• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

X-Files Returns

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The revolutionary, tv game changing show of the 90s returns this January....

Hope it's good, but not holding my breath.
The original limped to the finish and I suspect it was very much a 90s phenomena.
Hopefully this is a one-off and the brief series will be self contained.
As far as the mythos - enough - the creators lost their way a long time ago.

I'll watch it, but I'm not holding my breath when it comes to quality. Carter hasn't done anything worthwhile since 2002 (actually, you could draw the line in 1999 or 2000). Morgan and Wong's careers have been spotty, to put it mildly. Spotnitz' last series Hunted was godawful, but it seems he's not involved anyway, for some reason? Vince Gilligan declined to participate because he didn't want to take time away from Better Call Saul, which might have turned out to be the right move. Also, a new visual look could have been beneficial after all these years, but all the episodes are being directed by the writers, which could be a bad move. Carter is not a particularly good director, and neither are any of the others. Wong is probably the most experienced, but Darin Morgan has two Millennium episode director credits from almost 20 years ago and that's it. It's not looking good, imo.

I still have hopes for the Darin Morgan episode, though. Also, Annet Mahendru from The Americans will guest star in an episode, and she's always great.

From the trailer only it looks at the same good and strangely a bit off.
Like a "Kingdom of Crystal Skull" feeling, where everything looks in place to be awesome but it just does not work in the end.
Maybe it is because I prefer the dark and almost horror side of the X-Files, while here it seems they go for a "24" with aliens style.
Difficult to make up my mind. I'll watch it though, for sure.

The X-Files was "televisual perfection" for the first couple of series, but soon became just "good". So I'm not all that interested in seeing something that will at best probably just aspire to reach the highs of the lows ;-). Still, fingers crossed.

My body is ready. Also, for the Bluray box set of seasons 1-9.

Hugely excited to see this. I have faith that it will be good. I thought season 9 was really underrated, although the final 2 episodes were a huge disappointment, plus I have a huge soft spot for the show as it really did change the face of television back in its day. I only wish that Carter's Millennium series could have a mini series too

LastSurvivor said:
I only wish that Carter's Millennium series could have a mini series too

Oh man, Millennium was soooo good. TV wasn't ready for it though.

I tried to watch the last episode three times. Fell asleep every try.

Good call on the standalone episodes. It was the never-ending ongoing convoluted mystery stuff that got boring and made me stop watching the original series towards the end.

An interesting return....

Mulder and Scully are tired, battered and world weary but not defeated. In typical Carter fashion, their relationship for the past 15 years is acknowledged but kept vague.

The whole "everything you know is wrong" subplot baffles me. I am hoping this is misdirection, since we the audience watched alien bounty hunters burn people, greys abduct people and the Syndicate openly discuss Colonization.

Though knowing Carter, I highly doubt we will get any definite answers over the next 5 episodes. Which is both the continual joy and frustration of the show.

All in all, a bit of a lurching start, but now that the heavy lifting is out of the way, I am looking forward to tonight's second episode and see if Mulder and Scully return to form.

yeah, interesting is one way to put it... I felt pretty disappointed when it was over for many reasons. The pieces were there and this could have been an easy home run, but it seems like they tried to cram as much conspiracy as possible into a single episode. At times it felt like a cheap soap opera version of the X-Files, but starring the original actors.

I know there are only 6 episodes and not all of them are dealing with this overall arc, but they need to slow it down. There were some cool parts, and it was great to see the original opening montage intact. Hopefully there is enough cool material in this little run to cut a good movie. I was fanediting it in my head last night...

I enjoyed it. Gonna skip tonight's ep in favor of "Supergirl" but will catch it online later.

As an aside, why the hell was there a commercial for Scientology during this?

Or during anything for that matter?

Mark Moore said:
As an aside, why the hell was there a commercial for Scientology during this?

Or during anything for that matter?

LOL. And it's because Scientology shells out the dough to get their commercials aired during high-profile programs. They've had a Superbowl commercial for the last 4 years or so and will have one again this year.

The ad I saw for Supergirl literally made me LOL. That show looks awful.

TV's Frink said:
The ad I saw for Supergirl literally made me LOL. That show looks awful.

It's not the worst comic book show on the air, that title goes to Gotham, but it's not as good as most of the other ones. The Flash is excellent, I highly recommend it (if you care to see a show about superheroes that fully embraces its source material, has mostly great effects, and is a ton of fun) and the first season is on Netflix.
... Wait, this is an X files thread. Ehh I'll get to it eventually.

Episode 2 was a big improvement! Looking forward to the rest!

Dude, spoiler tag that shit!

ThrowgnCpr said:
Episode 2 was a big improvement! Looking forward to the rest!

Agreed. While the first episode was a little haphazard this felt like a true classic episode. I still think the first episode was probably longer and cut a bunch of stuff out to get it into a 40-min. episode.

Back
Top Bottom