If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Trouble Remuxing an MKV File with V_MS/VFW/FOURCC Codec (Superman Returns)
TM2YC Wrote:Have you tried TSMuxer? I've recently started using it and found it very easy to use for stuff like this.

Just drop the Blu-ray's *.M2TS file straight into it and you should get a list of the streams, then demux them as you wish and stick them into an MP4 or MKV. If you get stuck with that please post a screengrab of the stream list from TSMuxer, so we can all see what you are dealing with.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any easy way to upload a photo directly from my computer? I'm trying to upload a screenshot, but the only option I see is to upload a photo from a URL.
Son of Suns Wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any easy way to upload a photo directly from my computer? I'm trying to upload a screenshot, but the only option I see is to upload a photo from a URL.

Son of Suns Wrote:I then tried to import this file into Final Cut Pro. The audio worked great, but the video came through as nothing but green. I can't figure out why.

That sounds like a codec problem of some sort. Something along the way is causing the final file, whether that be its native video codec or the containers its inside, to confuse FCP. I don't use a Mac, so I can't begin to guess. But I would check out your codecs and see if there's a discrepancy somewhere.
How do I edit the title of a thread? I made a couple of typos in the title (that I noticed right after I posted it, of course), and it's really starting to bother me.
Son of Suns Wrote:How do I edit the title of a thread? I made a couple of typos in the title (that I noticed right after I posted it, of course), and it's really starting to bother me.

Do an advanced edit of the first post.
And I've now also tried taking the files that I originally ripped with MakeMKV and remuxing them to MP4 with ShanaEncoder, only to find that this time, Final Cut Pro wouldn't even let me import it at all (as opposed to the last attempt, which imported, but had nothing but a green screen for the video).

Now that I've found ways to remux the file yet Final Cut Pro refuses to read it properly, should this thread be moved to the "Mac Guides" forum, mods? I'm wondering if that's where I need to head for help now.
Done.
In the meantime, does anyone have any recommendations for the best way to convert the video? I really don't want to lose any quality, but I'm at the end of my wits here, and I'm not going to pay for a different program to edit in (especially since Final Cut Pro has worked great with every other Blu-ray I've tried).

I'm familiar with Handbrake and have used it to convert files before, but I'm not sure what the best settings would be in order to not lose video quality. If anyone's got any advice, I'd appreciate it.
TV's Frink Wrote:Done.

Thank you Frink! You were so quick with that I hadn't even noticed you'd replied yet when I made my last couple posts!
I did some research online to find good settings for Handbrake to keep me from losing any noticeable quality. I set the settings up really high and did an "ultrafast" convert (which took about an hour and a half) just so I could test it with Final Cut Pro. To my relief, I've finally found something that works. The final file went from 19 GB to 16 GB, so I don't think I lost any noticeable quality. I set Handbrake to start the conversion over, this time using the "slow" convert setting. That'll probably take all night, but will hopefully provide a copy of the movie that is indistinguishable from the Blu-ray (to the human eye, at least). Excited to finally get started on this!

All that being said, I still would prefer to use the original files without doing any conversion, so if anyone has any experience with Final Cut Pro and can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!