• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Guitar (and other stringed instrument) storage ideas?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there. As some of you may know, I'm (though not for my day job) a guitar player and singer who spent a fair part of the 90s studying, composing, and playing music quite seriously. I live in a one-bedroom apartment with Mrs. Heb, who also is rather musical (guitar, vocal, and piano, though sadly we don't have the room for a piano). At the moment, we have only one acoustic guitar each in the apartment.

However, in the pre-Mrs. Heb days, I amassed a pretty substantial collection of guitars and other stringed instruments (all told, around 12-15, including two I have been trying to assemble as custom guitars), as well as a silverface Deluxe Reverb amp. I'm not a collector in the standard sense of the word; I got them all to play them. But they've been living at my parents' house, and Mom and Dad are starting to think seriously (for a number of reasons) about moving quite soon. This means I need to somehow move my collection here, and on a relatively modest budget.

I've been doing a fair amount of research about storage options, and I think I'm probably looking at a combination of a multi-guitar stand, some wall hangers, and possibly a bit of shelf storage. But I'm not sure what the best combination would be...so naturally I thought of you guys, since a number of you (TMBTM and Father Merrin offhand, though I'm pretty sure there are more) also play.

Are there any storage configurations/brands you love? Any you hate? I'd really appreciate any and all suggestions!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a drummer, but mrs. throwgncpr and I are also a musically inclined family, so there are lots of instruments around the house, including a piano, a few guitars, violins, yada yada yada... We have a house, but its a small one, and not much space for extra instruments. I built my own simple guitar rack similar to the one in the photo below (not mine), except that I used wood, instead of PVC. The PVC seemed a little too flimsy to put a bunch of guitars on, but the wood version is pretty solid.

F2ST1QZGVP290BL.LARGE.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Probably not what your after, but I have a soft electric guitar case with an extra handle by where the headstock is, I put a coat hanger through the extra handle and hung it up in my closet to save some room.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just catching up after a busy week. Thanks for the suggestions! Rogue, that idea might well be on the table, since the main "open space" (and I use that term very loosely) that we have is a small closet that I am currently storing a few clothes and a bunch of stuff that we no longer really need in. I've been thinking about getting rid of the closet rod to make more room, but if I do wind up keeping it, using a (strong) coat hanger might work.

Throw, I've seen a number of PVC stands like what you posted, but I'm really intrigued by your wooden one. Do you have any pictures/dimensions/instructions?

EyeShotFirst

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have my "nice" guitars in cases in my closet. My workhorse solid-body guitars get the lean treatment. I have several cheap cloth gigbags that I put them in if I don't plan to use them, but my archtop and my acoustic both stay in the hardshell cases. I baby every guitar I own, when I first buy it. I do love a good bolt on strat for the fact that I don't have to worry about every little thing. I make the little adjustments here and there, and bang away.

I have 9 guitars, some where given to me, some I bought myself. All in all, there are 4 I would never part with. 2 were my first acoustic and first electric guitars. I've never owned a stand for some reason, and I've played guitar since I was 11. Right now I keep everything in a closet. It's a pretty decent sized closet and I keep a 4x12 cabinet and all 9 will fit in their cases and gig bags. They are leaned, and I use the 2 hardshell fat cases as bookends for the gig bags. I've thought about doing the wall hanging thing, but I don't want my house looking like a Sam Ash.

Like Hebrides, I'm not a collector, but I pretty much buy guitars with the intent to play them. I keep all the bits and bobs like strings, picks, hardware, tools, slides, capos and whatnot in a tackle box. Comes in pretty handy.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EyeShotFirst said:
I keep all the bits and bobs like strings, picks, hardware, tools, slides, capos and whatnot in a tackle box. Comes in pretty handy.

Great idea! I may have to try that...thanks!

EyeShotFirst

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can get some nice ones for almost nothing at a Lowe's or similar store. Though I guess they count as tool boxes.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Throw, I've seen a number of PVC stands like what you posted, but I'm really intrigued by your wooden one. Do you have any pictures/dimensions/instructions?

Apologies for the crappy phone photo. I just kind of improvised this construction based off of those PVC stands. I mostly used extra 2x4s that I had lying around. I bought a thick dowel for the pegs, and used the same pipe insulation foam for the padding. I can get measurements on my rack if you want. It's pretty damn sturdy and was a really cheap build. It's not the prettiest rack in the world, but it just sits in my basement.

This one holds 6 guitars. The small brown case is an old violin. Acoustics fit too, but I might have spaced the pegs a bit further apart if I planned on keeping more acoustics in there. It's nice and roomy though for electrics.

guitar_stand_zps7ankgzc2.jpg

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool stuff, Throw! Thanks.

And that Bat Boy poster takes me back to when the newsstand at the local train station used to sell WWN...never knew what I would see on my way to the train, but it was always bound to be...interesting.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a pretty cool build:

http://www.eledar.net/Music/GuitarStand/index.htm

stand_front.jpg

Probably beyond my current physical ability, and I've developed a pretty severe sawdust allergy since I last did any real woodworking, but I do like the concept, and he's since added felt to the whole front to better protect the guitars.

Top Bottom