting that the new Mad have bright red hair to match with the other Forresters. Um, Dr. F and Pearl both have light brown hair.

I know Patton Oswalt mainly from his occasional appearances on Agents of SHIELD. He's pretty awesome.

The new Tom Servo isn't attempting to do an imitation, and that's fine. Roger Moore wasn't attempting to imitate Sean Connery. Meanwhile, the new Crow is a scary good imitation of the original!

So, yeah, consider me excited for all of this. We've got movie sign! (What does "movie sign" mean anyway? Why not just say, "It's time to watch the movie"?) :)

P.S. [MENTION=9451]matrixgrindhouse[/MENTION] -- Did you mean to say that the show "played a bit role in shaping my views of both cinema and humor," in which case it was very small, or did you mean to say a "big" role? :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Big. This is why you shouldn't post while battling insomnia.

Regarding Movie Sign, the MST3K wikia states, "The phrase "Movie Sign" is a likely reference to the concept of wormsign from Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel Dune.". I also recall Gypsy once referring to it as "Movie Light" which makes more sense in context.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know Patton Oswalt because of Mr. Show.

I just randomly searched for a scene that included him (go to 1:05).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I know Patton Oswalt because of Mr. Show.

I just randomly searched for a scene that included him (go to 1:05).

Uhhh I didn't see Patton in that. Methinks you're confusing him with Paul F. Thompkins.

Patton is in this episode, briefly as Famous Mortimer. If timecode doesn't work automatically, go to 12:05.

[video=youtube_share;0XinKALHZX8]

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Uhhh I didn't see Patton in that. Methinks you're confusing him with Paul F. Thompkins.

It's a no-brainer.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's more of the new 'bot voices in action.

The new Crow sits comfortably between Trace and Bill's versions of the character - a very natural transition. The new Servo is a bit different. Closer to Josh's version of the character. Well, I mean, after he gave up the Kermit style voice.

Which, in turn, was after... oh, hey. He did communicate in beeps!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, [MENTION=9451]matrixgrindhouse[/MENTION] ! I should have known there was an explanation on a wiki somewhere for "movie sign." That's one of those things that's been a question in my mind for so long -- well before there was any way to look it up -- that I forget that there are now in fact ways to look this up. :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
-Wayne White (Peewee's Playhouse)
-Pendleton Ward (Adventure Time)
-Rebecca and Steven Sugar (Steven Universe)
-Guy Davis (frequent Guillermo Del Toro collaborator)
-Frenden (graphic artist)
-Joshua Pruett (Phineas & Ferb)
-Gary Glover (artist)
-Marty Baumann (Toy Story 3, Big Hero 6)
-Brett Bean (designs for Nickelodeon, Disney, etc.)
-Steve Vance (artist who does the little posters that come in those Shout Factory MST3K boxsets)
-Adam Savage (Mythbusters) will be onboard as a practical effects consultant
-Grant Bacoccio and Russ Walco (Jim Henson Company) will be working on puppets

Some of the names working on the new show

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As of this post, they've exceeded their $5.9 million dollar goal. A full season of fourteen episodes confirmed. Including a holiday special. And a Mark Hamil cameo is likely. Hm... Mark Hamill... Holiday Special... could this be a Life Day miracle?!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is great news. I hear this is now the most funded film-related Kickstarter project in it's history too.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
News update! 
http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=22976
http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=22976The new season will deubt on Netflix early next year! 
To hammer home that this is indeed Season 11 - and not a reboot - the Sci-Fi era Mads will all be appearing in some capacity.  Mary Jo and Bill will be joining the writing team as well.
Speaking of writing, all the riffs are written - host segments still being worked on.

Top Bottom