• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Feature This - A Fan Edit Podcast

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't realise you had done a podcast on my Thor2 edit (Link). Thanks, I'll give that a listen.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I didn't realise you had done a podcast on my Thor2 edit (Link). Thanks, I'll give that a listen.

Should be noted of an error brought to my attention by another editor. I didn't realize you had a closing credits scene...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
Should be noted of an error brought to my attention by another editor.  I didn't realize you had a closing credits scene...

You were sorta right first time. I originally had no intention of showing that maybe Loki wasn't dead. People on the forum lobbied me that it would be weird for future Thor movies... hence the re-edited post-credits is-he-isn't-he scene with the added FX. It's the best of both worlds, as Odin's heartfelt speech to his son doesn't get sh*t on and canonicity (That's a word right?) is maintained.

Thanks for the thoughful review. It was gratifying to hear you frequently say things about the story/mystery unfolding for the characters at the same time as the audience. That was perhaps my main goal. I'll also take it as a compliment that you said you didn't think much was edited... as most major sequences of scenes play in a different order (For the first two acts at least).

Keep up the good podcasting work!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episodes discussing Panzerkut's edit of Elysium and Gatos' edit of 21 Grams have recently posted!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aweshum. Both are solid edits.
Looking forward to hearing your insights, man.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
New episodes discussing Panzerkut's edit of Elysium and Gatos' edit of 21 Grams have recently posted!

Pretty cool to have one of my edits discussed on your podcast! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha this was a very interesting 53 minutes of listening. Yes it is supposed to be pronounced like the plural Spanish for "cat". Lol at them jumping all over you for 'YWCA' (i was thinking to myself, how do they not know that that's a thing?!). Good call on the out of order chronology with washing the car. Hadn't even thought of that. The three of you gave legit criticisms, I liked hearing the good and the bad. I'd definitely be interested in hearing an episode that focuses on movies that you think could be improved by editing them in a non-chronological manner.

I actually put that scene of the car washing where I did because a)I thought that was the appropriate place chronologically b)to pair it with Naomi Watts cleaning her daughter bloody clothes and shoes - that scene, I also realized, after I had already finished the edit, actually probably occurs later in the film after she is in the relationship with Sean Penn.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A new episode covering Spicediver's edit of Exorcist 3, Legion, has just gone up!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wanted to get the word out that a new episode has been posted discussing @"TM2YC" 's fanedit, Love & Mercy: The Brian Wilson Sessions!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
I wanted to get the word out that a new episode has been posted discussing @"TM2YC" 's fanedit, Love & Mercy: The Brian Wilson Sessions!

That was a really interesting listen Beezo, thanks. The discussion ranged away from fanediting and onto general film biopics, which was interesting too. The Hendrix discussion reminded me of 'Selma', which is another biopic that for legal reasons couldn't use a single word of the original material. In that case it worked 100% but I can't speak to the André3000 film.

FYI: There's already a David Bowie biopic... sort of... called 'Velvet Goldmine'. It's really good fun so check it out. with Jonathan Rhys Meyers as the kinda Bowie character and Ewan McGregor as basically Iggy Pop. Here is the official 90s trailer...

Being obssesed myself with film history and graphic/font design, I enjoyed the obsessing over the logo and font bits...

- A little more info on the vintage Columbia logo: The Columbia logo is pulled from the Blu-Ray of Easy Rider. Quality wise, that's just how the logo looks. I've also got the new 4K scan of Taxi Driver on Blu-Ray and it looks the same. This was the same logo used for the entire period in which the film takes place (Not just 1969).

- On the end credits font: IIRC It's the same font (and same size) as the original movie but I made it much more bold. You never know what size screens people are going to watch fanedits on, so I'm always concerned about legibility. I think I could have afforded making it thinner though and maybe chosen something a little less plain.

The final "It's better than Sgt. Pepper!" was my little cheeky joke (Hence the exclamation mark). But I guess without a winky  ;)  face that doesn't come across. It definitely wasn't supposed to be stating it as a fact (I love The Beatles too). It's referencing the famous friendly rivalry between Wilson and The Beatles with each record designed to top the last. e.g.

The Beach Boys Today! (march 1965)
Rubber Soul (December 1965)
Pet Sounds (May 1966)
Revolver (August 1966)
??? SMiLE ??? (January 1967)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (June 1967)

There's an alternate dimension where Smile gets released in January 1967 and The Beatles have to top it with a bold concept album about their childhoods in Liverpool (Which they were going to do before it morphed into the quasi-concept Pepper LP). etc etc

My ending hasn't totally worked for some people clearly. I was trying to make it feel upbeat but after hearing this, I thought perhaps I should have embraced the final note the Dano material ends on and gone for all out depressing and sad. It would have been a bummer would have packed more of an emotional punch. I can see ways that the material could have been edited to strongly support that.

By the way, I did briefly start on an edit of the Cusack stuff, just out of sheer curiosity (while I still had the source files on my hardrive) but instantly realised it wasn't all that interesting.

Thanks again, I'm glad the edit was enjoyed by all.

Is this podcast not also on iTunes then?

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
beezo said:
Is this podcast not also on iTunes then?

Yes.  Search for the Gary Buseytown Massacre Podcast on iTunes.  My Feature This episodes with the crew from GBTM will be found on their stream.  Eventually there will be a Feature This podcast available on iTunes, but this is a WIP.

Thanks for listening!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Announcing a new Feature This episode covering Dr. Sapirstein's fan edit, Dark Nightmare!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episode found on the website talking about @Q2 's edit, Alien 3: Q2 Edition just posted!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episode!  This go around we discuss The Bride in Black with the faneditor himself @"thecuddlyninja" !

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episode discussing Juice4z0's fanedit, Iron Man 3 Reforged!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great episode on Scream: The Giallo Cut. I particularly agree with Donna's comments about Courtney Cox's characterization in the movie itself though I prefer your solution.

I mixed up Skeet Ulrich and Billy Crudup (who is also in Spotlight) so I spent a couple minutes yelling at the radio thinking you somehow confused him and Liev Schreiber when you said the killer is in Spotlight.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
yelling at the radio

91sn32Q.jpg

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

All sounds in my car are "the radio," all physical disc releases are "coming out on video" and recording something is "taping it."

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All sounds in my car are "the radio," all physical disc releases are "coming out on video" and recording something is "taping it."

All signs you grew up in the 90's.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:

All signs you grew up in the 90's.

A/S/L?

Seriously though, i really enjoyed the ep. It's nice hearing you guys cover really good edits; I find those most enjoyable. And Ethan made a stellar point about filmmakers being able to have reprises made, and how much the subtle differences can make it feel less repetitive like when we faneditors reuse music for thematic emphasis.

Top Bottom