• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Feature This - A Fan Edit Podcast

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank for the heads up. Listening now!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Enjoyed the discussion! Especially the history of the Star Wars spinoff universe, and an insightful reminder of why Ep. 1 disappointed.

a few notes:

— L8water? is this a gynecological term? :p

— someone has rewritten the phantom menace: lukeburrage. see the silent menace.

— fanediting has been done in other media: music remixes. DJs have been at it for a while.

Visual art, too. Think banksy and nam june paik.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
Enjoyed the discussion! Especially the history of the Star Wars spinoff universe, and an insightful reminder of why Ep. 1 disappointed.

a few notes:

— L8water? is this a gynecological term? :p

— someone has rewritten the phantom menace: lukeburrage. see the silent menace.

— fanediting has been done in other media: music remixes. DJs have been at it for a while.

Visual art, too. Think banksy and nam june paik.

-I've already apologized to L8 for mispronouncing his name.

-Really cool, didn't know about that. Will definitely check it out.

-true

--thanks for listening!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed it as well. It was great to hear discussion about such a specific thing that I'm interested in. Good luck on the rest of your TFA Star Wars countdown.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New 'sode! This one is featuring [MENTION=7560]Kal-El[/MENTION] 's edit of Superman Returns, Man of Tomorrow.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
New 'sode! This one is featuring Kal-El 's edit of Superman Returns, Man of Tomorrow.

Holy crap, SWEET! :D Thanks for the pick :) Pacific Rim and Star Wars as well? I got some catching up to do!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like an episode just went up about the Phantom Editor's AOTC edit. This should be fun!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
Looks like an episode just went up about the Phantom Editor's AOTC edit. This should be fun!

Yep, saw it too! Although I'm not a fan of the Phantom Editor's work. It wasn't nearly extensive enough. Still interesting to see what comes of it.
[MENTION=23380]beezo[/MENTION] one small suggestion from listening to "my" Man of Tomorrow podcast. I think it would be better if you slightly lower the volume on the intro music while you do your intro blurb? And then raise it a bit so we can hear the music? It was kind of hard to hear you at times during the intro :)

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:

Cool. Didn't know it went up last night. Hope you all enjoy!

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Again, I enjoy it just because it's some detailed commentary about something I am intimately familiar with but few talk about like this.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Yep, saw it too! Although I'm not a fan of the Phantom Editor's work. It wasn't nearly extensive enough. Still interesting to see what comes of it.
beezo one small suggestion from listening to "my" Man of Tomorrow podcast. I think it would be better if you slightly lower the volume on the intro music while you do your intro blurb? And then raise it a bit so we can hear the music? It was kind of hard to hear you at times during the intro :)

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not the guy who puts the music together, but I'll pass it along to him. This was the first 'sode where he intercut the musical intro after my opening. Looks like that can be smoothed out better.

Thanks for listening!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
Thanks for listening!

Don't be ridiculous: thanks for picking my edit!

A few notes on the Man of Tomorrow podcast episode:

-Kitty is not played by Elizabeth Banks but by Parker Posey
-James Marsden’s character is called Richard White, not Robert. He was in X-Men, X-Men 2 AND X-Men 3 as Cyclops. X-Men 3 was released in May while Superman Returns was released in June 2006. You could’ve mentioned X-Men 3 as well because of that, but that’s nitpicking.
-Also still slightly disappointing that you don’t seem to edit your podcast? You could have gotten rid of the cough, etc.
-Still a little research required before you record your podcast. Kal-El’s father is Jor-El, not Joe-El.
-You say in the edit review part that you don’t want to talk about the bad stuff but then you mention the (now solved) sync problem. This is another thing that you could have dropped altogether by editing the podcast after you reviewed my edit.
-As much I’d like to say I did, I didn’t create the newspaper montage. It was on the intro of the making of special feature. It did render awkward at first but as we mentioned in the thread, that was solved as well. The edit was 25fps and so was the Blu-Ray (again, nothing I changed). The intro was indeed a different frame rate, but that’s not the cause of the jittery playback.
-The Return to Krypton scene came exactly where you came from; the Blu-Ray special features. It was a BR exclusive ;-) It’s also definitely Brandon. Stills of him and the actual 1:1 size space ship exist online (and in my “Art of Superman” book).

Thank you for the very kind comments on the gatling gun/museum break-in scene :)

The henchman that died from the piano was purposefully not fixed elsewhere, I felt the majority of the audience would think he died from the falling pillars on the island. :)

Trivia tidbit: While the shot of Kryptonite at Superman’s had been removed, the primary target there was to remove Kitty’s reaction shot of Superman recognising her from the earlier car rescue. That Kryptonite shot going out was an added bonus
Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_15.gif

It's a bit weird that you discuss an overly green tint in places because that's exactly what I removed? I do intend to go back to the Kent farm interior scenes in the first act to get the overt red/orange tint out.

I will also go back and try to smooth out the land plot you mentioned, because that was my intention: to make it seem it was Luthor drawing him out, nothing to do with real estate. You had good pointers but I'm going to go about it a different way. Lex Luthor will only say "You like what I've done with the place?" when Superman is on the ground bleeding, and notices the Kryptonite! ;-)

So those two things I'll change for the DVD. Everything else you mentioned is kind of personal preference. You see certain changes I made in a different light than I do :)

I will also say you have given me a lot of ideas for an alternate Superman Returns cut where Lois clearly doesn’t love Superman any more (although she’d still be less bitchy) and Superman comes to peace with his role on Earth and where he stands with Lois and her child with him. It would be made clear that Jason White is indeed Superman’s son, but Lois chose to raise him with Richard (not Robert) because she moved on and doesn’t love Superman any more.

All in all it’s again a very good episode, but it boils down to the same two things I noted last time around:
-Edit your podcast after you’ve recorded it to remove hesitant parts, coughs, background noises, what not. I heard your chair squeak near the end :lol:
-When you want to say something, hesitate, stutter, and then phrase it differently, simply cut out everything before you found your footing so that it keeps the episode flowing.
-Do some extensive research on what you’re going to watch and the edit. If you (understandably) don’t want to read the thread before you watch the edit, at least do it after the edit? In my case specifically you kind of bring down my edit a peg while the second version -which you gave feedback for- would have been a better edit to discuss.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Don't be ridiculous: thanks for picking my edit!

A few notes on the Man of Tomorrow podcast episode:

-Kitty is not played by Elizabeth Banks but by Parker Posey
-James Marsden’s character is called Richard White, not Robert. He was in X-Men, X-Men 2 AND X-Men 3 as Cyclops. X-Men 3 was released in May while Superman Returns was released in June 2006. You could’ve mentioned X-Men 3 as well because of that, but that’s nitpicking.
-Also still slightly disappointing that you don’t seem to edit your podcast? You could have gotten rid of the cough, etc.
-Still a little research required before you record your podcast. Kal-El’s father is Jor-El, not Joe-El.
-You say in the edit review part that you don’t want to talk about the bad stuff but then you mention the (now solved) sync problem. This is another thing that you could have dropped altogether by editing the podcast after you reviewed my edit.
-As much I’d like to say I did, I didn’t create the newspaper montage. It was on the intro of the making of special feature. It did render awkward at first but as we mentioned in the thread, that was solved as well. The edit was 25fps and so was the Blu-Ray (again, nothing I changed). The intro was indeed a different frame rate, but that’s not the cause of the jittery playback.
-The Return to Krypton scene came exactly where you came from; the Blu-Ray special features. It was a BR exclusive ;-) It’s also definitely Brandon. Stills of him and the actual 1:1 size space ship exist online (and in my “Art of Superman” book).

Thank you for the very kind comments on the gatling gun/museum break-in scene :)

The henchman that died from the piano was purposefully not fixed elsewhere, I felt the majority of the audience would think he died from the falling pillars on the island. :)

Trivia tidbit: While the shot of Kryptonite at Superman’s had been removed, the primary target there was to remove Kitty’s reaction shot of Superman recognising her from the earlier car rescue. That Kryptonite shot going out was an added bonus :)

It's a bit weird that you discuss an overly green tint in places because that's exactly what I removed? I do intend to go back to the Kent farm interior scenes in the first act to get the overt red/orange tint out.

I will also go back and try to smooth out the land plot you mentioned, because that was my intention: to make it seem it was Luthor drawing him out, nothing to do with real estate. You had good pointers but I'm going to go about it a different way. Lex Luthor will only say "You like what I've done with the place?" when Superman is on the ground bleeding, and notices the Kryptonite! ;-)

So those two things I'll change for the DVD. Everything else you mentioned is kind of personal preference. You see certain changes I made in a different light than I do :)

I will also say you have given me a lot of ideas for an alternate Superman Returns cut where Lois clearly doesn’t love Superman any more (although she’d still be less bitchy) and Superman comes to peace with his role on Earth and where he stands with Lois and her child with him. It would be made clear that Jason White is indeed Superman’s son, but Lois chose to raise him with Richard (not Robert) because she moved on and doesn’t love Superman any more.

All in all it’s again a very good episode, but it boils down to the same two things I noted last time around:
-Edit your podcast after you’ve recorded it to remove hesitant parts, coughs, background noises, what not. I heard your chair squeak near the end :lol:
-When you want to say something, hesitate, stutter, and then phrase it differently, simply cut out everything before you found your footing so that it keeps the episode flowing.
-Do some extensive research on what you’re going to watch and the edit. If you (understandably) don’t want to read the thread before you watch the edit, at least do it after the edit? In my case specifically you kind of bring down my edit a peg while the second version -which you gave feedback for- would have been a better edit to discuss.

All solid points.

I'm sort of stuck in a conundrum when it comes to preparing myself for the recording and trying to speak my own thoughts about a project. I feel comfortable doing some homework about the original film prior to recording the first half. But reading up on the fanedit, before recording the second half, can cause problems.

I really want my experience of the edit to be reflective in the second half. I know that if I read a faneditor’s change log, it’s going to alter how I talk about the edits that affected me. If I read a long thread about an edit I’m going to bring the editor’s perspective into my summary, or alter what I have to say in order to accommodate a point of view with which I’m familiar. If I read other reviews of the fanedit, I’ll be inclined to compare and contrast, or perhaps amend, my point of view based off of that input. For better or for worse, I want my pure take on the fanedit and this taints it.

On the flipside, recording “off the hip” causes mistakes. Mistakes like Jor-El / Joe-El, Robert/Richard or Banks/Posey. In this particular case, I did make the point that I’ll likely record a post script to address the technical issues. So I can go back and add an Errors and Omissions addendum that can address the issues you’ve brought up. As it were, I have only seen the troubled version and have not downloaded or watched your corrections. Color me lazy.

I’m surprised that you find the audio hiccups - my misspeaks and sneezing and what not - so bothersome. I never really considered going through an episode with a fine-tooth comb in order to remove these blemishes. After all, this is supposed to be a long-form discussion, not a polished Radiolab episode. However, maybe there’s something to it though. Perhaps a good polishing can make it more accessible in general. There are three unaired episodes already recorded now, but the next time I do a solo ‘sode, I’ll try this out. I’m not sure how well this approach will work for when I have a guest, but I’m open to the idea.

Regarding the MoT episode, yes I will rewatch your edit and make an E&O addendum and I’ll address the issues you’ve brought up here.

Thanks again for the feedback!

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I find it impressive, beezo, that you can talk off the cuff for almost a couple hours about a movie and the respective fanedit. No biggie re: a few errors here and there (even if we call you on them) or a cough or fart or whatnot. It's all part of the dealio; it's your process, not ours.

enjoyed your Supes discussion, man.

cheers!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not bothersome so much as a little distracting? Doesn't bother me, really. If you say you wouldn't omit those than that doesn't mean I'd stop listening, you know? :)

Just to be sure we understand each other, I perfectly get not reading up on an edit for the first half of the podcast episode. What I meant to suggest was the following (sort of chronologically):

1. You see an edit in the works that you like
2. You watch the original film again and read up on it after on IMDB (cast & crew, synopsis, trivia)
3. You record the first part of your show, i.e. you discuss the original film
4. You watch the fanedit and jot down a few notes on what you liked and disliked
5. You read the thread on the edit from front to back
6. You record the second part of your podcast
7. You smooth out anything you didn't like; audio glitches, hiccups, coughs, farts, burps, the whole works :)
8. Release the episode

That's sort of how I'd do it :)

Since I'm having difficulty finding dialogue for my MOS edit (see my thread) I'm going to prioritize fixing the few things I mentioned for the MoT DVD and release that first.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
IMO, the only things that really should be edited out of a long conversation like that are pauses that go on for too long (so-called dead air), loud interruptions (like coughing directly into the mic or someone unexpectedly entering the recording room), or heavy stuttering. These kinds of things are detrimental to the listening experience. Small blemishes that are natural for conversation are not really a problem, even on professional for-profit productions.

Far more important to me in a podcast is that the audio levels need to be consistent (no huge spikes or drops and no sudden switches in the main content from steadily loud to overly quiet or vice versa, basically the listener should be able to set a volume and comfortably leave it the same throughout the entire track) and the host needs to be knowledgeable about the topic, or in the specific case of this podcast, the fan edit's source material.

I can totally see why you wouldn't want to read an edit's thread before recording your second half of your show. You make great points about it causing a bias or coloring your perception, and I appreciate that you want your recorded reaction to be genuine (I really dislike half-assed angry talk, where someone is trying to replicate an earlier reaction after the fact and it comes across fake and forced, Chris Stuckmann does this in his videos for example). For the sake of compromise, if you really wanted to, you could do a third part after recording your planned two parts, where you read up on the edit and make any glaring corrections and omissions, but I'm not sure that's necessary. It is an opinion piece, after all.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episode posted covering Modernknife's fanedit of Lone Ranger!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
IMO, the only things that really should be edited out of a long conversation like that are pauses that go on for too long (so-called dead air), loud interruptions (like coughing directly into the mic or someone unexpectedly entering the recording room), or heavy stuttering. These kinds of things are detrimental to the listening experience. Small blemishes that are natural for conversation are not really a problem, even on professional for-profit productions.

Far more important to me in a podcast is that the audio levels need to be consistent (no huge spikes or drops and no sudden switches in the main content from steadily loud to overly quiet or vice versa, basically the listener should be able to set a volume and comfortably leave it the same throughout the entire track) and the host needs to be knowledgeable about the topic, or in the specific case of this podcast, the fan edit's source material.

I can totally see why you wouldn't want to read an edit's thread before recording your second half of your show. You make great points about it causing a bias or coloring your perception, and I appreciate that you want your recorded reaction to be genuine (I really dislike half-assed angry talk, where someone is trying to replicate an earlier reaction after the fact and it comes across fake and forced, Chris Stuckmann does this in his videos for example). For the sake of compromise, if you really wanted to, you could do a third part after recording your planned two parts, where you read up on the edit and make any glaring corrections and omissions, but I'm not sure that's necessary. It is an opinion piece, after all.

Totally with addiesin on this one. I think it's much better to have the podcasts as natural and unedited as possible. Granted, if there were huge pauses, or something really loud happened in the background, then yeah, edit those pieces out. However, it's almost like recording a commentary in that you do a bit of homework on the film/edit and then it's just talking as off the cuff as you like, and it's more fun like that as it comes across as natural. A chair moving, a sneeze, a cough etc... to me it's just not worth cutting those things at all.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New 'sode talking about 3Raz0r's fanedit The Cell: Scary as Hell Edition just posted!

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New episode covering Uncanny Antman's edit of Transformers just went live.

Top Bottom