• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jessica Jones

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New MCU series coming to Netflix on November 20. Starring Krysten Ritter.

Cue "Don't trust the b***..." jokes.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good teaser. Hope the show delivers.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First full trailer
[video=youtube_share;nWHUjuJ8zxE]
This keeps my hopes high, and convinces me they aren't sugarcoating it too much.

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, no doubt. i love how Marvel is going full tilt with their series properties (well, starting with DD and moving on to JJ). we can only assume for of the same. now i really REALLY hope the next three are as popular (JJ, Cage, Iron Fist) and Marvel adds more characters to the line up. particularly Ghost Rider and Punisher.
who knows, with Fox rumored to be giving up the first family, maybe the Fantastics will get a small screen treatment (i know, i know, but given proper writing and casting, all things have potential). people likely won't trust them enough for another big screen showing, unless it's a small cameo in one of the Marvel films.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
final trailer, 10 days til premiere....

Sadly, no sign of the reported Daredevil cameo in this trailer. I wonder if it will be something as simple as her P.I. office is in the same building as Murdock & Nelson?

Journey2Mistery

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Purple man FTW!!!!
tumblr_nwpis11c2P1ru83j3o1_400.gif

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like Marvel understands how to make a female superhero show unlike DC's Supergirl. I keep watching in hopes it'll get better, but I find myself rolling my eyes so much that I miss half of the show.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Five episodes in and loving it.

Very dark and real world filled with paranoia and damaged people. The most adult Marvel series to date. Easily an R rated show.

Having never read any of the Alias/Jones series, just curious how it compares to the comics?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished it. Man that was good. I don't know if I liked this or Daredevil more. Similar tone and style but still very different, very much its own thing.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the first episode last night. I'll be watching one episode per night. I want to savor it.

ManicGuy1989

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm about halfway through the second episode and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's not yet as violent as Daredevil (as of yet) but it's certainly darker in terms of subject matter. If it keeps it up I'll probably finish it by the weekend ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A truly fantastic series! When the series the finished, I was at first a bit disappointed that while the series is dramatically pure excellence, it did not feel very connected to it fellow Defender series Daredevil or the overall Marvel Cinematic Universe.

But after reading this article, the connections are there, though very, very subtle.....

http://screenrant.com/jessica-jones-easter-eggs-netflix-marvel-mcu/

A Sled in Flames

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For me, Jessica Jones didn't reach the heights of the sublime Daredevil. The overall plotting and tone seem more muddled than its predecessor series. Many episodes go on very strange digressions, as the more fantastical aspects of the MCU creep in... Simpson, anyone? While I understand that a degree of convolution is necessary, as it's paying tribute to the hard-boiled detective genre, too many things just come out of left field. The overall dramatic progression of the series seemed slightly flawed; while Daredevil amped up the tension gradually, Jessica Jones brings it up to a boiling point too quickly, then starts to fluctuate, with some later episodes seeming slightly tedious.

That all said, I still really loved the series, even for boldness and just sheer ambition. It treads the darkness in places that Daredevil didn't even dare go. Thematically, it handles such a very complicated topic with enormous sensitivity and restraint, and I applaud it immensely for that. Characters were so well defined, with David Tennant's Kilgrave being the standout and Krysten Ritter's Jones, a close second. Even if the plotting gets messy, the acting and the characterization stays very strong. Kilgrave certainly must be the best villain in the MCU; I didn't expect Fisk to be dethroned so fast. The supporting characters also are well acted for the most part. I look forward to seeing more of Colter's Luke Cage in the upcoming Netflix series.

Really, if it sounds like I'm being hyper-critical about the plotting, take my qualms with a grain of salt. I would highly recommend this series to near anyone, provided they can handle the adult subject matter. And, again, that subject matter is handled far more sensitively than I could have expected. It's a good sophomore effort for Marvel into Netflix, far stronger than their second effort in the film series: The (not so) Incredible Hulk.

GRADE: A

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Just finished it. Man that was good. I don't know if I liked this or Daredevil more.

Hoo boy, for me it's nowhere near close. Daredevil had a frustratingly vague villain, a whole lot of secret identity soap opera stuff of the exact kind we've gotten from all kinds of movies and shows in the last fifteen years generally (and from a street-level violent vigilante in Arrow S1 specifically), and its big S1 finale had its powered hero smacking around a fat guy in a dark alley at night. It had a great cast, true, but an undercooked story that was several hours too long, and, between its well-worn masked vigilante themes to its ninjas, because why not? elements, it wasn't nearly as complex as it was dark.

Jessica Jones S1 wasn't perfect - the weirdo siblings subplot added almost nothing, and the plot point of its obviously crazy woman barging in on a support group and immediately corralling herself a posse was ludicrous - and this season, too, probably could have been trimmed by an episode or two at least. Overall, however, it was indeed very good, with tons of great female characters, smart and subtle writing (notice how the only real trace of remorse Kilgrave ever shows is that he once told a guy to screw himself, because he can't even imagine anything worse than a guy being sexually violated), and a truly great villain who was all too particular and credible.

I'll go with a B+ for the season, docked a few points for the slow start and a few minor missteps (like killing off the about-to-retire detective, because that's a new one, and who just happens to be black, especially after DD S1 also needlessly killed off its black supporting character).

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
released on netflix on march 8th . anyone else looking forward to season 2 or are you more excited for luke cage season 2

Luke Cage S2? I couldn't even be bothered to finish S1, and have quite happily steered clear of all of Iron Fist and Defenders. As for Jessica Jones, as good as the first season was, I have zero interest in how she got her powers, or to what degree Trish will join the vigilante game, and goodness knows Jones herself is a dull, unlikable character - which worked when she was facing Kilgrave, as that was the whole point of the series, but now that he's gone, why stick around?

I would happily cancel every existing Marvel/Netflix show this moment if it meant another season of Agent Carter. Heck, I'd do all that for a mere straight-to-Netflix Agent Carter movie. This "corner of the MCU" is apparently going nowhere interesting.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Ehh, Agent Carter Season 1 was great, but its second season was naff.

I can't wait for more JJ, hers was easily my favourite of the MCU Netflix series, with Daredevil devolving in the second half of season 2. It might be because JJ is the most grounded out of all of them. Daredevil is pretty real, but the ninjas were dumb, and I hated how they became the main villains of the Defenders.

Luke Cage's first half was great, but as soon as Diamondback showed up I lost interest. Iron Fist was awful. Just, awful. Yeah sure, 32 cuts per second doesn't make it obvious your lead actor can't do the choreography AT ALL! They really needed Danny in a fuckin mask, that bit in Defenders where he puts his hood up just to do an action scene then take it down was hilarious.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Having never read any of the Alias/Jones series, just curious how it compares to the comics?

Skimming through the thread, I thought I’d reach out!  I have read the full “Alias” line while watching the series and I absolutely loved it.  In particular, we could say the last issues which inspired the Netflix series are the most “comicbook” ones of the story, but deliver a deserved ending.  I was extremely happy the Netflix series touched upon the psychologically violent elements of the other issues to layer the gritty and pulp story they put to screen.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Five episodes in and loving it.

Very dark and real world filled with paranoia and damaged people. The most adult Marvel series to date. Easily an R rated show.

The first season of JJ was very similar to the Alias comics.  They made sure to include several iconic moments (if you knew what to look for), including the particular way that JJ wants to sleep with Luke, the resolve with Purple Man, and a crap ton of easter eggs.  The titles are also in the art style of the comic covers (and credited to the artist).  

S2 and S3 of JJ dug deeper into the backstory of some little known street level Marvel Heroes.  They're going back into old Defenders comics, and into side characters and villains from Daredevil, Luke Cage, Captain America, Iron Man, The Punisher, and many more.  But it's really pretty obscure stuff, mostly, and sometimes the only things they're keeping are the names or the images, and all the details are different.  It was nice to see an effort made, though.  

Overall, the series definitely lived up to the huge impression that the original Alias run made.  JJ also had a great season 3, and the best ending of any Marvel series.  Definitely for people who love drama, not superheroes and action, but it was a great show.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh, I never got round to watching season 3 of Jessica Jones, may need to give it a watch to cap the series off.

But I'm still pissed about them cancelling Daredevil after its best season :(

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Ooh, I never got round to watching season 3 of Jessica Jones, may need to give it a watch to cap the series off.

But I'm still pissed about them cancelling Daredevil after its best season :(

At least they ended it on a high note, that high note being one of the best seasons of television I've seen in awhile. No way I'd want them to go back to middling season 1-2 level of quality.

Top Bottom