• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Watchmen (2009)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Concerning the fact that Alan Moore has asked (and obtained) his excision from the credits of Watchmen Movie.

Dave Gibbons, the illustrator of Watchmen, who has his name on the credits, said that "he respects Alan Moore's decision and hopes they can remain friends....."

DrogoftheNewFlesh wrote on May 29 2008 (I thought this to be an interesting point of view).

It isn't that they haven't been faithful or that he just arbitrarily doesn't like to see the purity of his work compromised by movie adaptation, it's that he doesn't like WHAT they do to his material. He doesn't want credit for something he did being used to sell an insipid, sordid commercial product. It's not a snooty elitist thing either, he just doesn't want to contribute to the commercial Hollywood intellectual rapeatorium, where they exploit the most base elements in people and use them to get your money, just furthering the negative influence studio films have had on society over the past 15 or so years, instead of offsetting the effect the rest of the media has on us like it used to. Now studio films are no deeper or more enlightening than the commercials you see between your reality programming, or the program itself for that matter.

He unfortunately had to publish his work in order to get it to the intended audience and to keep himself fed, and DC is selling him out and dragging his name through the figurative mud. All he wants is for people not to think he is in any way responsible for pretentious, brainless trash art like the movie version of V or boring drivel like The League, and now we have this next steamy pile to look forward to. He's just asking to be left out of it by association because he is not involved, it's a credibility thing.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having seen the production diaries and promo shots for this film, I have high hopes for it. It will obviously never be what the Graphic Novel is, but I think it will hit much more on target than TLOEG or V for V did.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I understand that an artist (even a complicated one like alan moore) has his problems with big hollywood studios that do not convert his art but make a commercial happening. on the other hand: what did he think? i mean if a great comic book gets to be made into a movie by hollywood nobody expects that the artist is respected 100%. that would be something that would not fit into the idea of commercial movie entertainment and that is what we are talking about.

brainless trash art like the movie version of V

i don´t want to be rude or anything but that just sounds plain stupid and immature. maybe you should turn to european art house movies. you sound like you would be happier with it. i loved the V graphic novels. the movie was great entertainment. was it as good as the comic book? of course not. but i never expected it to be. I knew the wachowskis gave their money for it. and they already fucked up their own trilogy... so... maybe you get my point...

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heinrich, you understand that this is a quote (From another site) and in no way reflects my own opinions.

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol. no. must have overread that. but still: it´s stupid to say that because there are about 250 gazillion really bad movies out there. V was clearly not one of them. i disagreed with many aspects of it because they weren´t true to the comic.

maybe the guy just was a total comic book nut. He even might´ve had his problems with ´sin city´ and that was a perfect adaption. weird sicko!

:)

reading such harsh cricicism i want to slap those guys and shout ´it´s only a popcorn movie you idiot!´ in their faces...

...probably never had sex in their whole life.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[dailymotion:bufot9kd]x65tqi[/dailymotion:bufot9kd]

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw the trailer in front of "The Dark Knight".

Didn't look too promising to me. No fanboy cheers from the audience either. Dead silence after the trailer.

Special effects looked really bad, especially the compositing. Of course, they're probably still being worked on, but why show unfinished work- especially for a project with this much anticipation- before arguably the most anticipated movie of the summer?

My prediction: Another "V for Vendetta" style letdown.

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer is now available in HD on Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/hd/

jokersmailbag said:
My prediction: Another "V for Vendetta" style letdown.
Frankly, I really liked the film version of V for Vendetta (yeah, I know that makes me a heretic in the eyes of the Alan Moore fans, but honestly... screw them :p )

It's too early, I think, to say exactly how the movie will turn out in the final product, but I really happy with their renditions of Dr Manhattan, the Comedian, and Rorschach (especially Rorschach :) ).

Grievous Angel Draven

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Alan Moore, but no matter how they adapt his graphic novels, they never turn out the way I want them to (be faithful to the original material with a new edge), and it looks like Watchmen will be no different. That and after The Dark Knight's huge success, I think we need a rest in comic book films for a while.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grievous Angel Draven said:
I love Alan Moore, but no matter how they adapt his graphic novels, they never turn out the way I want them to (be faithful to the original material with a new edge), and it looks like Watchmen will be no different. That and after The Dark Knight's huge success, I think we need a rest in comic book films for a while.

I gotta say Watchmen is looking to be the most "faithful to the original material with a new edge" Alan Moore adaptation ever. How you can't see a difference between this and TLOEG, I don't really get. And there will be no rest for comic book films for some time to come.

InfoDroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never read the graphic novel and I don't know a thing about the Watchmen, but I thought the trailer was really compelling and it made me want to see the movie, and I loved the Smashing Pumpkins song they used. So, I'm looking forward to it.

As for the "bad special effects"...I think there's a difference between bad and stylized. Zack Snyder is the same guy who directed 300, so all of his movies are going to be heavily stylized and have a very unique visual look. He doesn't really deal in the realm of the realistic. It's not meant to look like The Dark Knight, just like 300 didn't look anything like Gladiator or even Troy. In fact, some might say 300 looked as if it was filmed entirely in front of a bluescreen, which it was, but we all know it's not about it looking like it was filmed on location. It's about achieving a particular look and feel. Visually, 300 was amazing and it also made a great trailer...but the film was ultimately a disappointment.

Time will tell whether Watchmen is going to be a good movie or not. I think it has the potential to be great. My biggest fear is that it turns out to be more like Mystery Men.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My problem with Zack Snyder is that he cannot direct actors. As he proved so clearly with 300, his attention is not on performance and his lack of knowledge concerning the craft of the actor is all too plainly evident.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some people have seen 25 minutes of Watchmen, and it sounds like we're in for a real treat.

Some of the footage has leaked too.

[youtube:2gbrzywj]

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Grievous Angel Draven said:

I gotta say Watchmen is looking to be the most "faithful to the original material with a new edge" Alan Moore adaptation ever. How you can't see a difference between this and TLOEG, I don't really get. And there will be no rest for comic book films for some time to come.
I see the JLU episode "For the Man Who Has Everything", adapted from the Alan Moore Superman story of the same name, as one of the most faithful adaptations of anything, ever. As for Watchmen... I look forward to it very much. :)

zemoffm

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You rickrolled us good!

While I know trailers are made to make the movie look awesome (I thought the trailer to Max Payne looked awesome... fortunately some of my friends saw it and saved me 10 bucks), this movie looks ridiculous, in a very good way.

But hey, what do I (or any of us) really know, right?

reave said:
Some people have seen 25 minutes of Watchmen, and it sounds like we're in for a real treat.

Some of the footage has leaked too.

[youtube:11fgguwv]

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So there was a full screening of Watchmen, and some details have leaked on a few message boards, despite everyone signing non-disclosure agreements.

BE WARNED, THERE ARE POTENTIAL MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT, AND EVEN FOR THOSE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

[spoiler:6f81f2hm]From ComicBookMovie.com:

Some spoilers who were at the blind audience screening have started posting on the boards at IMDB, but you'll have to hurry. They are getting deleted as fast as they go up.

We were able to catch some of the big spoilers though, and here's the biggest surprise. The ending...

"There was no squid... He and Dr Manhattan built a machine to mimic the powers of Dr Manhattan, under the guise of "free energy" to solve the energy crisis. Unbeknown to Manhattan, he used the machine to set off an atomic bomb like thing in various large cities around the world."

and another guy confirms...

"No squid. Manhattan and Ozy build a device that mimics Manhattan's power and Ozy uses it to blow up a bunch of cities and frames Manhattan. Manhattan realizes that this is best for the world and so when Rorschach storms out... well we know what happens to him. Dan's scream in the snow is a reaction to that. After that it wasn't too clear on the final shots. They did not mention a kid going for a journal or disguised Dan and Laurie visiting Silk Spectre I."

and from another posting...

"I just was a part of the first crowd in the world to see the movie Watchmen here in Portland. You had to go through so much security to get in, have ID, online registration, sign a disclosure agreement to tell no one about the movie. I even had to go back to my car and put my cell phone away because it had a camera in it. This movie is probably one of the best super hero movies I've ever seen. The characters are great. Dude named Rorschach, after the ink blot tests but the spelling is different I think, he owns everyone. Has this one line after he throws hot grease on this prisoners face, "I'm not locked up in here with you, your locked in here with me". He whoops everyone in this movie. Also Dr. Manhattan is this blue god like character that can teleport and screws his GF at the same time as working on this machine. Anyway, sorry to babble but this movie is worth seeing. I feel lucky to have seen it already. It's unfinished because they need to add in some CGI and green screen effects but when it's done I'm going to go pay to see it. The movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long, there is so much to talk about one little scene won't spoil it. This movie is absolutely rated R. There is sex scenes, nipples showing, you can see Dr. Manhattans d*ck. There's scenes where a a guy gets his arms chopped off, an ax put into his skull, people being blown up in war. This movie is hardcore. One of the super heros kills a woman for cutting his face in a bar."

and another...

"Last week WB reps or theater staff (not sure which) gave out invitations for an unknown movie to people standing in line at that particular theater. To redeem the pass they had to register online. When they arrived at the theater they had to show their ticket, have their name on the list and show their IDs. If anyone went to the viral marketing screenings of The Dark Knight you might have an idea of how this went down."

and another...

I must be one the few "hardcore old-school" fans who doesn't care a bit about the squid and might actually prefer it be left out, provided the spirit of a "uniting threat" (which is the really important part, as far as the theme and plot go) is left in. But was there really, truly any indication that the New Frontiersman possibly publishing Rorschach's journal, thereby undoing everything that Veidt has worked so hard to accomplish is getting left out, too? This last thing is a major deal breaker for me. The "cliffhanger" ending is, IMO, one of the greatest endings to any story/piece of literature. It was really powerful for me to be left eternally hanging, not knowing what might happen. I could have sworn that there was earlier confirmation that this was in. Also, why include the journal at all (I've seen it in shots from the movie} if you're not going to do this? Does anyone have any idea what the deal is with this?

and another...

The more we are learning the more skeptical I become. Now we open with a major fight where the victim didn't fight back in the book and we have a new ending with a contemporary twist involving renewable energy and a frame up... I don't even mind that the squid isn't in it but this framing Manhattan thing is weird to me. Makes the "Smartest Man in the World" look a bit stupid.

and another...

You may notice the guy claims the movie ends at Karnak, without the pivotal scene of Rorschach's journal at the New Frontiersman. This has people very distressed. However, I'm hearing this scene was in the movie and the guy just forgot to mention it or thought it wasn't important. Secondly, the exclusion of the squid goes against several months of rumors and inside information. Some are speculating Zack Snyder took a page from Ozymandias's book and is one step ahead of us and tested a fake ending, knowing it would reach the Internet. So we should remain cautious about this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com:

Details of Watchmen From Early Screening
Posted by The ODI at 20:53 (Comments: 3)
Labels: Watchmen

Hey All,
Earlier this week, a private screening for Watchmen was held in Portland. Shortly after the screening a couple of fans started posting details of the movie on a forum. The admin of the site had the information removed, but someone was able to copy all of the posts and send them in to us.

The content below contains MAJOR SPOILERS about the movie so if you do not want to be spoiled do not read it. Even if you have read the graphic novel it seems like some things were changed or did not appear in the movie. So you will still be spoiled.

Thanks to BlackDoomShadow for the details.

Thread title: "I just saw this movie and I loved it."

Note from BDS: The users who saw the movie are mc1872 and Haggardtrish. Their answers are in bold.

mc1872: I live in Portland and they showed it at the Lloyd center theatre. They had tight security and a line a mile long. You couldn't even bring in a camera phone and had to sign an agreement not to talk about it. This is the ultimate super hero movie. It has action, comedy, violence, sex, nudity, good dialogue, twists at the end, heros die. I think the people in the theatre loved the movie too. It's basically about trying to stop the world from going into nuclear war. Any questions I'll answer. There are two characters that are my favorite. [Rorschach] and Dr. Manhattan. I can't believe of all places they showed this in Portland. The movie is unfinished and there is a whole lot of wires and cables, and green screen place holders that need to be filled in but for the most part it was amazing. Definitely go see this move.

King_Kossie: Rorschach bro. How was Matthew Goode? How did his dialogue sound?

mc1872: He was probably the top super hero in the movie besides Dr. Manhattan. He was pretty good and his dialogue was interesting at some points. Not even close to the best character in the movie but he is a very rick man in the movie. He is the first of all the super heros to reveal his identity. On top of having the best fighting skills he is called the "smartest man" in the world. So he has a lot of things planned out.

King_Kossie: Ok, to be completely honest, I doubt you saw it. .

Haggardtrish: I dont know the OP, but I was at the same screening...I do have to laugh at the whole thing of making everyone sign a disclosure agreement and the first thing people do is get online to talk about it.

Kent_Weirdo: Can you tell us anything? Squid? Yes, or no? Or maybe you're all full of manure. Wouldn't doubt it, internet these days...

Haggardtrish: There was no squid.

Kent_Weirdo: If that's true...Geez, I don't know what to think anymore...

Oreodogvomit: Hurm... have to investigate further. What did Ozy use if there was no squid?

Haggardtrish: He and Dr Manhattan built a machine to mimic the powers of Dr Manhattan, under the guise of "free energy" to solve the energy crisis. Unbeknown to Manhattan, he used the machine to set off an atomic bomb like thing in various large cities around the world.

NitroForce: When you see Night Owl screaming in the snow, what is he screaming at?
Directordirectors: I love how we're all asking a question and receiving an answer we have no way of confirming. If there's no Squid, it's a shame, because the ending with the Squid could have made for some real terror.

Haggardtrish: The death of Rorschach [in response to the question about Nite Owl screaming]

Oreodogvomit: Ah, thank you. If that is true then it is similar to the older scripts we have read and not the book. The moral checkmate is indeed intact though.

King_Kossie: I'm pleased if this is indeed the ending, thanks trish.

Oreodogvomit: how did you get your pass?

Haggardtrish: I dont know how the OP got their pass, but I got mine just by seeing a movie at Lloyd in the previous week. Basically they approached people saying that they were doing a test screening of a movie that they werent telling the name of, and if you were interested in being a part of it and were within the ages of 17-39, all you had to do was sign up. Pretty awesome.

Oreodogvomit: Yeah that's what we have been hearing. Were there a lot of pissed off fans there tonight?

NitroForce: Can you tell us the end of the movie? What was Veidt's plan? What did he do?

Haggardtrish: There didnt seem to be...not that I saw anyway. They were pretty good at keeping it quiet what movie they were showing, so I think a large majority of people in the audience had no idea what they were going to see outside of knowing it was a "adult oriented superhero movie to be released next year"...from what I heard from others a lot of people were expecting the Wolverine movie. From what I could gather from the crowd afterward, most people who saw it either loved it or were indifferent...

Oreodogvomit: hmm. It leaked yesterday that it was happening at your theater. A lot of fans thought they could show up and try to get in but the randomly selected audience from last week foiled that.

Haggardtrish: The only people I saw being turned away were the ones without the invites that were handed out....no one seemed particularly upset by it though just like "Oh alright that sucks" and leaving.

NitroForce: When you see Night Owl screaming in the snow, what is he screaming at?

mc1872: The reason he was screaming is because Rorschach had just been blown up by Dr. Manhattan. Rorschach was going to tell the truth to the media that they just killed all those people to stop the war. All that would do was cost more lives than had already been saved though, and probably lead to the end of the world. Dr. Manhattan couldn't risk it so he killed Rorschach who was an awesome character. I'm still pissed that they killed him.

Oreodogvomit: Can either of you tell us how the film was introduced? Was there a Warner Bros rep? Did Veidt have an accent?

mc1872: Some bald guy stand in front of us all and says we are the first crowd in the world to see this movie: Watchmen. Then he talks about how it's not complete and we'll notice some graphics are missing but to understand it's still unfinished. That Ozy guy sounded kind of strange, I don't know what kind of accent he had but he hid it well.

Oreodogvomit: Thanks.

Bish-Fiscuit: WAS THERE A SQUID?!

Kent_Weirdo: DID- YOU- SEE- A- GIANT- SQUID- NEAR- THE- END- OR- NOT!?

Oreodogvomit: Thanks, most of us have read the book and we love it. You might want to put the word "spoilers" in the title because we are all going to ask you a lot of stuff. What I would like to know is...Was Ozy's monster squid at the end?

mc1872: You doubt I saw it. I can tell you what happened at every single part of the movie. If you want. As a matter of fact here's a little bit of some spoilers. The movie starts with the character the Comedian getting his apartment broken into by a masked man you find out later was [Ozymandias]. They get in this fight and he throws the Comedian out of the window killing him. [Rorschach] or however you spell it investigates it then goes to find this other guy who is a retired super hero. Anyway Russie is threatening to start nuclear war with the US which is going to lead to world destruction. Dr. Manhattan is working on figuring out a way to stop all of it. The story gets kind of complex and I'm not going to reveal everything but why would I lie about it?

Oreodogvomit: ok what was the second scene of the movie, after Blake gets thrown out the window?

mc1872: After he gets thrown out of the window? It shows the blood on his smiley face button and then it goes to another scene. I think that's where they start showing the flash backs to how all the super heros got started. It was like a bunch of cops trying to do good and then they started getting thrown in jail and had to stop. Some super heros retired because it was against the law to wear masks. [Rorschach] goes to the Comedians apartment and goes into his closet to find a little red button. He presses it and then this room opens with the Comedians costume.

NitroForce: Was there a monster at the end on New York? Were there countless dead bloody bodies all over the city? Again, was there a monster on New York? Did it have tentacles?

GrieVen: Even though the movie wasn't finished and a lot of the effects sound like they're not done, how did the cgi Dr. Manhattan look? Was he believable as a character, or did the cgi take you out of it?

mc1872: My brother said there were parts where you could see Dr. Manhattans suit or something but I never noticed. What I did notice were the green screen dots all over [Rorschach]'s mask for the CGI shadow that movies around on the surface of it. Also you can see the wires on the characters harness when they jump or get thrown around. Dr. Manhattan does all this awesome stuff like take apart complex engines and reassemble them. He teleports people and can change the tint of his blue.

Bish-Fiscuit: Please tell us how it ended.

mc1872: I can tell you how it ended but do you really want to know. This is probably the best super hero movie I've ever seen and you want me to spoil the ending?

Directordirectors: Please! Yes! Go!

Bish-Fiscuit: We've all read the book. We just want to know if it has the same ending as the book.

mc1872: Okay here it is. No there is no squid in the book although they have this space ship thing that always comes out of this river. The ending is basically the Ozy guy is in like Antarctica. He blows up New York and a whole bunch of other cities with the atomic bomb or something like that. He did it in a way that it would look like Dr. Manhattan was responsible and so Russia and the USA could come together as friends and go after Dr. Manhattan. Thus creating peace around the world. Dr. Manhattan realizes that by him being framed this will stop the world from blowing it's self up. [Rorschach] or however you spell his name, I know some guy is doubting my credibility becauae I won't copy and paste the correct spelling from the front of the IMDB page, he says he is going to tell the world that they just blew up all those innocent people. Dr. Manhattan can't let him do that because then war will break out again and the world will destroy it's self. So he kills [Rorschach]. Then there is this stupid moment between Silk Spectre and Nite owl. A little more panning around by the camera and the movie ends.

NitroForce: Does Adrian Veidt say the following line: "I did it 35 minutes ago"?

mc1872: Yes he says that about setting into motion the destruction of all the major cities with the bombs. They thought they were going to stop him from finishing his plan but he planned ahead. That's why he said he did it 35 minutes ago.

Bish-Fiscuit: Oh, well that's good enough, I suppose. I never particularly cared for the giant squid alien monster thing, anyway.

Moderator: mc1872, When you attended this screening you signed a non disclosure form that stated that you would not transmit, post, or communicate to anyone that you watched the film. We are requesting that you delete this post or we will have no choice but to turn your form over to the studio and start the process of pursuing legal action. Thank you for your understanding. The Screening Exchange.[/spoiler:6f81f2hm]

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i liked both "dawn of the dead" and "300" by zach snyder.... but this one looked like it might be a little too much for him to handle to me....

admittedly i don't know the comic, the story, or anything....
but the trailer made me think it was just going to be too complex of a story... there are
very few directors in hollywood who can handle a really complex story with lots of characters...
many think they can, and it ends up being a big jumbled mess (spider-man 3)

others make sure the script really works, and they have a real touch for making
complex stories work (christopher nolan).

i'm hoping i'm wrong on this one... but that's what it looked like to me, from the trailer....
it will be visually amazing, no doubt.... but i'm just worried that the story will just end
up being a mess that snyder wasn't able to unravel.
here's hoping he proves me wrong ;) ;)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From everything that I've heard, he "got" the story. I have good feelings about this, which is amazing because I had nothing but dread when I heard it was being prepared for the silver-screen.

MonkandHam

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't read the TPB for many years. I remember the basics of the story, but not every little thing....so if some parts are changed for the film I won't be upset. From the pics and trailers I have seen, this looks pretty impressive.

Top Bottom