• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) Reimagined...

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Buffy season one's first episode starts with Buffy the slayer coming into the town of Sunnydale, and she is already a slayer having fought vampires in LA.

So this first episode isn't really an origin-story. But there was once a movie in 1992 about Buffy, where she is played by another actor (Kristy Swanson), and that was an origin story. Joss Whedon wrote the story, but the studio filmed it with another director and the story was turned into a light comedy.

It's not a good movie, it's corny, and there is very little of what made the tv-show great, very little underlying drama, too little chemistry, and there were no scoobies, and too much focus on comedy (and it lacked the idea that vampires would just burst into dust when being killed by the slayer, yeah a small thing, but effective in selling the idea that vampires are different to humans and that they really died)... but nonetheless I like it, it's a sort of guilty pleasure.

I like Swanson playing Buffy, not only her more pronounced physicality, that seems more fitting for a slayer (though Sarah Michelle Gellar clearly conquers the role nonetheless). And I like the whole introduction between the watcher and Buffy before she accepted what he said, and the training-sequence is good...

I want to edit the movie, to bring it more in line with the tv-show (and to complete its pilot with this origin-story), removing the idea of the reincarnating watcher, removing all the cringeworthy aspects (for example removing the idea that the slayer has menstrual cramps as warning when vampires are nearby (yes, that was part of the movie, lol!)), making the fights more dynamic, adding the sound of vampires turning into dust(borrowed from the tv-show), adding a bit more dialogue (from the tv-show-episode "Becoming") to add some much needed drama...

TomH1138 had already a similar idea for an edit like this, he called it "Buffy the vampire Slayer- 20 year Remix", and I hope that someday he will work at and complete his vision for it, but I just couldn't withstand the temptation to work on it any longer.

The edit will be in HD and 5.1 sound.

Here's a videoclip showing Buffy seeing and fighting vampires for the first time (with the dust-sound added and that nice sound from "Becoming" (episode from season 2 of Buffy's tv-show, to be specific a part of flashback-scene in season 2) when she kills for the first time there and the watcher there saying "You see, you see your power?", of course with Merrick in the off saying that):

Password: Summers

It's baffling how much more credible the remaining footage becomes when you remove all the bad/ridiculous stuff.:)

Wow. Consider me very excited for this project! This is what I always hoped my edit would look like if it ever came to fruition, but I haven't had the skills to pull it off. Great job, NewSpock!

Please don't worry about the fact that I had already started an edit, ages ago. It's not like fan editors said there could be only one Phantom Menace edit. Why should this be any different? :) And who knows if I'll ever get to complete it anyway? Besides, when it comes to films that could considerably improve with an edit, this is one that just really needs to be done.

Your cuts and added sound effects work really well. Good use of the S2 music. The swapping out of music was something that was super-important to me but ultimately defeated me. Even if you're not swapping it out but just adding some in here and there, I think it will be a tremendous improvement.

I look forward to more updates! :)

TomH1138 said:
Wow. Consider me very excited for this project! This is what I always hoped my edit would look like if it ever came to fruition, but I haven't had the skills to pull it off. Great job, NewSpock!

Please don't worry about the fact that I had already started an edit, ages ago. It's not like fan editors said there could be only one Phantom Menace edit. Why should this be any different? :) And who knows if I'll ever get to complete it anyway? Besides, when it comes to films that could considerably improve with an edit, this is one that just really needs to be done.

Your cuts and added sound effects work really well. Good use of the S2 music. The swapping out of music was something that was super-important to me but ultimately defeated me. Even if you're not swapping it out but just adding some in here and there, I think it will be a tremendous improvement.

I look forward to more updates! :)

Thanks a lot, Tom. I felt a little bad running with your idea. It's a relief to have your support, very kind of you.

My edit won't be as ambitious as your idea though, for example I won't change the ending to have the gym burning and there won't be a full rescoring (just a bit here and there).

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have ever been able to pull off the school burning. Your edit's goals sound a good deal more realistic.

TomH1138 said:
Yeah, I probably wouldn't have ever been able to pull off the school burning. Your edit's goals sound a good deal more realistic.

While I won't be able to pull off the gym burning, I could reedit the ending so that the climax is:

Lothos trying to hypnotise Buffy and she eventually being able to get out of that grip and flaming him with that spray. I think that is a more satisfying climax than the swordfight, which in my version happens before in a shorter version.

I think this edit is nearing its completion.:)

Will have to watch it one last time, just to check the effect of the latest finetunings, but I think this edit is finished. I had to cut about 10 minutes, but with all the changes and the modified ending, it's finally a movie I can watch without feeling guilty.:)

NewSpock said:
While I won't be able to pull off the gym burning, I could reedit the ending so that the climax is:

Lothos trying to hypnotise Buffy and she eventually being able to get out of that grip and flaming him with that spray. I think that is a more satisfying climax than the swordfight, which in my version happens before in a shorter version.

I think this edit is nearing its completion.:)

YES! That's exactly where I could cut it. That's a very memorable moment, and the fight just kind of drags on after that. That's a much better place to end it.

Please send me a preview copy when this is ready. :)

TomH1138 was so nice to preview this edit, thanks again for your feedback.:)

I put the finishing touches upon it and if everything goes well it can be released next week.

Now I need to create a cover for it.

I'm sorry, I have to postpone the release by a week, couldn't get the cover ready just yet... but soon.;-)

What about this for a cover?

v5k843tvoqr-large.jpg

Also, "vampire slayer" should be capitalized.

NewSpock said:
What about this for a cover?

I'm trying to think of a way to say this tactfully... nope, can't think of a way... it's wrong on almost every conceivable level.

- Front image is squashed
- As Neg pointed out, never use comic sans
- Light-on-light spine is hard to read
- Black line at top of front cover
- Back images mis-aligned
- Back images slightly different sizes, which looks odd
- Fonts all wrong sizes in relation to each other
- Back text is "half on, half off" images making it look wierd and hard to read
- None of the text is properly aligned
- No relationship between the front and back IMO
- Mistake on the spine
- Variable capitalisation
- Inconsistent title emphasis
- Pink fonts can work if used right (See Inherant Vice), so that's not always a problem but it is in this example

Sorry to be harsh but you did ask.

comic-sans-comic-book-cover.png

Maybe something more like this.....?

fx6zaAC.jpg

It is not very polished and needs a lot more work, but I thought I would try to show what is possible....

now that's a great use of pink!

high impact font—very noss, bbob. not wispy.

and. . . just the right amount of epidermal exposure.

TM2YC said:
I'm trying to think of a way to say this tactfully... nope, can't think of a way... it's wrong on almost every conceivable level.

- Front image is squashed
- As Neg pointed out, never use comic sans
- Light-on-light spine is hard to read
- Black line at top of front cover
- Back images mis-aligned
- Back images slightly different sizes, which looks odd
- Fonts all wrong sizes in relation to each other
- Back text is "half on, half off" images making it look wierd and hard to read
- None of the text is properly aligned
- No relationship between the front and back IMO
- Mistake on the spine
- Variable capitalisation
- Inconsistent title emphasis
- Pink fonts can work if used right (See Inherant Vice), so that's not always a problem but it is in this example

Sorry to be harsh but you did ask.

comic-sans-comic-book-cover.png

Don't know where all the hate for "Comic Sans" comes from:), but thanks for your feedback, it will help me improve my cover.

And thanks to bionicbob, your cover is much more professional than mine, to make the three pictures on the backside get smaller from top to bottom and getting from left to right, is inspiring and the use of font is also better. :)

Ha!
My acupuncturist once asked if I could take a look at his website.
Correct some faulty English, typos, mangled syntax, etc . . .
My very first suggestion was to get rid of the Comic Sans font.
Told him it did not look remotely professional, especially everything in Bold Face.
He switched to Times New Roman. I would concur with everyone here and advise you to use another font.

Vultural said:
Ha!
My acupuncturist once asked if I could take a look at his website.
Correct some faulty English, typos, mangled syntax, etc . . .
My very first suggestion was to get rid of the Comic Sans font.
Told him it did not look remotely professional, especially everything in Bold Face.
He switched to Times New Roman. I would concur with everyone here and advise you to use another font.

I don't have any particular attachment to certain fonts, I'm just curious what the font did to deserve such passionate hatred.:)

Back
Top Bottom