• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

TM2YC's 1001 Movies (Chronological up to page 25/post 481)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89 years ago...

34138345801_376b32c676_o.jpg

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
Director: F. W. Murnau
Length: 95 minutes
Type: Silent, Drama, Romance

Murnau's first film in the US, is a real fusion of the darkly emotional and technically sophisticated German film-making style and the joyously romantic spirit of American Cinema of this period. Case in point; the film starts off showing the misery-drenched breakdown of a marriage (to the point of contemplating murder) before devoting the last two-thirds to the couple rekindling their passion and love for each other. 'Sunrise' just about gets away with it, through shear narrative and film-making genius but I'm still not quite sure you can come back from plotting-murder, to joyful romantic finale in less than 90 minutes. I was still left with the uneasy feeling that the hero of the story (that I was somehow rooting for by the end) isn't actually deep-down a total psychopath, who is going to murder his wife some years after the films perfect ending.

Technically, 'Sunrise' manages many new innovations. The camera glides around in long unbroken takes, that are astonishing given the time and equipment available. It is full of near-perfect FX shots, some are so convincing that I didn't know they were FX until listening to the audio-commentary. Most notably, it features an actual optical soundtrack. No actual dialogue but it does have a synchronised score and limited soundFX. This was used early on to create the first "jump scare" I've seen. A horse suddenly came into frame during a tense scene, a loud noise played and I did jump :D . With his very first go at limited sound, Murnau is even using "non-diegetic" soundFX to convey emotion.

There are two versions of the movie on the blu-ray I've got. A comparatively blurry, dull but totally watchable transfer of the original American cut (with cleverly animated intertitles) and a beautifully sharp and rich transfer of a shorter Czech-language version of the movie. I went for the full American cut but I'll view the better looking Czech cut next time. The better source could even be fanedited to conform to the longer cut ;) .

Interesting fact: 'Sunrise' and 'Wings' were essentially tied for the first ever Oscar for Best-Picture. 'Sunrise' seems to have more of a lasting reputation but that might be because no copies of 'Wings' were thought to survive until 1992, so critically it might have some catching up to do. Although 'Wings' isn't included in the 1001 book I'm following, I fully intend to be watching it very soon for comparison. I'm also interested to see a Clara Bow movie, having recently seen a documentary about her on the BBC. She was one of the biggest movie stars in History but due to many of her films being lost (and other reasons) she is largely forgotten. She is where the phrase "It girl" comes from.

More Buster Keaton next. Always welcome.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
TM2YC said:
"non-diegetic"

does that mean non-scientology?

Yes exactly.

90 years ago...

34147672941_777affe15b_o.jpg

The General (1927)
Director: Clyde Bruckman & Buster Keaton
Length: 75 Minutes
Type: Silent, Comedy, Romance, War

'The General' fared poorly at the box-office on it's initial release with reviews suggesting it was not up to previous efforts but is now widely regarded as one of the greatest and funniest films ever made. I have to say I inclined to side with the initial reaction. It is very funny and it is very good but I still think Keaton's earlier feature films are better.

'The General' is much more ambitious in overall scale and features larger comedy set-pieces, but we've lost some of the up-close and frenetic comedy. Maybe when it's reputation is so great, my expectations for laughs were too high? However, it does feature one of Keaton's all-time greatest visual jokes...

34147617861_2c694b1730_o.gif

...and the set-pieces extended to blowing up bridges and trains...

34106214171_2a764d6254_o.gif

I love 'Back to the Future: Part III' but had not realised how much of a debt it owed to the chase in 'The General'. The trains used in the two films aren't identical but they are very, very similar in appearance and I suspect that was on purpose. I would love to see 'The General' again, rescored with Alan Silvestri :D . I also didn't realise, until I read up on the movie afterwards, that it's based on a true Civil War story.

Another Lon Chaney flick next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89 years ago...

34238191381_46e84318e5_o.jpg

The Unknown (1927)
Director: Tod Browning
Length: 51 Minutes
Type: Silent, Drama, Tragedy, Horror

Having only seen Tod Browning's later 'Dracula' sound film and given that film's fairly flat direction, I'd imagined his skills to be limited. That must have been somewhat down to the restrictions of the new sound recording technologies because he's very good in the (perhaps appropriately) less well known 'The Unknown'. It's a fascinating proto-Cronenberg/Lynch like psycho-sexual Horror film about love and hate.

'The Unknown' (a movie title that operates on many levels) centers on the volatile emotional triangle between three circus performers. A young Joan Crawford plays a psychologically damaged young woman called Nanon, who is physically repulsed by the touch of a man's hands (after some past trauma). Lon Chaney plays Alonzo an arm less "circus freak" who worships Nanon in secret but due to his disability, is the only man she can feel safe around. The third is the kind circus Strongman Malabar, who truly loves Nanon but is the literal embodiment of everything she fears. It's soon revealed to us the audience, that Alonzo is not the caring man he pretends to be but is in fact a murderer who really does have arms. He's been keeping them tightly bound against his body in constant painful torture, just to get close to Nanon.

Lon Chaney's performance is astounding as the "armless" man. He throws knives, reads books, drinks tea and smokes using just his feet. At points I actually forgot and thought his feet were hands, such is his dexterity. The film only seems available on an old out-of-print $200 Lon Chaney DVD boxset from TCM, so I had to watch a poor quality stream on an out-of-copyright silent movies website. According to Wikipedia a 35mm print does exist, so hopefully one day it will be re-released to blu-ray. I'd buy it in a heartbeat to see this masterpiece of psychological Horror in glorious HD.

Next is another Eisenstein Soviet propaganda film... yay?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89 years ago...

34250177281_ce4b56fca2_o.jpg

October: Ten Days that Shook the World (1928)
Director: Sergei Eisenstein & Grigori Aleksandrov
Length: 97 Minutes
Type: Silent, Propaganda, Historical, War

You know, I don't think I'm really a fan of Eisenstein. 'October' is better than the last two but the lack of characters and a plot, makes a 1.5hour+ film hard to enjoy. Various events from the 1917 Russian Revolution (Filmed to celebrate the 10 year anniversary) are recreated in a pseudo documentary style, with little or no explanation of their context or meaning. I imagine if you were the intended period Soviet audience you'd know these events by heart and would just appreciate seeing them put on film. Unfortunately, my own knowledge of the specifics of the revolution were not up to the task of filling in the gaps. Stalin ordered all scenes involving Trotsky be removed (as he had himself recently been "removed" from the Soviet Union and Soviet history, just as the film was nearing completion) so that might explain some of the incomprehensibility.

33539097304_d2592480b4_o.jpg

There are a few striking moments in there. The best being shots of Lenin, atop a tank, bearing a  fluttering flag. It's difficult to not feel the soul stir a little with propaganda images this powerful, regardless of the viewers own political opinions. Another effective moment is during a street massacre scene, when footage of a machine gun and footage of its victims are rapidly intercut at the speed of the gunfire. The street bound battle scenes in general are directed very well. Again Eisenstein uses animals as a metaphor for human cruelty but at least this time they seem to be dead before he rolls camera.

I watched a later 1966 re-release version, which has limited use of soundFX. Mostly I choose this version for it's specially composed Shostakovich score.

Next up is Al Jolson's 'The Jazz Singer'. The twilight of the silent era is approaching :( .

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sergei Eisenstein, Dmitri Shostakovitch and Lenin all in one movie?
Sold.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89 years ago...

34026545750_0328d6d867_o.jpg

The Jazz Singer (1927)
Director: Alan Crosland
Length: 96 Minutes
Type: "Silent", "Musical", Drama

I was under the impression that 'The Jazz Singer' was the first "Talkie" but it's really another silent movie, with a few synchronised musical and vocal sequences bolted on. It still features dialogue intertitles throughout, almost no soundFX and only a handful of spoken lines. Ironically the sound portions are the weakest parts, while the silent majority of the film is a master work. A story that is being told beautifully with music, intertitles and visuals alone, is interupted by 2-3 minute long song sequences, where the film's plot stops dead.

One of my all-time favourite movies is 'Once Upon a Time in America', so I was immediately interested when I realised this takes place in the same sort of 1920s New York Jewish ghetto as that film wonderfully evokes (only this time it's a contemporary story). Young Jakie Rabinowitz wants to be a Broadway Jazz singer but his stubborn father wants him to carry on the family tradition of singing in the Synagogue. The difficult relationship between father and son is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. 'The Jazz Singer' would be a perfect masterpiece if it wasn't for Jolson's awfully dated singing style and him "blacking up" in two crucial emotional scenes and ruining it all.

Abel Gance's 5.5 hour silent epic 'Napoléon' is next, a film I've been excitedly looking forward to seeing, since I got the blu-ray for christmas.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
God damn, did you see Napoleon when it was re-released in cinemas recently? Like 6 hours long (Pretty sure it had restored footage) with an all new original score. It might have been the best cinema experience I've ever had.... if they had an intermission. The cinema I was in decided to show it in its full glory uncut, and it wasn't until about 3/4 through that I realised there wasn't going to be one. I was thirsty, hungry, tired and really needed a pee. But god damn, I wasn't going to miss a single second.

I wish they'd shown us this in film class, instead of The Birth of a Nation in its full uncut depravity.

The Jazz Singer's pretty good too. I'd love to see a fan edit that removes all the spoken dialogue, so the sound just comes from score and whenever we hear Jackie sing. I think it'd be more powerful if the only part of his voice we heard was his singing.

I was told in film class (I feel like I talk about film class too much) that it was the first ever film with sound AT ALL. Only took a quick google to discover Edison beat Crosland to the punch by more than 3 decades. The first sound film was proposed even further back than that by Muybridge. The first commercial screening of a sound film was in 1923! This film's marketing is still fooling folks today!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is Coppola still blocking the Brownlow restoration?
I know Francis always vented a stink because it did not use his daddy's score.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
God damn, did you see Napoleon when it was re-released in cinemas recently?

Alas no. I'd been wanting to see it for years but unless you happened to live near a super-rae screening, or were prepared to see a short version in VHS/DVD quality, it wasn't available. Lucky you. Now the BFI have finally put it out on blu-ray everyone can see it!  :) I was reading last night, that Coppola had been legally blocking the restored version's release on home video for years. I'd like to see Coppola's  version too (with his dad's score) if it also gets the HD treatment.

Zamros said:
Like 6 hours long (Pretty sure it had restored footage) with an all new original score.

Wikipedia has a long list of versions/screenings and according to that you must have heard the Carl Davis score? Which is the same score on the blu-ray and is really wonderful stuff. Napoleon's "Eagle of Destiny" theme is terrific and woven throughout the score...

Wikipedia also says 20fps for the recent screenings, where as the blu-ray is 24fps, which might account for the longer runtime. It looks fine in 24fps to me (apart from people clapping) and since most of the time Napoleon is standing statue still observing others run around like headless chickens, it probably adds a little something :D .

EDIT: Posted before reading that last comment...

Vultural said:
Is Coppola still blocking the Brownlow restoration?
I know Francis always vented a stink because it did not use his daddy's score.

You can easily get the Brownlow restoration from Amazon-UK on Blu-Ray here (It's Region-B locked) Coppola is still probably blocking it in the USA, as I can't see it on Amazon-US.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coppola needs to either start making his own films again or shut the hell up. His Dad's score was only in the US release of the 1980 restoration. I wonder if Arthur Honegger and Werner Heynmann's families felt about their scores being replaced by some other guy. Granted that other guy composed the music for The Godfather, but still.

I don't think Coppola has any right to block the release. The film is in the public domain for fuck's sake.

As for the score, yup, that was it. Truly breathtaking stuff. I'm sure Carmine Coppola's score is good too, but I'm not sure I'd even want to listen to it if this is how his son is acting over it.

As for the rare screenings? Aye. I had to be in the cinema for 12 noon on New Year's Day. There weren't any other screenings. Thank the maker I wasn't as hungover as my friends were.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I don't think Coppola has any right to block the release. The film is in the public domain for fuck's sake.

I'm a bit hazy on the exact definition of "public domain". I might be wrong but if you find some old cr*ppy print of an out-of-copyright film and stick it straight onto a DVD, then that is fine but if a person/studio has spent millions of hours and dollars restoring a film and even editing together a new cut, I think they then can claim the copyright on their version. If they couldn't, nobody would invest in restoring stuff. FYI: The 'Napoleon' blu-ray is copyrighted (at the end) to Brownlow and Coppola's respective companies.

90 years ago...

34315905222_ae10e53a26_o.jpg

Napoleon (1927)
Director: Abel Gance
Length: 330 minutes (5 1/2 hours)
Type: Silent, Historical, Biopic

It's not often that you can say a 5.5 hour movie is too short but on the basis of what is here, I would have loved to see the (reportedly) 6-9 hour lost versions, not to mention the other 5 films that Abel Gance originally planned to follow this first part. The movie covers the first chapter of Napoleon's life from his school days, to early military career during the Revolution, marriage and finally his invasion of Italy and dreams of future conquests.

Vladimir Roudenko is so good as the young Napoleon, that I wished more of the runtime had been given over to his time at military school. The young actor's eyes burn with a defiance and sorrow. The key scene in the movie occurs here (for me at least) when an outcast young Napoleon is pictured crying, taking refuge on a cannon with his pet Eagle. We see he is a boy set apart from others, touched by destiny.

34423292326_89589c1bb7_o.jpg

34079586480_aeab7e99c4.jpg

Albert Dieudonné plays the adult Napoleon with equal otherworldly power. Often he is stood statue still, observing the rash and frenetic actions of others, as the cogs of his mind turn. When needed though, he leaps decisively into action commanding all around him. The best portion of the film portrays Napoleon's heroic defense of his home land of Corsica. Charging in on horseback and stealing the Tricolor from the enemy headquarters.

The most famous part of Gance's 'Napoleon' is the 15-minute "Tryptic" finale. To create an epic panorama he used 3x cameras, stitching together three 4:3 images to make one shot. It's a huge 4:1 aspect-ratio he called "Polyvision", making 'Ultra Panavision 70' (used recently by Tarantino) and Cinerama look positively square in comparison :D .

33633121484_ed77f1e60b_o.png

Unfortunately, this means that on home video almost two thirds of the image is given over to black letter-boxing, meaning you have to squint to see the 3 panels (even on a very large 16:9 screen). Handily the blu-ray also contains a branched single-screen 4:3 version of the end (of a very different edit) to provide an alternate way to view the sequence. I'd recommend watching it this way first, as the story is clearer because the image is so much larger and more detailed. Then experience the full effect of the Tryptic version. It's not just wider in several shots, Gance often screens three different shots and sometimes three different montages, to create a kind of dizzying stream of consciousness. It's like nothing else.

33639461494_b30af7474c_o.jpg

The blu-ray goes even further by including all 3 panels of the Tryptic in separate full-size 1080p versions, across 3 discs. So if you happen to own 3 projectors (or 3 screens, plus 3 players) you can recreate your own authentic full-HD 'Polyvision' experience at home. You'd need to employ two friends to hit those other play buttons!  ;) The mastermind behind the restoration is silent film historian Kevin Broownlow and his 50-minute Gance documentary 'The charm of Dynamite' is on the blu-ray too in HD. Amazingly it includes extensive on-set footage from 'Napoleon' and scenes from other Gance films, unavailable in HD anywhere else. They look so good! By the way, at home you also do not get the full "curved" Cinerama-style effect you get at rare screenings...

33639421894_4ffd9f8970_o.jpg

Lastly, Carl Davis' score is really wonderful. He's had 37 years to keep perfecting it as Brownlow has discovered more footage. It's a mixture of Beethoven's 'Eroica' Symphony (originally dedicated to Napoleon), variations on 'La Marseillaise' and his own themes. Davis and Brownlow are my new heroes.

A Harold Lloyd comedy next.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
90 years ago...

34123995190_63f032dc5b_o.jpg

The Kid Brother (1927)
Director: Ted Wilde, J.A. Howe, Harold Lloyd & Lewis Milestone
Length: 84 minutes
Type: Silent, Comedy

I think 'The Kid Brother' might be the only Harold Lloyd comedy in the book, next to the many included from Keaton and Chaplin. I wasn't all that impressed based on just this entry, so I will have to go back and try out some of his other famous features like 'Safety Last!', to see if it was just this movie I didn't quite get. It lacked the technical and comedic sophistication and invention of Keaton but also didn't have the same touch with drama and romance as Chaplin. There are still some decent gags to be found, the best being Lloyd climbing an enormous tree higher and higher (the camera climbs with him), as the girl he love gets further away and her intertitles get smaller too! Yet again Carl Davis delivers a winning score.

Another King Vidor film next. Hope it's as good as 'The Big Parade'.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
89 years ago...

34167045060_2d325667e9_o.jpg

The Crowd (1928)
Director: King Vidor
Length: 103 minutes (1 3/4 hours)
Type: Silent, Drama

'The Crowd' is an unusual film, the kind where you are constantly thinking "Where is this going?". A thought it manages to stretch out 'til the last shot, when you understand it's been going nowhere, on purpose. You think it's a triumph-over-adversity story about a struggling family in the Big Apple, who are going to make it someday! But really they aren't going to "make it" because they are just normal and unremarkable people. Two contemporary reviews reacted differently, one positively "A powerful analysis of a young couple's struggle for existence in this city" and one negatively "a drab action-less story of ungodly length and apparently telling nothing". I think it's somewhere in between, maybe a film can be too realistic.

It makes you realise how very rare it is for a film to show random people, to which random things happen, over a random period of time... the end. It still has strong dramatic scenes (the death of a child, suicide and despair) but without the usual greater meaning that these things would usually hold in a structured plot with defined character arcs.

The male star James Murray overacts wildly but his female co-star Eleanor Boardman is grounded and convincing. Murray's life tragically reflected his character, becoming alcoholic and homeless. Vidor tried to help him when he found him on the street, offering him the sequel but he angrily rejected it and committed suicide not long after. His character in the movie drinks to excess, barely keeps a roof over his family's head and contemplates suicide after refusing a job out of pride. Life imitating art, in another King Vidor picture it seems. Carl Davis provides yet another great score (that's three in a row!).

By the way, I ordered the DVD for this from France and it turned out to be the new worst DVD in my collection. Not only was the picture clearly taken from an old VHS tape (and a very bad one at that) but it had burned in French subtitles and an appalling Jazz-band score that bore no resemblance to the action on screen. Luckily I found a version online that did have perhaps a worse image but no distracting subtitles and the better Carl Davis score. So that was a waste of money :mad: . I'll give the movie another go when it gets a blu-ray release.

Next is the first film in the book by Josef Von Sternberg.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
However, I thought the last intertitle was a bit insulting to the audience...

31395941234_32b1598f04.jpg

This was the most incredible ending to the 1910 Danish film The Abyss.

Alternatively titled "The Woman always pays", this film started a trend of Danish directors making horrible, dark and depressing films. This isn't on the list, but it should be.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I've been less keen on the earlier silent films I've seen. The lack of the visual cinema language, often makes them hard going. Still at only 37.19 minutes, I'll give that one a watch. The later silent films on the other hand are my new favourite genre.  I've purchased a few already that aren't in the book and I plan to watch soon (Piccadilly, The Informer and Wings) and I'm in the middle of watching 1925's 'The Lost World' at the moment (The first-ish feature using stop-motion specialFX). So many other silent movies I'm excited to see.

This new teaser/scene for the just released BFI 'The Informer' blu-ray showed me I had to have it. The way the camera is still then suddenly glides away towards the crowd is great...

89 years ago...

34558814456_2e016e0134_o.jpg

The Docks of New York (1928)
Director: Josef von Sternberg
Length: 75 minutes
Type: Silent, Drama

'The Docks of New York' has to be one of the most beautifully shot movies I've yet seen. The fact that this visual beauty is dedicated to showing a word of dirt, sweat and grease makes it all the more memorable. The whole film takes place over a night and a morning, among the seedy bars and murky wharfs of the eponymous docks. You can almost smell the sea air, the smoke from the furnaces and the whiskey drenched denizens. This is definitely the kind of den of sin and despair that wouldn't really fly post-code and feels like an early Noir.

33790289843_ff11631df8_o.jpg

George Bancroft plays an engine-room stoker, with one night of shore-leave to raise his usual brand of hell. Bancroft is like an early incarnation of Charles Bronson at his very best. At first look, he's a brutish beast of a man looking for any excuse to fight everybody in the room. Think Begbie in 'Trainspotting', just desperate for somebody to spill his pint. However, when he happens to save a suicidal girl from drowning,
the film slowly reveals him to be a much deeper and kinder character beneath all that bravado. Apparently Bancroft was nominated for the Best Actor in 1928 but not for this film, so I'll be sure to check that out and his other films too.

The Criterion DVD looks very good but I'd kill for a future HD release.

The infamous 'Un Chien Andalou' next.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sternberg's use of light and smoke is magical in this.

Another JvS favorite of mine is Underworld (1927), also with Bancroft.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bit of nostalgia here.
Siskel & Ebert's "Silent special"

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
a century from now there'll be a tm2yc successor who watches 2000 films in chronological order, and he'll watch stuff from the early 21st century that his contemporaries find obscure but he spreads the word and lo and behold he sparks real interest and keeps the fire alive for that guy or gal 10,000 years from now who takes an interest in ancient movies which sets the stage for that human descendant several million years from now who will look at us the way we look at early hominids and is able to look past our ugliness and enjoy our films the way we enjoy cave paintings.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
a century from now there'll be a tm2yc successor who watches 2000 films in chronological order, and he'll watch stuff from the early 21st century that his contemporaries find obscure but he spreads the word and lo and behold he sparks real interest and keeps the fire alive for that guy or gal 10,000 years from now who takes an interest in ancient movies which sets the stage for that human descendant several million years from now who will look at us the way we look at early hominids and is able to look past our ugliness and enjoy our films the way we enjoy cave paintings.

Have you been watching 'The Deconstruction of Falling Stars' while partaking of some 'erb...? :D

I did have the crazy thought the other day, that since they are essentially a finite quantity (and most have gone missing), it would be just about feasible to set oneself the goal of watching all silent movies ever made, with a realistic chance of achieving that goal.

Top Bottom