• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Folding ideas put out an excellent video on Triumph of the Will.
The excessive marching is really just to project an image of power, of which the Nazis at the time had little of.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have viewed Riefenstahl's film numerous times.
As propaganda, it is far better than the earlier (non Riefenstahl) S.A.-Mann Brand.
From time to time, I do watch presidential conventions and have often speculated if and how much planners borrowed from Triumph Of The Will.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Folding ideas put out an excellent video on Triumph of the Will.

I watched that video thanks but I didn't like it as much.

He wastes 5-minutes describing how he's going to review the film (instead of reviewing it), two minutes on history that we all know (I'd hope), two minutes discussing Lord of the Rings, then finally says TOTW is all badly shot, sloppily edited, has no ideas and no narrative but then lists the clever editing ideas, how the narrative is conveyed purely visually and subliminally and shows off the amazing cinematography... wait what? Out of the 18-minutes he only reviews the film for about 2 of them. I found it frustrating and I find the dude a bit pretentious generally (His Suicide Squad video was great though).

83 years ago...

38740292522_c09a916b68_o.jpg

The Atalante (1934)
Director: Jean Vigo
Length: 89 minutes
Type: Drama

I'm starting to hate these "Restorations" of early films. When archiving was not what it should have been, movies were often cut and recut with no thought for their long term value. So trying to piece them back together isn't always going to be possible, or desirable. So it proves with Jean Vigo's only feature film 'The Atalante' ('L'Atalante') and the 1990 "Restoration" I've watched. It feels like every scrap of existing footage has been cobbled together to try and and get back to his original cut, with the result that the version I saw looked pretty great but the narrative ranged from confusing, to incoherent. The widely available version before 1990 was apparently just 65 minutes but I bet it made more sense. I found mention of Gaumont doing a new 4K Restoration/Recut this year, so maybe that will be smoother?

http://www.filmprojection21.org/latalante-is-back-in-35mm/

'The Atalante' is mostly confined to four characters getting on each other's nerves aboard a shipping barge as it travels the Canals of France. The always reliable Michel Simon plays a similar uncouth character to that of Boudu but this guy is quite sweet underneath. Most of the focus is on Dita Parlo, a new bride trying to find her place in (and to put her stamp on) this rough male environment. Maybe there is a cut of this film that I'd truly love, but this wasn't it. Anybody fancy getting their Fanedit thing on, 1934 style? ;)

(^ Watch this short clip to see where Spielberg got a certain 'Last Crusade' gag from.)

Karloff and Lugosi team-up next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
83 years ago...

38860120131_45355ee0f8_o.jpg

The Black Cat (1934)
Director: Edgar G. Ulmer
Length: 65 minutes
Type: Drama, Horror

Béla Lugosi and Boris Karloff team-up and take center stage in Universal's psychological Horror 'The Black Cat'. A young American honeymooning couple are caught up in the feud between two mysterious old European gentlemen, as a macabre game of revenge plays out. I was surprised to read this was a box office smash because I'd have thought this would have been way too disturbing for contemporary audiences. Featuring as it does, suggestions of necrophilia, possible child abuse, skin flaying and Satanic worship.

38144474464_295853c4a4_c.jpg

I half suspect Denis Villeneuve had seen 'The Black Cat' before shooting 'Blade Runner 2049'. The minimalist/angular lines and moody lighting of Poelzig's lair, his black kimono, his woman in white and of course his glass cases containing suspended human bodies, all point to it's influence on the Wallace character.

The book's first John Ford movie next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
83 years ago...

38013901085_9f867c6e0d_o.jpg

Judge Priest (1934)
Director: John Ford
Length: 80 minutes
Type: Comedy, Drama, Propaganda

John Ford's 'Judge Priest' is a very frustrating watch. For the most part, it's a beautifully evocative story, full of warmth and humour about "The South" but it's also full of vile Racism. I was shocked that the review in the book by Martin Rubin only mentions that the film has "dated" well (His review is from 2003, or earlier). In fact, not only is the film horribly dated in it's portrayal of the two Black characters but his review is dated too. I can't imagine a film critic getting away with ignoring the racism in 2017.

'Judge Priest' is hateful Propaganda about "The Lost Cause", the 'United Daughters of the Confederacy' (whose monuments the US are currently finally tearing down) and the idiotic idea that Black people were happy to be subservient to whites, singing Southern songs about "Darkies" and playing "Dixy" on the harmonica. The two black characters are treated with love and kindness but the sort of kindness you'd show to a dog, or a child. It should be noted that Henry Walthall takes a central role in a deliberate refrence to his lead character in 1915 rascist Epic 'Birth of a Nation'. I noticed that there were many clips from 'Judge Priest' in Public Enemy's 1990 music-video 'Burn Hollywood Burn'. Used to illustrate the very worst depictions of African-Americans in Hollywood movies:

That aside (and it's difficult to put it to one side) the film is well worth seeing. Will Rogers plays the title role with such humanity and understatement. A character that seems amiable and carefree on the surface but clearly is a man of deep feeling underneath. A lovely and sad scene of Priest, after having spent the evening jovially match-making for his beloved nephew, retires alone to his bedroom to talk to a picture of his departed wife about his day. The light-dappled cinematography really brings old Kentucky to life.

Another Frank Capra film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
83 years ago...

38299617984_11edd307d2_o.jpg

It Happened One Night (1934)
Director: Frank Capra
Length: 105 minutes
Type: Drama, Comedy

There isn't much to Frank Capra's 'It Happened One Night' but when the two leads have the charm and chemistry of Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, that's all you need. A spoiled rich socialite and a cynical disreputable reporter are stuck together on a road trip. It's an early model for that style of film where the central couple hate everything about each other, but we know they are going to be helplessly in love by the end of their adventure... the pleasure for the viewers is in seeing how it happens.

The first of the 'Thin Man' mysteries next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
83 years ago...

25277768348_dc0cf5ea85_o.jpg

The Thin Man (1934)
Director: W. S. Van Dyke
Length: 93 minutes
Type: Drama, Comedy

From now I'm taking William Powell's performance as retired PI Nick Charles as one of personal role models. He glides around looking immaculately stylish in a silk dressing down, with a Cocktail in hand, never sober but never drunk, solving crimes without breaking into a sweat and always ready with a razor sharp quip. Truly something to aspire to and Myrna Loy as his charming wife, is every bit his feisty equal. The cast of peculiar socialites who they investigate are hilarious too. I simply loved every second and there are five sequels, so hopefully I've plenty more laughs to savour.

A pirate adventure next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

39135805162_e81c2e843c_o.jpg

Captain Blood (1935)
Director: Michael Curtiz
Length: 119 minutes
Type: Drama, Adventure

I was expecting a classic swashbuckling adventure from Errol Flynn's 'Captain Blood' but there isn't any pirating at all for the first hour. Instead we get a captivating story about a proud Doctor sold into slavery by an unjust King. That character building first half is well spent because when the cannon balls do start to fly, we know where everybody stands, right or wrong. The action is well worth the wait, with either real ships doing battle, or very convincing large-scale models (I couldn't tell which). Erich Wolfgang Korngold's thrilling, heroic and romantic score is a major step toward the blockbuster scores of people like John Williams that we take as a given now. Could we not have some new "realistic" pirate movies, without all the magical nonsense in POTC?

Another sea-bound film next.

Film Snob

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi TM2YC, I'm new here and just wanted to say great thread. Glad I stumbled across this. I once started a similar thread on another forum but never got past the 1920s because...life! Gets in the way sometimes. Can I ask where you got your list? Seems a little heavy with more recent hack titles while missing some good ones back in the early and mid-20th century, but that's just my opinion!

Reading through the first few pages and I like your reviews. Even if you're further along and not reviewing new titles anymore I would suggest looking back at some of Rex Ingram and Charlie Chaplin's work from the silent era. I have a fan edit of The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse that I can share anytime (public domain anyway). Martin Scorsese has a well-known list of 85 must-see films and I also like Robert McKee's filmography list in his book.

Looking forward to more of your reviews! Maybe I'll give my own another try.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Film Snob said:
Can I ask where you got your list?

It's the '1001 films to see before you die' 2005 edition. The exact composition of the list isn't all that important to me... it's just a good way to make me to watch a variety of films.

Film Snob said:
I would suggest looking back at some of Rex Ingram and Charlie Chaplin's work from the silent era.

Not that familiar with Ingram but I've seen all of Chaplin's features.

Film Snob said:
Martin Scorsese has a well-known list of 85 must-see films

I've seen 30 or so of them. I notice he's got 'The Magic Box' on the list which is a favourite of mine. It's currently languishing on a warped and faded 3-strip transfer DVD. Hopefully Scorsese will get around to having it restored one day.

His semi-chronological doc about his favourite movies is lovely...

82 years ago...

25588751398_50d7cd0c35_o.jpg

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
Director: Frank Lloyd
Length: 132 minutes
Type: Drama

The main appeal of 1935's 'Mutiny on the Bounty' is watching two of the all-time great actors, Charles Laughton and Clark Gable face off against each other in a battle of iron wills. The script is careful to present both Bligh and Christian as flawed yet dynamic men, so our sympathies don't swing too far in Christian's direction.

More Marx Brothers next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
82 years ago...

24689218827_a0c13304de_o.jpg

A Night at the Opera (1935)
Director: Sam Wood
Length: 93 minutes
Type: Comedy

After the total anarchy of 'Duck Soup', 'A Night at the Opera' goes in the opposite direction, focusing the Bros' chaos towards a clear target. So the clever plot employs them as protagonists to take down the wealthy Opera establishment in order to save two struggling young singers/lovers. The Bros had never had a villain as deliciously pompous as Sig Ruman (He'd do two more films with them) and would never have a hero as good as Allan Jones (He'd do the follow up too). I've watched this film more times than I could count and it never gets old.

Sadly the film (and negative) was cut in WW2 by 3-minutes to remove all references to the then Fascist Italy. As the first act is set in Italy, it leaves some parts understandably mangled in the survining version. Personally, I rate their next film 'A Day at the Races' higher but it's not included in the book. Having seen both in a Cinema double-bill a number of times, their second film always got by far the most laughs. It takes the winning formula of the first and further perfects it.

Another early Alfred Hirchcock film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
82 years ago...

27780492759_5a04ac37e2_o.jpg

The 39 Steps (1935)
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Length: 86 minutes
Type: Spy, Drama, Adventure

Robert Donat's performance is the best part of Alfred Hitchcock's 'The 39 Steps'. It's full of wit in the face of danger and believable human terror, which is fortunate as he's in nearly every frame. This is an early blueprint of Hitchcock's classic innocent-framed-man-on-the-run-from-shadowy-forces plot that he'd keep remaking throughout his career. The pacing and plotting is perfection.

Another Universal Horror next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
82 years ago...

27915617689_3be48792f4_o.jpg

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Director: James Whale
Length: 75 minutes
Type: Horror, Gothic

This sequel is in every superior to the original but it still has some of the same problems. The supporting cast veer too often into comedy and astoundingly terrible OTT acting. James Whale relies on fellow British actors for all the main roles and they are thankfully excellent. Ernest Thesiger is the standout as the devilish Doctor Pretorius, pitching him at just the right level of Camp Macabre. The weak moments can't tarnish the overall classy Gothic vibe of the majority. The stunning Universal blu-ray transfer shows off the contrasty lighting to full effect. Some scenes (like this one) are totally iconic:

A major asset is the influential and unsettling Theremin and Harp Score by Franz Waxman, in contrast to the nearly music-free first movie.

Fred and Ginger next.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I absolutely can't wait for the Angelina Jolie remake of this, which is totally happening, before they even set up Frankenstein's monster at all.

/nosarcasmintended

/heavysarcasm

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I think they've wisely "postponed" it for now.

82 years ago...

39003011104_6dc713a3e4_o.jpg

Top Hat (1935)
Director: Mark Sandrich
Length: 101 minutes
Type: Musical

I've watched them separately but this is the first "Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers" film I've seen. Their on-screen chemistry and incredible dance partnership is rightly famous. 'Top Hat' as a piece of film-making isn't quite as dazzling though. The mistaken-identity plot wore thin after the first hour and the set laughably meant to represent Venice, looks more like a hotel swimming pool. Also the airplane-interior set used in another sequence is almost on the level of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'.

39003038334_7f41aec54a.jpg

Still, the charm of the comedic supporting cast like Helen Broderick and Edward Everett Horton win out over any technical shortcomings. Irving Berlin and Max Steiner provide the music so it don't get no better.

A picnic with Jean Renoir next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

39699530072_e5cdda8f01_o.jpg

A Day in the Country (1936)
Director: Jean Renoir
Length: 40 minutes
Type: Romance, Short

'A Day in the Country' ('Une Partie de Campagne') was completed and released 10-years late but it was shot in 1936. Jean Renoir creates the Black & White film equivalent of a Monet painting. You can almost smell the grass, feel the warmth of the sun and hear the trickle of cool water and bird song on a day in the French countryside. Dreams of what might be and could have been mingle in the romantic air. It's a wonderful and heartbreaking film.

Chaplin's last Silent film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

39735450542_ec4ab3fb40_o.jpg

Modern Times (1936)
Director: Charlie Chaplin
Length: 87 minutes
Type: Silent, Comedy, Satire

1931's 'City Lights' was Chaplin making a clear case for Silent cinema in the last days of the medium, by creating a perfectly crafted and beautiful Silent film. 5-years later when all other Silent productions are long gone and 'Modern Times' just feels passé and unambitious. Some sequences feature brilliant visual comedy but it could have been enhanced by verbal humour, or even just soundFX based gags. Having said that, he does sing in one sequence and it's the funniest part of the film:

The political points about mechanisation get a bit lost after the first half and the ending felt tacked on (I later read it was). 'Modern Times' is still well worth seeing but not Chaplin's finest. His next 3-films are better but only one of them is included in this list.

Another Fred and Ginger film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

40008981521_d9be9d033b_o.jpg

Swing Time (1936)
Director: George Stevens
Length: 103 minutes
Type: Musical

'Swing Time' shares several of the same cast as 'Top Hat' from the year before, including of course Fred & Ginger but everything has more polish, class and style. No doubt the added dazzle is down to this one being Directed by the famous George Stevens. The songs are better, the humour is more subtle and the dance choreography is used so exquisitely that in some scenes it expresses the character's changing feelings entirely without dialogue. If it wasn't for Astaire blacking-up in the last act, it would have been a perfect musical.

Another William Powell film next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

39999153442_02f1127e95_o.jpg

My Man Godfrey (1936)
Director: Gregory La Cava
Length: 94 minutes
Type: Comedy, Satire, Drama

Where has William Powell been all my life, he is superb! After watching 'The Thin Man', this is only the second film I've ever seen him in. Powell plays the Godfrey of the title, a depression-era man down on his luck living in the local dump. One night some idle and callous wealthy socialites use him to win a "treasure hunt", as if he's just an object. He meets this and everything that happens after with dignity. He then falls into the frivolous world of one crazy rich family, as the film takes a scornful, yet ultimately sympathetic look into the lives of those that money has insulated from cold reality. This would make a nice double-bill with 'The Royal Tenenbaums' and I'll be revisiting it again.

Another Capra movie next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81 years ago...

40016429102_2bf6f04c01_o.jpg

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
Director: Frank Capra
Length: 115 minutes
Type: Romance, Comedy

'Mr. Deeds Goes to Town' shows what happens when a humble, honest, unambitious, small-town man suddenly inherits a vast fortune and moves to cynical, fast-paced New York, full of people ready to cheat him. It all culminates in a court-case trying to prove Deeds is mentally ill because he wants to give the money away to the poor of the great-depression. I detected a Christ allegory but maybe that's just me because other reviews don't mention it? (Somebody even says it's like Deeds is being "Crucified").

A Cukor film next.

Top Bottom