• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Trouble Remuxing an MKV File with V_MS/VFW/FOURCC Codec (Superman Returns)

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used MakeMKV on a Windows 10 machine to rip my Superman Returns Blu-ray. I am using Final Cut Pro on my Mac for editing. As such, my first step is to remux my MKV files to either MP4 or M4V. Most video files I rip using MakeMKV use the popular H.264 codec and are easy to remux. My Superman Returns files use the V_MS/VFW/FOURCC codec, and no matter what I try, I can't get the video remuxed. The audio remuxes fine, but the video won't. I tried using Subler and FFmpeg to remux the video (though I cannot guarantee that I was using FFmpeg correctly).

To possibly solve the problem on the other end, are there any settings in MakeMKV I can check that'd get it to rip the video using the H.264 codec instead? I doubt it, but worth checking.

Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't you just remux the M2TS from the BRD directly?

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I should also mention that this is the region-free international version of the Blu-ray. Not sure if that makes a difference, but maybe that's why this disc is different than others I've ripped.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you tried TSMuxer? I've recently started using it and found it very easy to use for stuff like this.

Just drop the Blu-ray's *.M2TS file straight into it and you should get a list of the streams, then demux them as you wish and stick them into an MP4 or MKV. If you get stuck with that please post a screengrab of the stream list from TSMuxer, so we can all see what you are dealing with.

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
I don't know. How would I go about doing this?

I use MKVMerge, and it allows me to select the M2TS straight off the BRD rip. I copy the entire disc to my hard drive, then use MKVMerge to select the M2TS (found in the "STREAM" folder of the BRD). And it opens a selection screen of available streams. Just select the pieces you want for your new file, and press 'start muxing.' Works for me.

Now, if what you're saying is that none of those options are H264, or what have you, then I'm not sure.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
QuackAtomic said:
I use MKVMerge, and it allows me to select the M2TS straight off the BRD rip. I copy the entire disc to my hard drive, then use MKVMerge to select the M2TS (found in the "STREAM" folder of the BRD). And it opens a selection screen of available streams. Just select the pieces you want for your new file, and press 'start muxing.' Works for me.

Now, if what you're saying is that none of those options are H264, or what have you, then I'm not sure.

How do you copy the entire Blu-ray disc to your hard drive (as opposed to just copying files from it)? Is there a program you can use to do that?

I apologize for the beginner questions. I'm having some difficulty figuring this out, but I'm excited to get started once I do.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Have you tried TSMuxer? I've recently started using it and found it very easy to use for stuff like this.

Just drop the Blu-ray's *.M2TS file straight into it and you should get a list of the streams, then demux them as you wish and stick them into an MP4 or MKV. If you get stuck with that please post a screengrab of the stream list from TSMuxer, so we can all see what you are dealing with.

I tried using TSMuxer to demux just the movie to start with (none of the special features yet). When I copied this with MakeMKV, the file ended up being 25 GB. Demuxing it with TSMuxer gave me two files - an MPV that's 4.5 GB and an AC3 that's 240 MB. Does that sound right to you? Shouldn't the files be practically the same size?

I'll upload a screenshot soon.

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
How do you copy the entire Blu-ray disc to your hard drive (as opposed to just copying files from it)? Is there a program you can use to do that?

I use Magic Blu-Ray Copy, which costs about about $50. There's lots of different freeware you can try too. Check out VideoHelp.com, they've got a lot of free tools for video editing and production. I haven't used any of the freeware rippers, but I hear Clown_BD is pretty good.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
QuackAtomic said:

Alright, so I used MKVMerge to take the MPV and AC3 files I had gotten by demuxing it with TSMuxer and put them back together as an MKV, then I used ShanaEncoder to remux that into an MP4. I then transferred that file over to my Mac (I rip on a Windows laptop because it's my only computer with a Blu-ray drive but I use Final Cut Pro on my Mac for editing). I double-checked the MP4 in VLC Media Player, and it played great. I then tried to import this file into Final Cut Pro. The audio worked great, but the video came through as nothing but green. I can't figure out why.

This has been such a frustrating process. I've never had this much difficulty with any other Blu-ray.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any easy way to upload a photo directly from my computer? I'm trying to upload a screenshot, but the only option I see is to upload a photo from a URL.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any easy way to upload a photo directly from my computer? I'm trying to upload a screenshot, but the only option I see is to upload a photo from a URL.

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
I then tried to import this file into Final Cut Pro. The audio worked great, but the video came through as nothing but green. I can't figure out why.

That sounds like a codec problem of some sort. Something along the way is causing the final file, whether that be its native video codec or the containers its inside, to confuse FCP. I don't use a Mac, so I can't begin to guess. But I would check out your codecs and see if there's a discrepancy somewhere.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How do I edit the title of a thread? I made a couple of typos in the title (that I noticed right after I posted it, of course), and it's really starting to bother me.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Son of Suns said:
How do I edit the title of a thread? I made a couple of typos in the title (that I noticed right after I posted it, of course), and it's really starting to bother me.

Do an advanced edit of the first post.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And I've now also tried taking the files that I originally ripped with MakeMKV and remuxing them to MP4 with ShanaEncoder, only to find that this time, Final Cut Pro wouldn't even let me import it at all (as opposed to the last attempt, which imported, but had nothing but a green screen for the video).

Now that I've found ways to remux the file yet Final Cut Pro refuses to read it properly, should this thread be moved to the "Mac Guides" forum, mods? I'm wondering if that's where I need to head for help now.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the meantime, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to convert the video? I really don't want to lose any quality, but I'm at the end of my wits here, and I'm not going to pay for a different program to edit in (especially since Final Cut Pro has worked great with every other Blu-ray I've tried).

I'm familiar with Handbrake and have used it to convert files before, but I'm not sure what the best settings would be in order to not lose video quality. If anyone's got any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:

Thank you Frink! You were so quick with that I hadn't even noticed you'd replied yet when I made my last couple posts!

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did some research online to find good settings for Handbrake to keep me from losing any noticeable quality. I set the settings up really high and did an "ultrafast" convert (which took about an hour and a half) just so I could test it with Final Cut Pro. To my relief, I've finally found something that works. The final file went from 19 GB to 16 GB, so I don't think I lost any noticeable quality. I set Handbrake to start the conversion over, this time using the "slow" convert setting. That'll probably take all night, but will hopefully provide a copy of the movie that is indistinguishable from the Blu-ray (to the human eye, at least). Excited to finally get started on this!

All that being said, I still would prefer to use the original files without doing any conversion, so if anyone has any experience with Final Cut Pro and can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Top Bottom