• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Suggestions for AVC editing software that can also edit subs?

Fin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been trying various different AVC editing softwares that I found mentioned in a handy list on wikipedia, but so far no luck in finding one that can do what I need it to.

Most of the content I want to edit will be as MKV files that contain AVC, AC3, AAC, and SRT or SSA. If need be I can mux into an alternate container, or also as raw streams.

My dream app would allow me to open an existing MKV file, do timeline type edits for removing or re-ordering segments while keeping the video and audio and sub tracks in perfect sync, and then outputting the edited version by either joining or encoding into a new single MKV file.

Here's what I need it to do:
- able to edit AVC video in HD, and at least be accurate to keyframes, and of course frame accurate would be better
- able to import multiple audio tracks to the timeline from a single MKV file, or at minimum able to import AC3 and AAC tracks individually
- able to import multiple subtitle tracks to the timeline from a single MKV file, or at minimum able to import SRT or SSA tracks individually
- able to edit all of those 3 track types at once (with a single edit operation) while keeping them all synchronized to each other
- ease of use -- all I need are simple edits and maybe some fades or cross-fades, something like womble's mpeg editor would be great, since it has strong keyboard support and a simple timeline with live previews of the output

Bonus points for the following:
- smart rendering of audio and/or video
- uses x264 as its video encoder, if needed
- non-destructive editor that saves edits as a project file

So far the only tool I've found that comes near this is mkvmerge, with its ability to split or join segments of mkv files and all tracks within. If there were a timeline type gui that could act as a frontend for mkvmerge then that would be a decent enough method. I need something that makes the edit process quicker and easier, but most tools can't do that it seems. :-/

Cheers!

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avisynth is everything you want - except easy to use. Still, for your use case I would consider it. With AvsPmod and Media Player Classic, it's a nice package. (The Avxsynth port even works quite well now, so it's not Windows only anymore.)

Fin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Avisynth is everything you want - except easy to use.

Thanks, AvsPmod is a good suggestion, and I already use avisynth often for optimizing my encodes. I gave AvsPmod a try but I realize now that its the "easy" part that I really need, which I think comes down to being able to live-preview all edits before encoding. I need to hear how the audio will sound as edited, and see the scene transitions too, before committing to a long encode. There's a lot of trial and error in making a good edit, so live previews are essential. Oh how I wish the Womble guys would make an AVC editor. Its strange that none of the top consumer/prosumer aimed editors work with the most popular consumer video features like MKV, SRT, multi audio, etc.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Previewing with sound before encode is the least of Avisynth's worries - just press F6 to open in Media Player Classic. It's not live, but it shows the script as is with only a couple of seconds' lag (basically just starting MPC and the underlying frameserver).

What's annoying is that the Avisynth backend makes it potentially one of the best NLEs available, but the way it's written makes it hard to write a proper frontend. Many have tried, all have given up.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can also use VirtualDub to hear the audio as long as multichannel audio is downmixed to 16-bit 2.0. This can be done within the script, but it is better to make a 16-bit 2.0 WAV, load it with WavSource(), and use that during editing. Once you are happy with your edits, you can replace the line in which the audio is loaded with another one and render with SoundOut().

Top Bottom