• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Feature This - A Fan Edit Podcast

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, [MENTION=8919]LastSurvivor[/MENTION] found our episode that covered his edit of Die Another Day and linked it to the site. After that, the links to all of the episodes showed up in a thread on podcasts.

I was going to do an official announcement here when the website was completed and more episodes were available, but I suppose that's a little unnecessary now.

Some friends of mine started the Gary Buseytown Massacre podcast, in which we get together and generally shoot the breeze talking about two Gary Busey movies. As that show comes out once a month, and I wanted to start recording a podcast on fan editing, they've joined up with me on Feature This, which now has episodes coming out on weeks that the GBTM doesn't.

The website for the fan edit podcast is www.featurethispodcast.com. However, if you want to subscribe to a feed that will automatically update when new 'sodes come out, just use either ITunes, Stitcher, Podcast Republic, or whatever service you use, and search for the Gary Buseytown Massacre. Otherwise, visit the aforementioned site for just the fan-edit stuff.

As a disclaimer, many of the episodes are structured such that I'll discuss the original movie first followed by the fan edit. Between the two, I'll pause the recording and watch the fan edit for the first time. As a result, when I record the section on the fan edit, I haven't screened it beforehand to make sure it's "good." While I try to be fair and constructive, not everything I have to say about an edit is going to be flattering.

I would like the podcast to be accessible and digestible to people who aren't super familiar with fan editing, but as of now I don't think I'm accomplishing this. If anybody has ideas, suggestions, criticisms and/or feedback on how I can improve the show, I'm open to hearing them and adjusting the show accordingly.

Thanks in advance!

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was a little bummed there was no mp3 download (I want to check it out, but I need to be able to skip back and forth on the track or it will drive me mad. I call it the "editor's twitch"). Also, If you are committed to doing a regular podcast, you should get it up on stitcher.

Edit: I fished the link out of the HTML, so I'm giving it a listen now.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ken Poirier said:
I was a little bummed there was no mp3 download (I want to check it out, but I need to be able to skip back and forth on the track or it will drive me mad. I call it the "editor's twitch"). Also, If you are committed to doing a regular podcast, you should get it up on stitcher.

Understood. I'll look into making downloadable mp3s available on the site. We are available on stitcher through the Gary Buseytown Massacre. Search that and you'll find both the GBTM and Feature This episodes. Thanks for the feedback.

Ken Poirier

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So Listened to parts of three episodes. Raider's of the skull, Babylon AD, and Blade Runner.

NOTES:

Intro music often to long and inconsistent. Babylon AD was a perfect into.
Mic movement and breathing noise is annoying.
Too long. Needs to be edited down more. Have set segment length and max length.
Invite guest faneditors.
Talk more about the fanedit than the original movie.
Remember when talking about the original films there is a fine line between funny and condescending.

Hope that is helpful.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit: Well, my nitpicks about the site itself have been fixed.
OP:
The Home page is useless, I wish the Episodes page was the homepage, or that the homepage had navigation consistent with the rest of the site. I hate splash pages and hate when links open in a new tab/window for no reason.

Listeners, if you want to avoid a splash page/extra clicks to get to content, go to this link instead: http://www.featurethispodcast.com/episodes

Having a listen now, myself.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:
As a disclaimer, many of the episodes are structured such that I'll discuss the original movie first followed by the fan edit. Between the two, I'll pause the recording and watch the fan edit for the first time. As a result, when I record the section on the fan edit, I haven't screened it beforehand to make sure it's "good." While I try to be fair and constructive, not everything I have to say about an edit is going to be flattering.

In that case, you need to do an episode about "Back To The Future - The Reality Cut". It's an unapproved edit, so it's not on IFDB. But because of it's... uh... historical significance... I uploaded it to Mega and you can find it on Info. (And don't worry about offending the editor, he stopped showing up here 2 years ago.)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. We encourage honesty for reviews, podcasts should be no different.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. We encourage honesty for reviews, podcasts should be no different.

Brb making podcasts with blueyoda where we review TRM and AOTR. ;)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great idea! I'm definitely going to listen to them asap :)
I see some great titles already (Babylon, Icarus, Man of Steel, Lost Skull, BR, ...).
I saw that Man of Steel runs 67min. I think that's a good rule of thumb, if I can say so without having listened to anything yet.
Half an hour tops to talk about the original film and its merits/problems, and another half hour for the fanedit? :)

P.S.: You guys might want to check out the URLs.
They all have the same make:
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner/ (Dance Macabre)
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner-2/ (Icarus)
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner-3/ (Man of Steel)

Ken Poirier said:

beezo said:
Understood. I'll look into making downloadable mp3s available on the site. We are available on stitcher through the Gary Buseytown Massacre. Search that and you'll find both the GBTM and Feature This episodes. Thanks for the feedback.

You can very easily get the links for the mp3s if you feed the podcast URLs to JDownloader and do a deep scan.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Great idea! I'm definitely going to listen to them asap :)
I see some great titles already (Babylon, Icarus, Man of Steel, Lost Skull, BR, ...).
I saw that Man of Steel runs 67min. I think that's a good rule of thumb, if I can say so without having listened to anything yet.
Half an hour tops to talk about the original film and its merits/problems, and another half hour for the fanedit? :)

P.S.: You guys might want to check out the URLs.
They all have the same make:
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner/ (Dance Macabre)
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner-2/ (Icarus)
http://www.featurethispodcast.com/ftpd-bladerunner-3/ (Man of Steel)

You can very easily get the links for the mp3s if you feed the podcast URLs to JDownloader and do a deep scan.

Didn't realize the urls were goofy. I've corrected them so the links you've posted won't work. The home page has been removed per feedback. Just go to www.featurethispodcast.com directly for the episodes.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just listened to the episode about your Blade Runner edit and enjoyed it. I have to say that I wasn't sure about checking out an edit of Blade Runner by someone with such disdain for aspects of the theatrical cut (or director's cut or final cut etc etc) but I am now quite keen to check it out. You did a good job of explaining what you did and didn't like and wanted to change, which is a million times more interesting than someone just saying something sucks. I respect any opinion as long as it is reasoned out whether or not I agree with the reasoning. I think that it was pretty accessible to those not familiar with fanediting since you had some people asking questions from that layperson's perspective. It's always fun to hear "well couldn't you just have changed that whole scene and digitally altered things" or "you should have just removed that shot" which is often oh-so-much easier said than done depending on what's around it. If only it were so easy. I would probably recommend keeping it to an hour. The last 20 or so minutes of the episode felt like it was retreading on earlier ground (about multiple themes, the non-balance of the movie, lack of focus, etc) and dragged on a bit for me. Overall, good listen and thanks for sharing. I'll be checking out more.

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I just listened to the episode about your Blade Runner edit and enjoyed it. I have to say that I wasn't sure about checking out an edit of Blade Runner by someone with such disdain for aspects of the theatrical cut (or director's cut or final cut etc etc) but I am now quite keen to check it out. You did a good job of explaining what you did and didn't like and wanted to change, which is a million times more interesting than someone just saying something sucks. I respect any opinion as long as it is reasoned out whether or not I agree with the reasoning. I think that it was pretty accessible to those not familiar with fanediting since you had some people asking questions from that layperson's perspective. It's always fun to hear "well couldn't you just have changed that whole scene and digitally altered things" or "you should have just removed that shot" which is often oh-so-much easier said than done depending on what's around it. If only it were so easy. I would probably recommend keeping it to an hour. The last 20 or so minutes of the episode felt like it was retreading on earlier ground (about multiple themes, the non-balance of the movie, lack of focus, etc) and dragged on a bit for me. Overall, good listen and thanks for sharing. I'll be checking out more.

Understood and thank you for listening and providing feedback.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, listened to the first part of the MOS podcast (not the second part since I haven't seen the edit yet) and here's my feedback on it.

To me personally, I feel the whole podcast should have been prepared more thoroughly. It drags on a bit too much.
Perhaps prep the entire podcast, record it, then have a listen through, and cut unimportant/lingering bits?

If I would do it (not telling you how to do your job) I would do a 10min max to discuss the original film (since the podcast listeners are supposed to have seen it already, as well as the edit > own the source then watch the edit and all that). The Man of Steel discussion was far too long and too detailed.
Then another 45min max to discuss the fanedit in detail/length. Pro's, Con's, what you would have done differently, etc. This also brings up more about the original film any way (probably flaws mostly).
Afterwards, to wrap it up, perhaps an additional 15min max ending to discuss interesting upcoming fanedits, short interview with the faneditor that made the edit (if you can get a hold of him/her), or perhaps another editor's POV of the discussed edit?

Another option could be an additional biweekly podcast with 2-3 interview segments with different faneditors.

About the podcast, I think in general it would be more beneficial to the overall allure of the podcast if you were to interview people who can contribute to the field. Editors, Faneditors, Movie buffs (who’ve seen the film that’s been edited), etc. The guest from the Busy podcast was pretty much listening to you the entire time. Plus it’s weird to hear your guest say he hasn’t seen Man of Steel yet, only for you to narrate the ENTIRE film to him.

About the MoS discussion:
-You mistakenly referred to Jor-El as 'Joe-El the entire time. This leads back to my 'prep' thing I opened with in this post. Perhaps write out character names on a sheet, the topics you want to discuss, etc?
Beezo (once or twice) recalled film events in the wrong order, and even gives wrong info here and there - Clark couldn't fly yet when Jonathan died. That's why he fell into the mountain first time he put on the suit. Practice makes perfect.

About the Christ imagery:
People not understanding a being as powerful as Superman and the Christ allegations is a natural transition.
They don’t know who he is or what to make of him, and someone as powerful as him will always be revered as a godlike creature by those that support him. Those that oppose him will see him as an oppressor, a villain or someone evil or satanic. The Christ figure allegation is an unavoidable thing. It's an (in my opinion) natural evolution from both an emotional and religious standpoint.

All in all a very interesting discussion (albeit a lengthy one) and I'm glad there's a podcast out there solely dedicated to fanedits! I look forward to seeing what other fanedits you will discuss! I think I'll listen to Blade Runner next :)

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Okay, listened to the first part of the MOS podcast (not the second part since I haven't seen the edit yet) and here's my feedback on it.

To me personally, I feel the whole podcast should have been prepared more thoroughly. It drags on a bit too much.
Perhaps prep the entire podcast, record it, then have a listen through, and cut unimportant/lingering bits?

If I would do it (not telling you how to do your job) I would do a 10min max to discuss the original film (since the podcast listeners are supposed to have seen it already, as well as the edit > own the source then watch the edit and all that). The Man of Steel discussion was far too long and too detailed.
Then another 45min max to discuss the fanedit in detail/length. Pro's, Con's, what you would have done differently, etc. This also brings up more about the original film any way (probably flaws mostly).
Afterwards, to wrap it up, perhaps an additional 15min max ending to discuss interesting upcoming fanedits, short interview with the faneditor that made the edit (if you can get a hold of him/her), or perhaps another editor's POV of the discussed edit?

Another option could be an additional biweekly podcast with 2-3 interview segments with different faneditors.

About the podcast, I think in general it would be more beneficial to the overall allure of the podcast if you were to interview people who can contribute to the field. Editors, Faneditors, Movie buffs (who’ve seen the film that’s been edited), etc. The guest from the Busy podcast was pretty much listening to you the entire time. Plus it’s weird to hear your host say he hasn’t seen Man of Steel yet, only for you to narrate the ENTIRE film to him.

About the MoS discussion:
-You mistakenly referred to Jor-El as 'Joe-El the entire time. This leads back to my 'prep' thing I opened with in this post. Perhaps write out character names on a sheet, the topics you want to discuss, etc?
Beezo (once or twice) recalled film events in the wrong order, and even gives wrong info here and there - Clark couldn't fly yet when Jonathan died. That's why he fell into the mountain first time he put on the suit.

About the Christ imagery:
People not understanding a being as powerful as Superman and the Christ allegations is a natural transition.
They don’t know who he is or what to make of him, and someone as powerful as him will always be revered as a godlike creature by those that support him. Those that oppose him will see him as an oppressor, a villain or someone evil or satanic. The Christ figure allegation is an unavoidable thing.

All in all a very interesting discussion (albeit a lengthy one) and I'm glad there's a podcast out there solely dedicated to fanedits! I look forward to seeing what other fanedits you will discuss! I think I'll listen to Blade Runner next :)

Noted.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
beezo said:

I hope it didn't come across too negative as I did very much enjoy the podcast. I always listen to soundtracks from and to work, and I dropped all that in favour of listening to the MoS podcast :)

beezo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
I hope it didn't come across too negative as I did very much enjoy the podcast. I always listen to soundtracks from and to work, and I dropped all that in favour of listening to the MoS podcast :)

Nope, just didn't want to respond to all feedback. It's good criticism and I appreciate the suggestions. "Noted" is just my way of saying, "Thanks, I'll keep all of that into consideration!"

Top Bottom